User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2011, 12:33 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Does excess idling cause carbon buildup?

If a truck spends most of the day moving around 3-5 mph, so that the engine is always at idle RPM (around 700 RPMs) for hours and hours a day, will this result in carbon being built up? The 06' International 4200 truck I drive is a street sweeper, and it's getting to where the truck is every weak; it doesn't pick up speed like it used to (for driving back and forth when not sweeping) and will hardly even accelerate at all if going up a hill. If this is a result of carbon being built up, is there a way to prevent it? (They have us get out on the open road at 55 mph once a week, and it seems to help some.)
Old 12-31-2011, 01:51 AM
Board Regular

Yes I have the same problem with both of our 4200's I'm going to take the muffler off of the 2003 soon to seeifthat helps, I've cleaned the carbon out of the rest of the erg system so I figure that's the next step.

You may try taking the erg valve out and cleaning it with carb cleaner, the valve is on the top of the engine beside the oil filter it has 2 small bolts holding in and a couple of small pry bars will be needed to bring it out.

Try this website for more help: Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com

This may help too: http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_u...?v=f5ToASEao8U

Last edited by classictruckman; 12-31-2011 at 01:59 AM.