User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2017, 02:31 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default engine miss on a 12.7 detroit

I have a 95 freightliner was on my way home a few days ago
and all of a sudden at about 65 mph it started to miss or run a little rough.
I had been driving for about 4 hrs
It has good oil pressure and starts up as usual ,[quickly] .
it doesn't smoke like I thought it would and it is rough while picking up speed.
once I'm at my desired speed , you really don't hear the miss, but when idling
you hear a miss and for some reason it really doesn't shake like I thought it would. I had a mechanic put his portable code finder on and he said #1 was misfiring but said he was getting strange codes from the ecm. he said the ecm was probably going out, bought a new ecm from the dealer and had the mechanic there check the old one out. he verified that it was losing memory.
it was 22 yrs old. once new ecm was installed it still misses but the mechanics
portable machine had shorted out on a another truck but it just misses a little could it be injector problems?
Old 09-26-2017, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rti122 View Post
I have a 95 freightliner was on my way home a few days ago
and all of a sudden at about 65 mph it started to miss or run a little rough.
I had been driving for about 4 hrs
It has good oil pressure and starts up as usual ,[quickly] .
it doesn't smoke like I thought it would and it is rough while picking up speed.
once I'm at my desired speed , you really don't hear the miss, but when idling
you hear a miss and for some reason it really doesn't shake like I thought it would. I had a mechanic put his portable code finder on and he said #1 was misfiring but said he was getting strange codes from the ecm. he said the ecm was probably going out, bought a new ecm from the dealer and had the mechanic there check the old one out. he verified that it was losing memory.
it was 22 yrs old. once new ecm was installed it still misses but the mechanics
portable machine had shorted out on a another truck but it just misses a little could it be injector problems?
could be an injector situation. you should have that checked, manually by having them removed and bench tested. if ONE is really malfunctioning, they should all be replaced, with either factory rebuilt of brand new, check any warranty coverages on both types.

i am a big fan myself of fuel additives, in my PERSONAL vehicles to keep the fuel system clean.

one company i worked for, gave me permission to use the Howe's fuel treatment. worked great, never any problems with gelling or fuel delivery, all year long.

however, my new company, we get onsite fueling and they simply do not pay for any additives, nor does the truck leasing company (Penske) allow us to do so.