User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2012, 02:41 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganDriver View Post
I must confess. The last couple of book purchases I've made have been paper books. More than anything, as cool as ebooks are, with a real book, I'll somehow remember where the information in the book is and be able to find it again. How that visual image thing works, I can't say, but somehow I like it better than a search engine.

I've flip-flopped. I prefer real books.

Edit: I will say this though. You'd think that if you buy a paper book on Amazon, you'd also have access to the ebook. That would be great for those times you didn't think to bring a book with you, or for those times when an ebook search is what you need. I mean, if you've paid for the content, then you have paid for the content and should have rights to it.
I bought a Kindle last year. Felt I had to, because I'd published a book and brought it out as both an ebook and as a paperback. This was purely a marketing decision. Sales have been 50/50; I have no idea what that means.

Like you, I prefer paper books--could be a generational thing. The content's the same, but somehow it isn't. I've ordered three ebooks since buying the Kindle and 20-30 REAL books (I read a lot).

Saying we should have rights to the content in both formats is a bit like saying, "I bought a CD, so I should also receive a tape and a vinyl record for the price of the CD." I mean that in a friendly way. Media products do cost money to produce and market; I can't sell my ebook for $2.99 and give you the paperback, and I can't sell the paperback for what it sells for and give you the ebook. I'd like to, but I can't.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:28 AM
Rookie
Default Kindle

I love my Kindle. You can also download audible books and listen to them. Amazon also has alot of free books available, just go to area you are interested in and click on price low to highest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganDriver View Post
Who else is using a Kindle? Earlier today I was in Best Buy and impulse bought one. I'm pumped. It's very easy to read on and I didn't know this before, but you can download a sample chapter for most books so you can make sure you like the writer's style before you buy.

I bought a stock picker's book for about $13 because noone on the planet is worse at picking stocks than I am and I'm too dumb to just give up. And I was checking out a technical book and just downloaded a free chapter and they included the foreword and introduction besides chapter 1 so I can see if I like the feel before buying.

It's too bad all titles aren't available on Kindle yet. Anybody got a must-read pick for a novel? The last novel I read was probably 30 years ago. It seems I just read to gather information now and that's a shame. I used to enjoy getting lost in a good book.

I bought the $135 Kindle - it's basic (but no advertising) - and it's wifi only, which I don't see being a problem. The screen is only 6" but it feels much bigger to me. I've thought about trying to read books on my smartphone but no, ain't gonna go there.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:32 PM
Rookie

Be sure and read Andy Adam's log of a cowboy. All of his books are terrific. Some are free or $1.00 each from Amazon Kindle store. amwilk