User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2007, 02:03 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Terry,

I made mine for about $15.00. Home Depot has the aluminum extending poles for pool cleaning, window squezee's etc. But a 3/4"x1/2" T on the end, notch the T about 1/8" for the strap to fit snugly into. Then measured to side box depth, took the handle off and with the sections fully retracted, cafefully cut the handle off, measured the pole less 3" so it would fit nicely into the side box of the sleeper and cut off the excess. Then I expoxy'd the plastic handle back on (can be taped, but since I had the expoxy it made it look cleaner.)

Also works good for putting those black edge protectors under the strap on those out of reach loads without climbing on top.

Works great. Will get a photo in the next day or two and post it. The truck is down the road right now. Will be in Laredo tommorrow, so will probably get it then.

My trainer had about a 5' piece of 3/4" inch pvc with a notch T on the end. Mine is just an approved version of that. It is also strong enough to pull/push chains also.

Maybe if anyone wants one of these made, I can build a few and ship them out. Will get pricing together over the next few days. Not sure what shipping would cost, will need to check that also.

OH, I can also extend it to 13' 6" and place a short piece of 3/4" pvc in one side of the T, to measure those tall loads, instead of fighting a tape measure.

Later,

Louis
Principles are, without question, the fastest way to what I want."
Author Unknown

OOIDA
Old 07-22-2007, 04:39 PM
Board Regular

I use a section of rebar about 1/2 inch thick, bend one end into a hook using the rubrails and tada. Costs very depending on where you go and some lumber/ home places charge under a buck for a 5 foot section if its already bent up. Plus they have cutters right there.

When a white army battles Indians and wins, itis called a great victory, but if they lose itis called a massacre.Chiksika, Shawnee
Old 07-22-2007, 11:22 PM
Board Regular

countryhorseman wrote:
I can also extend it to 13' 6" and place a short piece of 3/4" pvc in one side of the T, to measure those tall loads, instead of fighting a tape measure.

Yours is primo compared to a boathook. Sounds like a very versatile tool.
Anything to save you from climbing is great. working smarter.. not harder and all.
Old 07-22-2007, 11:29 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurbski
countryhorseman wrote:
I can also extend it to 13' 6" and place a short piece of 3/4" pvc in one side of the T, to measure those tall loads, instead of fighting a tape measure.

Yours is primo compared to a boathook. Sounds like a very versatile tool.
Anything to save you from climbing is great. working smarter.. not harder and all.
You got that right! I actually had the materials laying around the house already. I use the 3 part extending poles to build emergency field antenna's for my Ham Radios. And being on a small piece of property, I have PVC laying around for the plumbing. It fits perfectly in the side box under the sleeper.

Like I stated earlier, I will try to take photo's tommorow and post them.
Principles are, without question, the fastest way to what I want."
Author Unknown

OOIDA
Old 07-22-2007, 11:58 PM
Senior Board Member

I getting some good ideas on here. My trainer had a special tool he made out of pvc pipe with a squared u on one end with notches cut into it, perfect for inserting edge protectors under the straps on those tall loads. Unfortunatly, it is a one use tool. Some of the boat hooks I am finding may be too thick to fit in between some loads.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:59 AM
Senior Board Member

The two issues I would have with those boat hooks are:

1. You may need more than 8 feet of length to get through coils and spools.

2. Trying to store it unless you could find a collapsible one.