User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2006, 05:53 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

The Gordon recruiter called me yesterday and left a message on my cell phone. I called him back and left a message on his voice mail so now we're playing phone tag. I'll try calling him back again later this morning.

Last night was our first time in the yard with the trucks. We went over installing tire chains, pre-trip inspection, and then hooking up the trailer. We all got a turn at doing that. I've driven an M1 Tank, but let me tell you, driving a big rig is 10 times better, at least for me. The instructor even let me back the truck into its parking space afterwards because I was the last driver of the night.

Tonight we're supposed to go down to the Port of Tacoma to practice driving for real. Looking forward to that.

CDS was my best choice by far. I had originally looked into going with Schneider but backed out. Their school was in Southern California. I also looked at Swift because their school is closer (Portland), but that didn't happen either. The main reasons I went with a local school are that my research found that CDS was highly recommended by others and because I could fit it into my work schedule. It really was a no-brainer at that point. With both Schneider and Swift I would have had to get out first, taking a big risk of unemployment if I would have failed for any reason. So, yes, I paid the tuition for CDS out of my own pocket but it was worth it.
Old 10-02-2006, 01:21 AM
Rookie

How's everything going with you so far? I am supposed to test for my cdl this Saturday (oct. 7). Hopefully, everything will go well. The biggest challenge will be backing up. Thankfully the DMV is coming to our facility to do the testing. So, we will be right at home. I also just hope I don't get nervous and choke when they are sitting next to me. Don't want to hit a curb, or shut the engine off. Hopefully all will go well.
Old 10-03-2006, 09:56 AM
Rookie

I just retired on friday, now unemployed. I was also looking at CDS, how does the cost of this course compare to other courses? Seems expensive, but anyway, I've just found this website and just started to look into driving trucks, I used to drive trucks years ago in the Army. I just retired from the Coast Guard, driving boats for the last 15 years.

Tony
Old 10-05-2006, 08:44 PM
Rookie

Tony,

The cost for going to CDS was comparable to other schools I looked at. It is pricey, but you get what you pay for. The instructors at CDS are all excellent and the training and equipment is top notch. You won't go wrong by going to their school. Good luck to you.
Old 10-05-2006, 08:54 PM
Rookie

Jbroad572,

You'll do fine on your test. I tested this morning with Evelyn and, believe me, if I can do it anyone can. Breezed through the pre-trip and then drove around the course with no problems. Then came the backing up part. I had two pull-ups on the angle part and did the straight line backing in one try, but I ended up with a 4 on the backing because I forgot to turn on the flashers first. Stupid mistake, but hey it's over. I ran straight down to the DMV to get my license before the ink dried on the paper. It's a great feeling.

You're testing on Saturday? How is that? I thought you were in the day class (I think I know who you are), and we graduate on Friday. Either way, best of luck to you.
Old 10-06-2006, 01:26 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianM98
Jbroad572,

You'll do fine on your test. I tested this morning with Evelyn and, believe me, if I can do it anyone can. Breezed through the pre-trip and then drove around the course with no problems. Then came the backing up part. I had two pull-ups on the angle part and did the straight line backing in one try, but I ended up with a 4 on the backing because I forgot to turn on the flashers first. Stupid mistake, but hey it's over. I ran straight down to the DMV to get my license before the ink dried on the paper. It's a great feeling.

You're testing on Saturday? How is that? I thought you were in the day class (I think I know who you are), and we graduate on Friday. Either way, best of luck to you.
Hey, congrats on passing. Yea, I test on Saturday. I'm not worried about it at all. I've been doing really good on my backing and don't think I will choke on that. The route is pretty simple.... There's just one really tight right turn that I brushed today, but as long as I don't run over it I should be good. I have the pre trip and brake test memorized. It's been a fast 3 weeks. Ready to get it over. Hopefully it will go very smoothly without any hiccups.

Today I went on a trial run with one of the instructors and he scored me a 96. Scratched 2 gears I think and scraped that dag on curb.

I don't think we go to the same school, I probably should have stated in my first reply, I start school the same day, but at American Truck Training in Tulsa, OK.
Old 10-07-2006, 03:00 PM
Rookie

Hey Brian,

Congrats! :lol: :lol: on passing your test.

How was the CDS program?

Cheers,
Landog
Old 10-07-2006, 09:36 PM
Rookie

Finished the DMV test today with a 98.... Everything went smoothly, except coming out the yard I could not get into 5th gear whatsoever. Never happened before. But talk about grinding.... ops: I think my rpm's were too low or something. I told the DMV lady if she wasn't in that seat I wouldn't have done that, hehe. Did the backup very nicely with one pullup, that wasn't really needed, but want to be as straight as possible.
Well, just an uppdate....
3 weeks total... I'd definitely recommend American Truck Training to anyone interested.