User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2010, 03:35 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default modding engine cpu

A guy on the CB near a bunch of truck stops claims he can up the horsepower on a trucks computer. Also, for Canadian drivers he can raise the 65mph governed speed but make D.O.T. readers still read that the truck is set at 65. Anyone know much about this? Any comments? Thanks. p.s. I own my truck, leased on to company that insists trucks governed @ 65.
Old 01-22-2010, 04:23 PM
Rookie

Anything's possible.
But how much is it going to cost you when you get caught doing 70?
Old 02-12-2010, 12:06 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barf View Post
A guy on the CB near a bunch of truck stops claims he can up the horsepower on a trucks computer. Also, for Canadian drivers he can raise the 65mph governed speed but make D.O.T. readers still read that the truck is set at 65. Anyone know much about this? Any comments? Thanks. p.s. I own my truck, leased on to company that insists trucks governed @ 65.
Fixing the 65 MPH dilemma is easy to do at any truck dealer: just tell them to change your PULSE rating or tire revs per mile. The maximum speed will still show as governed at 65 but your physical speed will increase. The downside is you'll lose a few miles at the end of the day on your odometer.

As for the horsepower, it can be done too. I have a CAT and I paid 800 bucks to a CAT dealer to do "performance dyno" on my truck. After the "surgery" the truck felt like new and I now have 550 HP at ... 1,425 RPM which translates into over 2,000 lb-ft of torque. This has helped with the fuel mileage with heavy loads.

BTW, I'm in Canada too.

Watch my YouTube videos
Old 02-12-2010, 10:28 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barf View Post

What is your engine make, model, and year?
Old 02-18-2010, 01:02 PM
Default Title should have said 'ECM' not 'CPU'

It's an '09 435hp Cummins ISX. I was actually more curious if anyone's heard of "The Diesel Doctor" at Effingham, IL. I don't see much on the net about him. I'm not sure if I want to up the speed limiter, but he ups the horsepower by changing some computer parameters. And does it for $100. Has anyone had work done by him?
Old 02-23-2010, 03:24 AM
Board Regular

What he does is put "off road" injector calibration codes in your computer. It damn sure does make more power. And if you drive it right, you can get better fuel mileage. As for the rest of the settings, anyone can do them, including him. His name is Nick and he's a pretty nice guy and seems to be pretty knowledgeable about what he does. I had him set my 5EK 475 Cat a year or so ago. It was always a dog and got about 4.5 mph in a T-600. After he did his thing with it, it now runs MUCH better and averaged 6.27 mph all 4 quarters over the last year.

My Cat guy at International tells me that the emissions are now illegal on the truck, but I don't go to California and I don't really give a damn anyway. He made a truck out of it.

My N-14 has off road injector settings in it also and I sure get a kick out of going by those 550 cats on the big hills. My buddy's Signature 600 will still run and hide from me though.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:10 AM
Rookie

nick turned my truck up and explained ot me that CRE (like most companies) keeps their trucks castrated.

he said my DD60 WAS governed at 455HP and after he got done with it, he "unlocked" the full potential of the engine and turned it up to 515HP.

also, whenever I pulled into SLC, UT and CRE hooked their little computer into my truck, it still read that it was set to 62 MPH....even tho he turned it up to 73 with a 77 mph passing booster.(3 steps on pedal)
Old 07-27-2011, 07:54 PM

I'm surprised to get a reply on this old thread, but thanks. I still think about talking to the guy every time I drive through Effingham. And every time I'm following someone doing only 95km/H in northern Ontario, but step it up to 105 (65mph) every passing lane.
Old 07-28-2011, 03:06 AM
Senior Board Member

The easiest, most effective way to get around the 65 game is to leave the ECM set at 65, but turn on the driver rewards setting. You could set the driver reward that you could go faster as long as you are getting above 2mpg. If the truck is plugged into by Canadian enforcement, it shows the truck speed set at 65. Also, this would come in handy if you were going faster than that. Most people who have any familiarity will radar can easily show how the radar could have "pinged" off of another vehicle. And since the truck ECM shows that the truck is set at 65, it then becomes a matter of proof that you were the one going over. I know a couple of drivers who run Canada on a consistent basis that have done this very thing to their trucks. No tricks, no gimmics. These features are built into the ECM. Just have your favorite engine shop hook up the computer and turn those features on and set the parameters to your taste.

And if you are leased on to a carrier that wants the truck speed limited, it works the same. They can pull your truck in and see if it is set to max of 65, which it would be, yet you have the driver reward feature set so low that a moron could always meet the threshold, and then you could cruise along at a faster clip if you wanted.

Sometimes the technology can be a PITA, but other times it can work in your favor.

Last edited by Copperhead; 07-28-2011 at 03:12 AM.