User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2010, 06:51 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

My company could care less if I idle.But if its below freezing outside I would deffinately idle all night.If you're going to be out of your trk in freezing weather make sure you plug it in otherwise you'll be having a tow guy come start your trk everytime.If my trk does'nt start and I could have did something to prevent it then I have to pay for the jumpstart but if its the trk then my company pays for it.Last winter we had so much snow everytime it was hometime that I had to leave trk at truckstop and I slept in it everynite while on hometime just to make sure it starts.O/O for my company almost got fired lasat yr because he was home for a week and did'nt plug his trk in and it took hrs to get it started and he was a day late delivering a load and it was a high dollar load.
Old 11-20-2010, 07:36 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer View Post
Would good batteries last 3 days in a mode like this?
It's hard to tell, but i'd still check the alternator. One thing for sure, half an hour is definitely not enough for recharging, it's barely covers loss from a start in a cold weather. Should be at least an hour, better 2 hours at 8-900RPM.
Old 11-21-2010, 12:32 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike in idaho View Post
How about something like this?: Digital Volt Meter, Plugs Into Cigarette Lighter To Determine Battery Condition
When the voltage drops too much, start the truck and recharge.
That seems like a great gadget. I might get one of these. Would be useful in winter in a situation where you're parked waiting for a load...
Old 11-21-2010, 05:12 AM

You have some battery issues. Get them load tested. If they're only a year old you should have warranty. Run the truck longer to charge the batteries also. I'd let it run for an hour anyways in the morning and before you go to bed. How many batteries do you have? Some guys have a dedicated battery for their inverters. I don't plug mine in until snow accumulates and when I'm on the road it doesn't idle until it's -10 degrees celcius.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:09 AM

As a thought to this and no I'm not a driver (yet) but I did manage an auto-truck parts store many years ago. You may have bought batteries one year ago.....but how long were they sitting there waiting to be purchased? I don't recall if the 4d's and 8d's had date stamps on them.....but car batteries will have a date code of manufacture on the side of the battery, ie an A-10 sticker would mean a January 2010 manufacture date, B-10 would be February 2010 etc. It might be something to look at.........
Old 11-21-2010, 12:24 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

The problem may be as simple as not idling the truck long enough to build the batteries to full capacity. If you have a Harbor Freight near you, they have a charging system check/voltmeter that you can purchase for about $15. It will check the alternator and batteries and you don't need any outside power source or batteries. It is handy to keep with you. A shop would likely charge you for a 1/2 hour minimum labor rate to check your system. You can do this yourself for $15.
Old 11-21-2010, 03:22 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike in idaho View Post
How about something like this?: Digital Volt Meter, Plugs Into Cigarette Lighter To Determine Battery Condition
When the voltage drops too much, start the truck and recharge.
The stock voltmeter on the dashboard will tell you the same thing if you just turn the key on for a few seconds.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:28 PM
Senior Board Member

Yesterday I ran half a day, and then idled for an hour before going to bed and the truck started flawlessly in the morning. So, I"m sure it was like the Gman said - not enough idling while the truck was parked for 3 days. The truck started but then I ran into another cold weather related problem: the passenger side 2 wheels on the trailer got stuck! I'm not using that stupid air brake lock in cold weather again! Landstar wants to always put on that Enforcer thing and release both trailer and truck brakes and that's how you get into problems. I dragged the trailer around the parking lot forward and backwards - it didn't help. Finally I grabbed a hammer and crawled underneath and started hammering at brake pads. The top one on the inside wheel was frozen to the drum! It came off after a few hits with a hammer. This is some trip I"m having ...At least I didn't have to call in the $150/hr cavalry
Old 11-21-2010, 10:08 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I am glad to hear that your truck cranked up all right. I never put my trailer brakes on in winter, especially when there is snow or ice. It can be a bit difficult when you are doing drop and hook. I will share something with you in case your brakes freeze up again. Keep a bottle of rubbing alcohol with you. If your trailer brakes freeze up you can take the glad hands loose and pour some alcohol in the lines. Start pumping your brakes and using anything that has air and it should free itself up within a short time.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:58 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
I am glad to hear that your truck cranked up all right. I never put my trailer brakes on in winter, especially when there is snow or ice. It can be a bit difficult when you are doing drop and hook. I will share something with you in case your brakes freeze up again. Keep a bottle of rubbing alcohol with you. If your trailer brakes freeze up you can take the glad hands loose and pour some alcohol in the lines. Start pumping your brakes and using anything that has air and it should free itself up within a short time.
That's what happened to me last yr at the TA in Albert Lea,MN.I never knew that alcohol trick untill the mechanics did it to my glad hands and FOR FREE EVEN,LOL.Who do u drive for if you don't mind me asking?