User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2009, 01:42 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

what about map and software updates? are they available? cost?

Old 02-21-2009, 04:04 AM
Senior Board Member

Personally, I'm DONE with ALK. After their major F-up with CoPilot 11 and not releasing any patches for it, and now they say the next version won't be out until November at the earliest.

Sorry, they charge WAY too much money for a product that they don't support, and don't seem to care about. A year and a half for a release? Screw that.
Old 02-23-2009, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3fan View Post
They are not available as yet becasue the product is brand new. When we ask, they say that they are working on an upgrade policy now that is likely to involve using the SD card slot located on the right side of the units. As Malaki has said, they don't have a great track record with the CoPilot 11 upgrade policy and he is justifiably upset with that. When I hear solid info on the upgrade policy I'll hit this thread.
Old 05-21-2009, 05:58 PM
Board Regular

I’ve been using Streets & Trips for years. It’s all you need. I also loaded a **** load of POIs from POI factory. However, more often than not they weren’t in the correct places so I gave up on that. Anyway, my wife got me the Truck Stops Plus template for Christmas. It is an add-on template that adds all the truck stops, rest areas, turnpike travel plazas, picnic areas, scales, super walmarts, etc. You can find and route to truck stops in 1/50 the time it takes to do it with a truck stop directory Plus you can check for restricted routes and low clearances with it too. I don’t know how they do it but it’s super accurate and I can’t recommend it enough. She bought it from ebay but they also have a website where they sell it too.

As for as truck specific routing, I was reading on another website that it is impossible since the maps are always at best 2 to 3 years old at the time they are released for sale to the public. Which is why they always have roads missing. Therefore, if someone comes out with a GPS for trucks it will be like playing Russian roulette. I would never trust my career to anything unless I knew for sure it was fool proof. GPS systems are wonderful tools, especially on foggy nights, but you still have to use common sense and can’t depend on them a 100 percent. If you could, they would just do away with us truck drivers and use robots instead.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:42 PM
Default PCM43 update

Quote:
Ok, they put up a site for the Navigator updates here: PC*MILER Navigator new software

I've been testing it this week and here is what I can report on it:

- Large update to the maps. Thousands of new address, corrections, and new roads. Trucking restrictions and low bridges, etc, also extensively updated.

- Some small cosmetic changes to the software.

- Fixed the "false warnings" about being on a "trucking restricted" road (especially in Illinois.)

- Points of interest, including truck stops and weigh stations updated. A huge addition to these in Canada also.

They want $99 for the annual update unless you got one after June 15th (in which it is then free.)
Old 07-22-2009, 11:51 PM
Default Truck GPS features comparison

On a related note, I have been beating the crap out of the PC Miler, Garmin 465T, and Goodyear GY500X trucker GPS's for the last 2 months due to all of the questions we are getting about the "differences." I created a large chart so drivers can get a clearer picture as to what we have found to be the differences between them here: Truck driver GPS review comparison and rating features - Garmin, PC Miler, and Goodyear
Old 07-23-2009, 01:13 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselBoss View Post
On a related note, I have been beating the crap out of the PC Miler, Garmin 465T, and Goodyear GY500X trucker GPS's for the last 2 months due to all of the questions we are getting about the "differences." I created a large chart so drivers can get a clearer picture as to what we have found to be the differences between them here: Truck driver GPS review comparison and rating features - Garmin, PC Miler, and Goodyear

Interesting. To me the Goodyear is out, and looks like by comparison the PcMiler is a better option for $150 less than the Garmin. Would be interested in your comments after using them to see if I'm close on my assumptions?

Old 07-24-2009, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Interesting. To me the Goodyear is out, and looks like by comparison the PcMiler is a better option for $150 less than the Garmin. Would be interested in your comments after using them to see if I'm close on my assumptions?
Pretty close. One of the complaints I have about all 3 of the current units is that the screen needs to be a little bigger and the units somewhat louder. In 2 weeks we'll be pushing out the 5" and 7" PC Miler with the new software. All things considered, I thing the PCM540 will be the one to beat very shortly (at $100 less than the smaller Garmin as well.)