User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2014, 05:58 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default fuel algae in winter???....

November I started to use fuel filters. Not just because I was getting biodiesel, but actually plugging them from a black crud in my filter. You could see this stuff floating in the fuel in the filter bowl and inside the tank. It was so bad, I'd ruin a filter a day. I could shut off my right side tank and it would be fine. So I found it was limited to that tank for the time being.

I tried to use some Kill 'em biocide and it wouldn't seem to work. I would put in 2.5 oz just like the bottle said and let it sit overnight with the tank full.

one night I put in 4 oz and let it sit for two days with the fuel tank shut off. It was about 2/3 tank and when I put the light in, it showed that the stuff that had sat in the fuel for two days was floating in the fuel and the tank was clean. HUH....

I went out and bought a 12 v fuel transfer pump and a filter to make a set-up to transfer from one tank to another or else to recirculate the fuel to filter it instead of dumping it into the engine fuel filter. You can see from how the fuel in the line goes from clear to black, how much crap was in the filter when it backflushes. That is one use of a 7 micron filter on 110 gallons of fuel.

[YOUTUBE]bAHAQKMLyEI[/YOUTUBE]

On Jan 2, I made a fuel cocktail and dumped it into the right tank with it shut off. Since then, I have gotten about 15,000 miles on the same fuel filter. I suspect it will last until well close to 30,000 miles before needing to be changed. Since I bought the truck, the most miles I have ever put onto a single fuel filter was 18,000 miles in June 13. The above video is from this fuel cocktail when I filtered the fuel tank empty and pumped it from the right to left side tank. It consisted of:
one- 80 oz bottle of Emergency 911.
one- 16 oz bottle of Kill 'em Biocide
two - 32 oz bottles of Powerservice Clear- Diesel

I had tried to follow all the instructions for 2 months, at this point it was either go extreme or pull the tank and have it cut open and steam cleaned or else put on a new tank. It worked.

I firmly believe that a lot of peoples issues this winter in the bitter cold isn't so much gelling fuel as it is the fuel is icing over. The Biodiesel absorbs and holds moisture in suspension and then it gets so cold it freezes eventually on us.