LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2011, 01:01 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huon.cloutier View Post
You will need a compressor with a tank to power a nail gun. Nail guns require a certain amount of cfm at a set pressure to operate and the compressor needs to provide at least that amount.
If attending the class you have conveniently included in your spam-disguised-as-a-post makes me post a response about nail guns to a post about heavy duty impact wrenches, I think I’ll pass.
Old 11-19-2011, 12:09 AM
Board Regular

Here's my air compressor
Morgan Series Reconditioned Stationary Vertical Air Compressor — 80 Gallon, 240 Volts, 14 CFM, Model# RE6580A | 10 - 20 CFM | Northern Tool + Equipment
Great price. These are reconned Kobalt units which go for a lot more at Lowe's.

I also wrote a review for it so check reviews for one by 5string
Old 11-19-2011, 03:54 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YerDaddy View Post
Here's my air compressor
Very similar specs to mine, the lower air pressure (155 psi vs 175 psi) notwithstanding and half the price. It'd certainly do the job.
Old 11-19-2011, 04:37 AM
Senior Board Member

if on callout our mechanic hooks 60litre tank to truck compressor
Old 11-19-2011, 05:27 PM

You need two things for big air consumers like a 1 inch gun,

Volume of air at the gun, and a compressor that keep the supply tank filled.

Marketers will hype the size of the tank, and then hype the horsepower of the motor, but we don't know if that is input or output of power.

The real measure that matters for choosing the pump portion of an air compressor rig is volume of air produced in cfm, cubic feet per minute.

To get the air to the tool, you need a complete set of hoses and fittings that are not restricted somewhere.

You may do this on the cheap with patience and the small compressor you have, or off the truck air system.

Get a portable air tank of some description to use in the middle of your supply run. And old truck tank from the scrapyard, whatever. You will add a short length of large diameter hose and fittings to the tool. Then it gets a T fitting of the smaller size to match your existing source of air. An air gauge to monitor is handy, but not necessary, you'll know by the tool's performance whether you have enough.

So, you get a volume of air local to the tool, with large fittings to give it full power. The pressure in the local volume of air will drop through tool use, and you may need to wait for it to catch up, but when you do have air, you have full power from the tool, without the expense of a big compressor and the long lines and hardware in the larger size.

We gotta save a buck here and there, depending on the duty cycle we expect to need for this air set-up at home.

Ontario, Canada
Old 11-19-2011, 10:57 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBF View Post
The real measure that matters for choosing the pump portion of an air compressor rig is volume of air produced in cfm, cubic feet per minute.
Yes, and don't forget also that cfm varies at different psi as well. The specs of most compressors will include cfm at two different psi levels. Your impact will also include literature containing the cfm at what psi it needs to operate properly.
Old 06-16-2021, 04:14 PM
BANNED
Rookie

Hey there. Sorry for bumping the thread. But I want to figure out something. Diesel compressors are devices for generating compressed air, in which a diesel engine is selected as the power plant. They are widely used where a high-performance autonomous source of compressed air is needed to power pneumatic tools: in mining, in construction, in road repairs, etc. Such units are distinguished by increased reliability, efficiency and ease of use.

They are used where high mobility of equipment is required, for example, in road repair and road construction works. To determine which used air compressor capacity is needed for the enterprise, it is necessary to summarize the consumption of compressed air by all pneumatic units in operation. The resulting figure should be multiplied by a factor equal to 1.2, since the compressor must be purchased with a power reserve.

Last edited by Mpoaqwe; 06-16-2021 at 04:34 PM.
Old 10-05-2023, 07:38 AM
BANNED
Rookie

I think that selecting an adequate air compressor is essential for various tasks, especially in the context of truck maintenance. When evaluating options, it's beneficial to consider not only the compressor's specifications but also the quality of customer support provided by brands like Procharger customer service . Having reliable assistance can be invaluable in case of any issues or questions regarding your compressor. It ensures that you can make the most of your investment and keep your equipment in top working condition.

Last edited by kira5; 10-06-2023 at 05:58 AM.