User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2006, 10:59 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default GOOD INFORMATION - THANKS

Yes, thank you Rocky Mountain. You should know, since you operate a trucking school up in BC. Hope you found a good name for your new truck! Congratulations!

With the U.S. economy in a bit of distress, I don't know what the climate will be for trucking companies in the U.S. in 2007. But I have a pre-hire with a VERY good outfit arranged already. So just have to hope for the best.

I find these days several phone calls to places are sometimes necessary to get the details of anything right. Everyone is in the same boat.

Really appreciate you both trying to check this out for me.

Shebear
Old 10-07-2006, 09:32 PM
Senior Board Member
Location: Somewhere between Western Canada and Texas/California

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyD

The ICBC agency I talked to said it would cross over, I would just have to get a "higher medical" than for a standard DL. They stated they have an agreement with WA to accept it.
I talked with the Manager at the ICBC office in Cranbrook on Friday.

He said that the US and Canada do not have a reciprocal agreement to transfer licenses.

If you come to BC then you will have to first get a Class 5 license (car) then take your learners license, then take the complete driving exam. He said that the best you can hope for is to be able to go directly to the Class 1 learners license. But you will still have to take the road test with the full pretrip. Also, you will probably have to take the Air Brakes course as delivered by an ICBC Air Brakes certified school.

I have seen many ICBC agents make bold statements as what is allowed for some things and what is not allowed. I run into this all the time with the Creston BC agent. Many of their employees are misinformed.

Where the confusion comes in is who you talk to. If you talk to an ICBC Employee, then your chance of getting the right info is much better. If you talk to a ICBC Agent (Private company who do the paper work for ICBC) then your info might be tainted.

If you PM me, I will give you the phone # of my guy. He has never been wrong with an inquiry yet that I have asked him.

As a side note, my guy told me that it is not because Canada does not want a reciprocal agreement with the US, it is because the US does not want one with Canada.

There are also imigration issues that surround it. I am currently trying to get someone from England into my school, and it is not easy.

I wish we had one. It would be good for buisness.
Old 10-07-2006, 09:41 PM
Senior Board Member
Location: Somewhere between Western Canada and Texas/California

This is kind of interesting.

If a person was a US citizen, and lived just south of the border, in say Eureka Montana, they could drive into Canada and then over the Big hills on a daily basis.

The could do this for ten years and still not be able to transfer their license if they moved to BC and set up residence. They would have to take a road test.

If someone lived in Saskatchewan, had a class one license and NEVER driven in the mountains in BC, they would be able to transfer their license straight across.

I know who I would rather see driving in BC.

Ah...don't you just love Government Think? (wait, that is an oxymoron isn't it??)
Old 10-07-2006, 10:00 PM

Thanks for the info RMPD. Eventually I want to move into BC and will need to know all I will need so the transition is a smooth one.