User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2012, 09:30 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Old Man View Post
I use Rotella and i have an OPS Filter System on my Detroit 60...I do not use that cheap stuff ''lucas'' that does not even work...I will pay the extra and use MOTORKOTE...

I must be doing something correct.I have 1,700,000 miles and no rebuild.I burn 1 gallon every 25-30K..The only sad part is i sprung a small leak on the front passenger side of the head gasket.So i may get a few more miles out of her and rebuild it.My estimate was $8,500 to rebuild her.I thought that was fair for an Inframe.Most everything else is new on the damm truck anyhow..
Now that is good for a war between those folks that have a dog in that hunt! Let the shooting war begin between MotorKote and Lucas!
Old 11-20-2012, 10:19 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

At one time I used Rotella. In recent years I have been using Delo and if I can't get that I use Delvac. Both have done a good job for me. I also change my oil every 15,000 miles. I don't use additives in my engine. I don't see that they are worth the money.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:56 AM
Rookie

I often use Shell Rimula oil. They offer a good range to meet consumer needs.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:41 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperhead View Post
I don't really chide anyone who wants to use Lucas. I just have never gotten beyond the name... Lucas Oil Stabilizer. I am still trying to figure out what is unstable about modern engine oils that they need "stabilized". But, on a technical note, there has been some that have sent samples of Lucas into oil lab for analysis. It is nothing more than a straight 50w base oil. No beneficial additives at all. Now, if one is wanting a thicker oil, it begs the question why they don't just use a 15w50 engine oil that DOES have beneficial additives in it. And a gallon of 15w50 (at least at farm and home stores and other discount outlets) is half the price of a gallon of Lucas. If one is adding a gallon of Lucas to their engine, they are only putting in a 50w oil with no additives so they are "thinning" out the beneficial additive package that helps control acids and other damaging things. So while they are "thickening" the oil for oil pressure, they are depleting the additive package in the engine.

I realize some swear by the stuff, and brand loyalty is really apparent here. But, folks ought to step back and just take a look at what might be going on here and think it thru a little bit instead of being swayed by marketing hype and "that's what we have always done" type of logic. For every case of "I took my engine to 1.5 million on Lucas" there is another case where an owner did the same thing not using Lucas.
Good info, thank you. I have used some Lucas in the past but always wondered what was in it. Now I know. I also have used their injector cleaner in my car. Anybody have info on that?

Any info on Slick 50? particularly for much older engines?
Old 01-19-2013, 09:52 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
Good info, thank you. I have used some Lucas in the past but always wondered what was in it. Now I know. I also have used their injector cleaner in my car. Anybody have info on that?

Any info on Slick 50? particularly for much older engines?
I have not used their injector cleaner, but I have heard good things about it. For what it is worth, Bruce Malinson at Pittsburgh Power recommends it.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:02 PM
Rookie

I choose different every time. But I try to choose the best!
Old 03-02-2013, 12:19 PM
Senior Board Member

Ok, update on the Delo synthetic. Ran it for two oil changes. I have done regular oil analysis samples on this truck since 10,000 miles. After running the Delo synthetic, I noticed absolutely no appreciable difference between it and the standard Delo. No change in mpg, no change in wear numbers, no change in rate of TBN depletion, etc. Only noticeable thing was on a real cold morning, the truck would crank and start a little easier on the synthetic. So, since the numbers are just not there to justify using synthetic, the truck just went back to Delo conventional. Maybe the synthetic thing would play out better in someone else's engine, but it didn't with this one.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:21 PM

We use Kendall synthetic blend in all our trucks. It meets all warranty specs and every oil analysis has came back good. I haven't seen a problem with it. I do know its better than rotella. When we switched mpg went up and oil usage went down.

"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton
Old 03-03-2013, 12:28 AM
Senior Board Member

so.. this week i stopped and opened the hood, the motor was pouring smoke out of the blow by tube and dipstick. my motor is new (60k). so i called the cat dealer that did the motor. they did an oil anal. right away. i've been running delo for the past 2 maybe 3 oil changes. anyway, the analysis came back with the numbers exceeding perfect viscosity #'s were a bit high but he thinks its because i run a gal of lucas. the conclusion he came to was either the turbo is going or just could be the oil. any thoughts?
Old 03-03-2013, 01:44 PM
Senior Board Member

Whatever it is, it's not oil. Delo is perfect for CATs. I've run it in my old 3406E, and now in Acert with results better than Shell or Mobil. Never add anything to it tho, except when it was rebuild (3406E) CAT gave me to use some stuff for viscosity for a while. Couldn't they just check turbo?