User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2012, 03:44 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Tach cable

Hi, Im new to the forum. I have a 82 359 pete with a 350 big cam cummins. I need to change the tach cable and was wondering is there anything special i need to take this task on or is it as easy as it appears? thanks, Wille
Old 01-22-2012, 02:39 PM

It's as easy as it appears. If you lube the cable it will last longer, I use marvel mystery oil but you can use white grease or maybe get some better suggestions. You will probably have to get a universal kit and cut it to size. Keep nice easy curves. I converted my last 359 to an electronic tach. You can find the tach on ebay from time to time and the plug in the back is easy to find at a junk yard. The sensor is under $50. new and it turns into the flywheel housing. If there isn't any place to screw the sensor into on the flywheel housing than you have to stick with the mechanical type anyway unless someone makes an adapter kit.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:44 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the reply. I priced a cable from the local pete dealership and they want 52.00 for the cable style. I just didnt know if there was anything special i needed to do before i took it out.