User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2014, 02:10 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question DEF and exhaust regeneration system in tri-axle dump trucks, will it work or hinder ?

I can see these systems in Long Haul vehicles, and I think that the application into the long haul trucks is what it was mainly designed and made for, but trying to incorporate these systems to work in a locally run tri-axle dump truck operation, ought to be interesting indeed. Tri-axle's are used in many many miscellaneous applications as you all do know, and one example I can give is when working in front of a milling machine for which causes a whole lot of idle time or a very low RPM idle time when such a job is going on. Then there is the working of these such vehicles off road mostly, where there is grass or debris that may become an issue for the system as it regenerates. Otherwise the system becomes super hot in the exhaust when trying to clean up the system itself, but what about being off road on a job site when this takes place, and there is no good place for this, and especially if everything is DRY ? Now another problem is this, where as if the 5 minute shut off kicks in, well you are then just run over by the milling machine while attempting to restart the truck (been there had this happen before). The fix at that time, was to take the shut off program out of the truck completely, and that solved the problem after that. Then how about this..... if you see an active regeneration happening (idled up and the light is on), and this is all due to the excessive idling involved in either a rental on site job, or a paving job or a milling job, where as the DPF begins to dirty up badly due to excessive idling, then doesn't this place or could it place the truck in shut down mode just as well over time ? I can see it now, (Hey paving machine dude, umm I have to pull over and do a passive regeneration or well umm the truck won't run if I don't). You reckon if were me, that I would get signed out from the job or job site immediately or what ? All this technology (IMHO) doesn't apply to well to a short haul tri-axle dump truck operation, and so what are your thoughts on this if I may ask yall next ? I think it's overkill, and the tri-axle dump trucks across America need to be exempted from this technology, because it doesn't work well in the form that it is currently in at this time for a tri-axle short haul dump truck, and especially with all the misc. jobs it encounters in it's field of operations daily. I think the systems being pushed onto these short haul tri-axle dump truck companies is wrong & wrong headed thinking, and it is a huge added expense that they didn't need to have in their operations. Also the government shouldn't be forcing these things on tri-axle dump trucks until a more honest approach is figured out within it all. I mean it's ridiculous to say the least about it all, but who am I right, but just another steering wheel holder.