User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2012, 11:54 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

you know gman, my dad was telling me the same thing but my filters do not have drains. tuesday i'm getting a pm at speedco. this is the bad part about not being leased is that once your committed.. your committed.

right now the tick in the motor is worrying me more then anything. i ran it all day yesterday flat out (governed at 70) which is about 1600 rpm up and down hills and its fine. however i'm noticing my oil pressure is a BIT lower. the truck will be in tuesday night if not weds. morning.

gman, i'll try to get a video of it in the morning and post it. i'd say for about the first 10-15 min the truck runs like it is 5* out. when i start moving it smokes a great deal but then it all stops. what else i've noticed and not sure if its related but, the truck NEVER smoked. only a very very faint laboring smoke while pulling a hill. never on a shift. now its smoking on a shift when i go to power up a hill and when i hit the jake. that smoke is nothing terrible but i know its never did it before.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:49 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Since you are having your oil changed, I would make sure that they check to see if there is water in the fuel filters. If so, that may be your problem. Water in the fuel can make your injectors go out, but if you catch it early then you may be able to solve the problem without much expense. If you have water in your fuel it can smoke and appear that an injector is out. Water is much less expensive to address than an injector. When you get your oil changed you might check to see if you can get filters that have drain cocks on them and drain your fuel daily to check for water until the problem is solved. It only takes a minute and you can see immediately if you have water in the fuel. Your truck will miss and lose power if you have water in your fuel. A cheap fix will be to get the highest alcohol content you can find in rubbing alcohol and pour at least 1/2 of a bottle in each tank. It will help to break down the water particles and get rid of the water. I would only do this if you find water in your system. There are some commercial chemicals on the market that will also work, but the rubbing alcohol works as well for a fraction of the cost.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:13 PM
Senior Board Member

i did put some of that zzpower (whatever the small bottle is) in a few weeks ago and saw little diffrence. i'm going to go back to cat filters, they do have the drain right? gman what do you think about the water seperators? are they snake oil? someone i was talking to had one and it was a system with like 3 filters inline and he swears by it. like i said when it gets warm, its ok.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:54 PM
Senior Board Member

I'd definitely recommend fuel-water separators. That's a cheap insurance, from a potentially very expensive repairs!
Old 04-14-2012, 11:09 PM
Senior Board Member

update: turns out the #4 cyl injector was not firing at all. no idea why there wasnt a hard miss but whatever. i pick it up on monday. thank god for the warantee. if i didnt have it it would be $1400. but i do so its $150
Old 04-15-2012, 01:39 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebird_1252 View Post
update: turns out the #4 cyl injector was not firing at all. no idea why there wasnt a hard miss but whatever. i pick it up on monday. thank god for the warantee. if i didnt have it it would be $1400. but i do so its $150
Was it the harness?
Old 04-15-2012, 03:08 AM
Senior Board Member

as far as i know it was the injector itself. they had to get a new reman injector from cat. they said the way they found it was when the truck was cold they did a cylinder cut out test.

but whats baffeling the hell out of me is how was the truck running so good? for a 435hp motor with 71k going though pa i'd drop 1 gear the most and still run anywhere from 55-65. my fuel milage was 6.15-6.55 mpg.. guess i'll see on friday when i head back out.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:08 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebird_1252 View Post
i did put some of that zzpower (whatever the small bottle is) in a few weeks ago and saw little diffrence. i'm going to go back to cat filters, they do have the drain right? gman what do you think about the water seperators? are they snake oil? someone i was talking to had one and it was a system with like 3 filters inline and he swears by it. like i said when it gets warm, its ok.

I don't think that it is necessary to have water separators, but it could provide you some additional insurance. Personally, I have never used them. If you get the CAT filters they should have a drain cock. You can just drain the filter once a week or even daily if you want. I always try to buy fuel where the fuel stop is selling a lot of fuel. There is less chance of getting water in my tanks. I am glad that you found the problem and that it was covered under your warranty.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:51 PM
Senior Board Member

gman, i tried to get one of those filters tuesday at speedco. they went to put it on but it did not fit. they said they dont make one for my motor because i have that glass filter as well. the cat fuel filter is a secondary? i'm really up to it with my maintenance on the truck. every 15k the oil is dropped new filters all around. every other the air filter. i understand some go a lot longer but for 1 i hate that sour smell and 2 fresh oil dont hurt anything.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:15 AM
Board Icon

Good deal getting it taken care of. Could have been a lot worse had ya let it go.