User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2013, 10:45 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Thoughts on a problem

Was driving 40 east from nasheville.. did a pm oil was overfull. Got to the gorge and it started sputtering (injectors went out). I figured it was the injectors. 27 miles from the nearest ta. I plan on pulling in the rest areaa at mm10. JUST before that or so the oil pressure suddenly plunges to 25. I pull in shut the truck down and check everything i can. I dont see any oil leaks. Check the oil and it is at the "full" mark on the stick. NO longer high but still full. Theres some oil down around the oil plan but dont think its new.
I dont see anything obviously wrong. I think i can nurse it to the ta. I start to pull out and oil light and stop light comes on. I blindside back into the rest area slot, get out and call maintenance. They have it towed to freightliner for me.

The mechanics there are morons first of all. But they seem too dense even after the company calling them back and jumping their **** to try to find the problem with the oil. So far theyre all excited about replacing 2 injectors, a fuel filter, and after the company called them back "the side blower" (the engine blower i imagine) ????? Talked to outside mechanics they suggested could be some water or diesel in the oil and seals might be gone (i asked these morons 3 times to check the seals btw). Im calling in the morning praying to god theyve actually done some work but i dont think these idiots are smart enough to find the oil problem. Shop thinks it could be internal and doesnt think these guys have what it takes to find it. Any ideas on what it could be?

I am NOT a mechanic and i can only think of a few things. Diesel or water in the oil got hot or something and blew some seals or something? Seals blew on the road and tossed the oil out (5.5 gallons low) but id think it'd be easy to see the problem.

Im worried about this problem because ive had nothing but trouble from this truck and cant afford much more and i do NOT think these guys know what the hell theyre doing. I cant afford to sit home paying 800 a week for a truck thats not moving if i take it out and it blows to hell 100 miles down the road.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:52 PM
Senior Board Member

If it lost 5.5 gal and you aren't seeing it... Either a: they didn't full it b: turbo.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:40 PM
Senior Board Member

Diesel in the oil, bad injector or injector cup

Anytime the oil presure drops its because the oil thins out, like when ya mix it with diesel, will also show over fill
Old 04-05-2013, 04:18 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

I had oil pressure issues on mine, coming back to WI from OR. Turned out to be the pressure sending unit on the side of the engine, right behind the started that they changed two weeks earlier. Nothing wrong with the pressure, just the sending unit.

Only time I lost that much oil, someone that did the PM for me forgot to secure the oil fill cap. When I blue a turbo and leaked oil, I could see it in the exhaust. If you're not sending out smoke signals, the turbo should be working.