User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2009, 01:39 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Alrighty then, heres the scoop, DON'T BUY A RADIO FROM THOSE GUYS!!! I recieved my radio on dec. 7th, and it took another week before the wiring harness arived. That not withstanding, I went ahead and got the work done to install the radio without the harness that I had ordered. Now, I currently run a connex 4600 turbo, and get nothing but flowers when I'm rollin down the road. The echo sounds good, not overdone, and I'm not one of those guys who runs his mike gain wide open so I'm not screamin at people when I talk. I purchased a connex 4300-300 from radioactive and was never told that the echo board was a digital board, and if you know what I'm talkin about, you know that the new digital boards are what give the magnums, and strykers that tinny, strange sounding echo. Thats atleast my understanding, and if you've ever heard a stryker or magnum, you know the difference in a connex. That said, I found out about that when I tried to dial in my echo. I got it bench tested, and didn't tell the tech where I got my radio so that he wouldn't immediately freak out and talk crap. I wanted an unbiased look at what I had. The numbers were good, 325 rms, 450-490 pep, the radio had a 72 watt deadkey with the amp on, and a 1 watt deadkey with the amp switch off. the numbers impressed me but I needed to hear what other drivers had to say. I keyed up with the power on and the mike gain adjusted and I made the adjustments by talking to the radio shop that I was sitting right in front of. At the time the radio guy told me that there was a weird humm in the background, with the amp on and off. Anyway, I keyed up on 19 and even other drivers said that there was a weird humm, so the tech wasn't just trying to get into it to make some cash. I got out on the road and continued to try and dial it in with no possitive outcome. All in all, the things that they do at radioactive, you can get a good tech to do for you, and if you know a good tech, stick with him. Radioactive is a waste of money, all talk, no go. The radio has the power, but if it sounds like crap, whats the point. And think about this, they call their super mod, a superwhackpack and now I know why, because the radio sounds like they opened it up and "whacked" it with a hammer. This is my view on the subject, don't lose over 900 big ones like I did, go with what you know. Please feel free to ask me any questions and I'll try to get back to you in timely fashion. don't get screwed like me, ask before you buy.
Old 12-26-2009, 03:59 PM
Board Regular

Thanks! I'll look elsewhere

-Jack Kerouac, "Mexico City Blues"
Old 12-26-2009, 08:01 PM
Rookie

Yeah, no problem, I just hate it but we all get had every once in a while. I'm just glad that someone saved themselves the headache of getting all excited about a product, and then had the reality set in that you bought something and are to ashamed to talk on it. Oh well, live and learn.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:37 AM
Rookie

Yeah that really sucks what happened. Ive looked at the superwhackpack & thort hmmm.... Sounds tempting cos we all want our radios to sound really good, i wondered is there that much more you can do with a radio? Unfortunately for you we all know now. It gets me that it was shipped to you with that humm in it, shouldnt that have been tested with some radio checks before it was sent out of the shop? Hope you can sort it out without to much more exspense. Would be curious to know what was wrong with it.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:53 PM
Senior Board Member

I myself have a connex 4600 turbo and love it. im interested in how it compares, u said the echo was digital on the 4300-300. One problem i have is that the radio seems to get hot quick with the built in linear on. Mind you ive been running the power off the dash terminals, not straight off the battery. Id prefer straight off the battery and would recommend that to anyone but my co. would fire my ***** if i did that in their truck...i guess they assume im not an ASE certified mechanic that can wire better than most...
At what level do you keep your mic volume??
Old 02-07-2011, 02:14 PM
crb
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

No stay away from Radioactive, if you want a great radio check with the cb shop next to Petro in West Memphis, AR they have treated me well.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:25 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

The last "radioactive" radio I know of was something like a Zenith Transoceanic. Some of the low filament voltage vacuum tubes did have radoactive components in them. Not enough to do any harm, but there all the same. When you took a new tube out of the box, it did have the radioactive emblem on the box. As far as I know, transistors and ICs do not have radioactive components in them.

So... Now about that site you were talking about... Never heard of them....

Old 04-04-2013, 11:37 PM
Rookie
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

I bought 2 radios from these yoyo's. I bought an RCI 2970N2 For my mobile. It never worked right. I sent it back to them. It was months and months before I heard from them. They actually charged me for the repair!
I bought an RCI 2995 DX for my base station at the same time. It lasted maybe a week before I lost power in it. No dead key power at all. It still broadcasts on the swing but nothing like it is supposed to.
I will NEVER buy anything else from them. That superwack pack voids any warranty from mfg.
They cashedy MO on Feb. 25 and still no sign of my hopefully repaired RCI 2970N2. I am not getting my hopes up. Expensive mistake ordering from these guys.
BUYER BEWARE!