User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2010, 01:06 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Extended Life (red) Coolant-Different Test Strips?

Hello,

Is it true that extended life coolant takes a different type of test strip to check for proper anti-cav. additive level? I use the red coolant that already contains the additive and a check this weekend showed not enough additive. The coolant in the system is 2 years old. I'm wondering if the shop that checked possibly did not have the proper test strip for this particular coolant?

Also is it true that even the pre-charged coolant needs one "re-charge" over the life of the coolant?

Truck in 99 International 9200 with Cummins M-11.

Thanks
Old 08-23-2010, 04:02 AM
Senior Board Member

The newer Extended Life Coolants from all the major brand names do not use SCA's like previous coolants and does not need to be tested for additives. The technology is totally different, and I would argue, better. All that needs testing is the freeze point temperature. All of the ELC coolants just need to have the extender added at approximately 300,000 miles. Then the different brands have recommended change out intervals from 500,000 to 750,000. The SCA type coolant coats the wet sleeve cylinders to prevent cavitation on cylinder liners. The ELC coolant uses a different process that, at the molecular level, the water is prevented from "exploding" on the cylinder liners. It is water molecules that literally explode on the liner from the heat which causes the pitting or cavitation on the liner.

That being said, if SCA's are added to an ELC coolant, it will reduce the coolant properties such that it will need to be changed out at an interval similar to the older coolants. You have to avoid use of water filters that have SCA in them as well. Only use blank coolant filters.

My Cummins shop recently tested for SCA's in my ELC coolant and since it didn't show such stuff, they dumped in several bottles of SCA to build it up. After finding out about this, I threw a stink that they had now screwed up my ELC coolant. Finally got them to agree that they should have checked with me on this before dumping the SCA in. As a result, they completely flushed the system and refilled with ELC and put on a new blank water filter. Free of charge.

Last edited by Copperhead; 08-23-2010 at 04:08 AM.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:15 AM
Board Regular

Thanks so much, Copperhead. Ironically, I planned to ask my local Cummins shop about this. It would be interesting to see if they are also under the wrong impression like yours was.

Same thing happened to me, the shop checked with test strips and wanted to add bottles of additive and a charged filter. I had already told them not to replace the water filter when doing the p.m. when I first arrived with the truck. (for that reason) At least they came to me before they added any additive to ask me, I told them no.

So it is true that "conventional" test strips will not show protection even if the ELC still contains enough? Is there another method of checking the ELC?

Thanks!
Old 08-27-2010, 09:01 PM
Senior Board Member

Last I checked on Rotella's website, Delo's Website, Global (Final Charge) website..... there is no need to test coolant for additive package. Just test for freeze level. Add the coolant additive extender at approx 300,000 miles. Whereas the old SCA's "coated" the cylinder liner with nitrites to prevent cavitation and needed regular testing to maintain nitrite level, the newer ELC coolant uses carboxylate technology. It depletes very, very slowly over a long period of time. It doesn't coat the cylinder liners like nitrites do, it actually prevents the water in the coolant from "exploding" on the surface of the cylinder liner. Nitrites allowed the water to explode (creating steam), but absorbed the impact. This "exploding" of water molecules is what causes cavitation, or pitting, of the cylinder liners. The carboxylates just need to be replenished at the mid point of the life of the coolant... approximately 300,000 miles give or take per the brand of ELC you are using.

The test strips the shops use, test for nitrites. Since ELC does not use nitrites, the test strip will show that SCA needs added. The test strips are a waste of time. It is really too bad that the ASE Cummins certified techs in these shops do not do any reading. ELC has been out for over a decade, and been regularly used for almost that long. One has to wonder how many trucks have had the coolant screwed up by one of these techs and the owner never knew it! Then, when things went wrong with the cylinder liners, the shop blamed the owner for no maintaining the coolant properly. Same old song.

Last edited by Copperhead; 08-27-2010 at 09:07 PM.
Old 09-11-2010, 02:29 AM

Since I been reading about the ELC coolant, I have a question I used the ELC coolant (RED) have about 100,000 miles on it,but I have the water filter with the sca. I am about to have pm done and I will replaced with blank water filter do I need to add any extender to it,since I been using the wrong water filter.

Thx in Advanced.