User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2007, 08:03 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Power Inverters

Sup Everyone,
Since i'm going with laptop and gps software for driving, i started looking for a power inverter and from what i gathered from schneider (company i used to work for) they said that i could only use a 400watt inverter.now since i'm going to be a company driver again i was wondering if there's a cut-off limit to what i should buy to be safe for me and for the companys truck...i know nothing about these things and i know most of you have them or know alot about them...
I will be running the laptop on it and i want option to plug in maybe 2 other things ...maybe charge cell phone also at same time as laptop..i will use a coffee maker but that'll be when nothing else is plugged in...am i missing things that i might need in the future?

So far i have gotten laptop and about to order copilot 9 laptop (haven't made the decision on getting software only and using Mircosoft streets GPS for copilot)..touch screens are not in my budget right now...i have been looking at the swivel mounts for company drivers..but i might not be able to use it if a company says no u can't ....i was looking at one that needs only to lossen bolts...this is hard to figure out ...where i can put the laptop and not make it dangerous for me or the laptop....

also how can i insure the laptop if it gets stolen or ruined by accident ...can i do this...
I'm justs a little concerned about this...

thank
Be Safe Out There!
Old 08-04-2007, 09:13 PM
Senior Board Member

If all you can use is a plug in inverter, the 400 watt is the largest you can get, though depending on the wiring used going to the 12v outlet you may only actually get 250-300 watts of real power out of it.

BTW: A 110v coffee maker will not run on a 400 watt inverter. Coffee makers typically range anywhere from 1000-1500 watts.
Old 08-04-2007, 11:19 PM
Senior Board Member

This is the one I just bought:
http://www.cssauction.com/product/__...-inverter.html

Picked it up from T/A for something like $30. It plugs directly into a 12v socket, so there's no wiring to mess with.

The inverter runs my laptop, usb hub, external hard drive, bluetooth headset charger and printer with no problems whatsoever. I charge my cell phone on the 12v adapter in the front of the truck. I do have a small APC battery backup for everything. The only reason I have this is because the battery in the notebook is dying (about 1 1/2 years old) and when I start the truck, the inverter shuts off for a few seconds. The software for the battery backup shows pretty much constant 110 voltage, so it's a pretty stable inverter. Well worth the money in my book.

I have a 1,500 watt inverter, but just haven't had the need to have it installed. I'm home enough that I don't worry about having a microwave, and the Rubbermaid 12v cooler does a great job at keeping my drinks nice and cold.

You can get a 12v coffee maker, but I hear they're pretty slow. I've never used one, so I can't comment on it.
Old 08-05-2007, 12:01 AM

Thank for info ..i just bought that inverter..(it'll show only 3 left now :P)..thats a good deal i couldn't pass it up.the clamps kinda threw me off tho...but after i read your post again i see where you said it plugs right in ...

Wow i didn't know the coffee maker would take so much power..looks like i'll just get out of truck and get some coffee the old fashioned way ...lol

Thank for the help Uturn and Malaki86 i would be lost without the advice....

I already have a 12v frig that worked fine before when i started trucking...I'm still newbie trucker and hopefully this stuff will make liife a little easier for me out there on the road..I never had this stuff before and i was struggling...
I do have a CB but i got the wrong type which doesn't have squeech to tune it in...idk what i'm doing with that ,would like to trade it or something...its a corba 25 WX NW ST.
Also still have XM Radio but its the first one with cassette and wires hanging everywhere..

I have 3 companys that had me send them release forms and are interested in me..
Central Refrigerated (think they are reefer part of swift)
KLLM (haven't read much bad about them)
Covenant (i have read ALOT on them and even seen the Dateline trucker from there)

Reefer i have never done and i'm not sure what to expect.
KLLm offers the most pay.
Covenant--well if i have no choice then i'll do what i got to do to get that 1yr of experience....
Old 08-05-2007, 02:06 AM
Senior Board Member

For those times when you are unable to get coffee out of a truck stop, get yourself a 12v submersible heating element and a ceramic coffee mug.

Heat the water with the element and then use something like Folgers coffee singles.

You could also use a 12v lunch box stove to heat the water and then poor it into your favorite coffee cup.

Of course if you do not like the coffee that some of these truck stops have, you could take your mug inside, fill it with hot water from the coffee machine and then use the coffee single to make your own cup.
Old 08-05-2007, 02:56 AM

Thats stuff i never would've thought about ....great advice....i like the last one the best so simple....i drink maxwell house coffee and i can use those justs like the folgers singles....

Thank Uturn2001

Be Safe Out There!
Old 12-07-2007, 04:50 AM
Board Regular

Heres what I had (and need to get again) and it can be found at Flying J
http://www.rvmarine.com/site/staticp...ex.php/111-902

my truck had a power surge and burnt mine up (had it for 2.5 years). it took about 30 minutes to brew, but as you can see by the specs, it has dripstop. I could be making coffee while rolling.

Don't buy the RoadPro version.....costs $30 (versus $25 for Tracker) and only lasted 3 months....RoadPro wont even discuss the piece of junk via phone or email.

When a white army battles Indians and wins, itis called a great victory, but if they lose itis called a massacre.Chiksika, Shawnee
Old 12-24-2007, 04:16 PM
Rookie

I had a 100 wat inverter u plug in a cigarette lighter, but it made a lot of noise in my CB. I bought a DC powerpack for my computer, works great.
http://store.l-f-l.com/cgi-bin/cp-ap...&ref=DC-DC-90W
Old 12-26-2007, 05:43 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uturn2001
For those times when you are unable to get coffee out of a truck stop, get yourself a 12v submersible heating element and a ceramic coffee mug.

Heat the water with the element and then use something like Folgers coffee singles.

You could also use a 12v lunch box stove to heat the water and then poor it into your favorite coffee cup.

Of course if you do not like the coffee that some of these truck stops have, you could take your mug inside, fill it with hot water from the coffee machine and then use the coffee single to make your own cup.

the only problem with the 12v submersible heating elements and the 12v coffee pot( which has same element built into bottom) is over short term(6months) the chrome plating flakes off in your coffee water- and will cause you health problems long term( best to avoid )