User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2016, 09:17 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Is it dangerous to use a Car GPS in trucks?

Hey Guys! I have very little idea about how this GPS system works. So please pardon me if it is a silly question. I have heard from a friend that it is dangerous to use ordinary Car GPS systems in my truck. I installed this GPS system from my old car, which I sold off. He is suggesting me to use GPS fleet tracking system built specifically for trucks from companies like Garmins or Eaglei GPS . To be honest, I can't understand the difference between the two. Both GPS systems don't work the same way? I would like some advice here. Thanks!
Old 06-23-2016, 11:50 PM
Senior Board Member

While GPS systems work the same way a truck unit IS programmed differently......it knows where the low clearances are, and it knows the low tonnage roads

When ever you hear or see a truck stuck under a bridge, you can gaurantee the driver was useing a car unit..........not worth useing a car unit,when you might have to buy a trailer roof
Old 06-25-2016, 03:41 AM
Senior Board Member

yes it is. my buddy had a garmin and that put him on non truck routes.. and that was a truck GPS. the only 2 i would recommend is the cobra and the rand mcnaly i run a rand. i'm on my second one and only reason why i upgraded was to add all my fuel in to it for IFTA.
Old 06-25-2016, 04:53 AM
Senior Board Member

Overhead damage is expensive to fix and if you have to buy a new bridge, well you can imagine!
Some of the truck GPS's even have hazmat routing that could be a nice feature.. If you use your eyes and your brain you can get along just fine with a car unit to confirm your route and give advance warning of your next turn coming up, other than that forget it.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington
Old 06-25-2016, 03:43 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Some people use a GPS and leave their brains at home. You still must use common sense and pay attention to road signs. They can be a helpful tool, but none are 100% accurate. If you want to use a GPS it would be best to find one specifically for trucks and for the reasons listed previously. If I were looking for a GPS I would check out Rand McNally. Their maps are excellent and I would trust them more than some of the others. I have been using the GPS on my phone. Most of the time it is accurate, but it isn't designed for trucks. There are times when it tells me to turn left when I should turn right. It also doesn't know if I should be on certain roads. That is where common sense comes into play. It is a handy tool. One day I will probably break down any buy my own GPS specifically for trucks. If I do, I will want one that will track my IFTA miles.
Old 06-26-2016, 08:02 PM
Board Icon

I wouldn't use any GPS system blindly. Even truck rated ones can get you in trouble. Drivers must still pay attention to road signs. GPS sometimes shows roads where it's a farm field........GPS units don't always get updated quick enough for a new road closure. Say a bridge was inspected yesterday, the state DOT decides it needs to be closed immediately to all traffic for emergency repairs. GPS may not update for a week to reflect it but your route takes you across that bridge in a few hours......now your stuck if it's a 2 lane road and you missed the signs a few miles back saying road closed except for local traffic.
Old 06-26-2016, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamcop79 View Post
Hey Guys! I have very little idea about how this GPS system works. So please pardon me if it is a silly question. I have heard from a friend that it is dangerous to use ordinary Car GPS systems in my truck. I installed this GPS system from my old car, which I sold off. He is suggesting me to use GPS fleet tracking system built specifically for trucks from companies like Garmins or Eaglei GPS . To be honest, I can't understand the difference between the two. Both GPS systems don't work the same way? I would like some advice here. Thanks!
yes....and no.

i have a Rand truckers GPS. i can tell you that it does not know it's left from it's right, regarding my stops. my buildings are on the left, it insists they are on the right.

when one uses a GPS alone, one must be aware of mistakes that are inherent to them. i'd also highly recommend a truckers road atlas, as not only a back up, but to enhance one's ability to see the route, look for the scale house, look for restricted routes.

a GPS (of any type) will get you either very close to your destination, or spot on. however, YOU are still responsible for anything that happens along the way.

since you are in a truck?? then get a truck GPS, which can also be switched over to cars when you want that as well.
Old 12-03-2016, 01:07 PM
Senior Board Member

It is dangerous to rely on GPS with a truck, irregardless of whether it is truck rated or not. I do a balance. I use GPS, I pre look at certain routes via google maps and satellite view using my iPhone or laptop, and I always have a Rand McNally laminated map on hand.