User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2013, 10:08 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default truck won't start

When I turn the key the lights and acc. All work but I get nothing from the starter. I replaced the starter (delco) about 8 months ago for the same reason before it stop completely it would be erractic even with the new starter. Now I just replaced the batteries and cleaned the connections, still nothing so I replaced the ignition switch still nothing I cleaned the connections on the fire wall solenoid still nothing I need help out of ideas.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:32 PM
Senior Board Member

Look at the starter, see the heavy red cable? After makeing sure that is CLEAN and TIGHT follow it back and you should find a relay somewhere. (truck make would help) check that out chances are either the relay is bad or the selinoid on the starter itself. I'm betting on the relay.
Also check your engine ground cable, bad grounds can do all sorts of not so funny things

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington
Old 08-30-2013, 12:38 AM
Default Clutch sensor?

Another thought; clutch pedal position sensor?
Here's another thread on no-start: http://www.classadrivers.com/forum/t...ries-60-a.html
Old 09-01-2013, 04:05 PM
Senior Board Member

I had this intermittent problem on my '03 Pete 387 and it never was solved even with replacing the starter, relays, grounds, etc. I'd turn the key, wait for everything to cycle on and off, turn the key to the start position and everything would go dead and the truck wouldn't start. I'd wait a minute or two and try it again and it might work, and it might not. I just learned to live with it. After replacing the starter, the problem did become much less frequent and severe.

Now my '06 Pete 387 does the same thing, but only very rarely. I've found that starting my APU and letting it run for a minute or two seems to help when the problem does crop up, but that could just be coincidence. My thinking is that somewhere there's an intermittent ground fault (or even a hot faut, or relay failure) and that the extra juice from the APU is enough to overcome the short.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:45 PM
Rookie
Default micpat

Quote:
Originally Posted by james potter View Post
When I turn the key the lights and acc. All work but I get nothing from the starter. I replaced the starter (delco) about 8 months ago for the same reason before it stop completely it would be erractic even with the new starter. Now I just replaced the batteries and cleaned the connections, still nothing so I replaced the ignition switch still nothing I cleaned the connections on the fire wall solenoid still nothing I need help out of ideas.
If you had an international with a Cumens motor check the clutch adjustment. There is a plate the clutch linkage has to make contact with before the starter will turn. If it isn't making contact it will drive you nuts thinking it's a short of some kind. I don't know if other companys use this system but that's what international use. I've had the same problem with my international and that was the solution
Old 12-13-2013, 08:39 AM
Rookie

Get a new battery...both of you. your batteries have enough poer to run the accessories but are not producing enough cold cranking amps (cca's) to turn the car over....
Old 12-17-2013, 12:11 AM
Rookie

Musicman, My '06 387 did the same for a long time. It finally just wouldn't do anything when you turned the key to start. Threw a relay at it, didn't fix it. Put a button in next to the key, haven't had any trouble since. I'm thinking theres a busted wire or something somewhere, but don't know where. Did have the starter go bad back in May in the TA parking lot there at Wheeling, WV. They changed the starter and she didn't start again. Had to get it towed all the way to Eau Claire, PA and have the ECM replaced. What a coincidence, huh? Anyhow, the button still works fine!

Last edited by Bandit102too; 12-17-2013 at 12:11 AM. Reason: tag
Old 12-20-2013, 03:33 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesmount View Post
Get a new battery...both of you. your batteries have enough poer to run the accessories but are not producing enough cold cranking amps (cca's) to turn the car over....
yep new batteries .old ones loose cranking amps and dosnt take much and starter not getting enuf
Old 12-22-2013, 12:49 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

You may check the starter ground. The ground may be connected to the frame. I would check to make sure the connection is solid with no breaks or corrosion. One other thing that I happened to remember on one of my trucks. I have a regulator or relay in the battery box. Wires were connected to the relay as well as the starter. One of the wires was broken so it would not start. I put on a connector and the truck fired right up. It was not as easily seen upon initial inspection. When something is difficult to find, it is usually something that is simple.
Old 12-24-2013, 03:02 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesmount View Post
Definitely not a battery problem with my 2003 or my 2006.