User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2007, 06:00 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default SD

Who can explain SD to me. I want to buy a GPS unit. They have a SD slot for audio books. If I subscribe to a service where I can download books to use in my SD slot, how much can I download onto one disk. Assume it is two Gigs. Some of these books are 12 or greater CD's and some are up to 30 hours of listening pleasure. I'm clueless.
Old 01-29-2007, 01:13 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: SD

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrylamar
Who can explain SD to me. I want to buy a GPS unit. They have a SD slot for audio books. If I subscribe to a service where I can download books to use in my SD slot, how much can I download onto one disk. Assume it is two Gigs. Some of these books are 12 or greater CD's and some are up to 30 hours of listening pleasure. I'm clueless.
SD is a memory card, the same as the ones that digital cameras use. The bigger the SD card, the more it'll store. Best bet, buy the biggest card you can afford and that the unit can handle.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:06 AM

It should look like another disk drive to your machine.

I use a 3 Gig card in my PDA for musics and maps. It's amazing the difference in price of the different cards. I was at Best Buys, and they had 2 brands sitting next to eachother in the rack. The difference was like $50.

I called the "helpful" attendant over. "Can you tell me the difference between these two cards?" He stood there for a couple seconds... I waited and finally offered "50 bucks???" He didn't know.

I'm sure there's some difference in the manufacturing process, or materials used, but 50 bucks is 50 bucks. I went with the cheap one. This was about a year ago, and I've had absolutely no problems.

It's digital data, so the question is - will the electrons align correctly and the thing not fall apart? They do, and it hasn't. And my PDA gets A LOT of abuse.
Old 02-23-2007, 05:52 AM
Default SD how to judge its capacity.

A CD can store 750 megs or mega bites, regular DVD/r can load about 7 giga bites or gigs the difference between these two is huge. The cool thing is time is one thing on a CD but another thing when it comes to compressed files or commonly known as mp3 since a mp3 takes all the dead air out of the equation and compresses the information into a lesser form allowing greater capacity of data instead of recording analog style hence you have to know the size of the books you are to down load then you can have an accurate idea of the size card you will need to purchase keeping in mind the limitations of sized card your device can support.

what is the capacity of a CD well it 74 min the time for Beethoven's 5 Th symphony to be loaded on one disc this was how the standard size was set by a Sony geek in the beginning (Sony set the standard and is the originator of the standard sized disc ) 74 min is greater than an hour and compared to where we came from with vinyl lp's and cassette tapes this was a huge leap forward and now we can store amounts in our pocket that use to take up a huge amount of space you could hurt your back trying to lift that many vinyl lp's.
I want to help by sharing what I have learned so you might journey in comfort and security safely. I need help with taxes What can you deduct? All help will greatly appreciated I don't give smart ass replies to those that are acting kindly as so many do. Taxes is an incredible wealth wound learn how to get all that is yours.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowman
It should look like another disk drive to your machine.

I use a 3 Gig card in my PDA for musics and maps. It's amazing the difference in price of the different cards. I was at Best Buys, and they had 2 brands sitting next to eachother in the rack. The difference was like $50.

I called the "helpful" attendant over. "Can you tell me the difference between these two cards?" He stood there for a couple seconds... I waited and finally offered "50 bucks???" He didn't know.

I'm sure there's some difference in the manufacturing process, or materials used, but 50 bucks is 50 bucks. I went with the cheap one. This was about a year ago, and I've had absolutely no problems.

It's digital data, so the question is - will the electrons align correctly and the thing not fall apart? They do, and it hasn't. And my PDA gets A LOT of abuse.
The difference in price with similary priced SD cards is manufacturing, and r/w speeds. If you check the specs on similar sized cards, you'll notice it may read/write faster or slower than the other. This means how fast your device can read and write to the card. You'll need to find out how fast your device reads/writes to be able to take advantage. No use getting a card that has a 60x r/w when it only supports 30x.