User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2009, 05:56 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default 2005 freightliner columbia 500000ml maint?

I just bought a fleet maintaned 2005 freightliner columbia with 500000 and cat c-15. Im just wondering were i should start doing maintanace. It runs perfect but i know I need to change belts,filters,fluids. what else should I check first to keep her rolling. I know this is a broad ? but ive been a company driver so I know they do pm every 20000 miles on all fleet trucks. and im not a mechanic. any info would be helpfull. thanks
Old 11-21-2009, 01:45 PM
BANNED
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlhgpt View Post
I just bought a fleet maintaned 2005 freightliner columbia with 500000 and cat c-15. Im just wondering were i should start doing maintanace. It runs perfect but i know I need to change belts,filters,fluids. what else should I check first to keep her rolling. I know this is a broad ? but ive been a company driver so I know they do pm every 20000 miles on all fleet trucks. and im not a mechanic. any info would be helpfull. thanks
Do a overhead adjustment(tune-up)..

I own 2006 and I have 394K on it with Detroit,nice trucks..
Old 11-22-2009, 05:25 AM

Find a mechanic who will come to your place and teach you how to do some stuff.
Cash, booze, BBQ, whatever he or she will work for...

Remember, that fleet did not spend cash on that truck as it was winding down towards the sale.

Buy a good quality tire gauge and use it regularly.

One of those infrared heat guns is a great thing. Heat precedes failure in all things mechanical. Shoot bearings, tires, brake drums, etc when you stop, get a feel for what is normal, so you can find what isn't before it fails catastrophically.

All filters, fuel, oil, air, look close at the belts, check for play in the tensioners.

Time for differentials and transmission oil change?

At that mileage, I'd expect the brakes might be close to needing done, pull the drums and do wheel seals at the same time as inspecting the brakes. You can do this in the driveway, however, you need a big piece of cardboard, a piece of tin, the socket for the bearing nut, some grease, and something to catch the oil... your mechanic friend will know the rest, be sure to measure the insides of the drums for wear, don't just hang new shoes.

Learn how to measure pushrod stroke and keep a record of it. Liability as well as keeping track of the brake wear and function of your auto slacks.

Write everything down that you do in a binder for the purpose. You'll forget when you did things, as the years and novelty wear off, and it makes a paper trail showing your diligence in maintaining the truck.

You are closer to radiator replacement than further.

Get the Cat books for that model year of engine, not the year of the truck, and if they say do a turbo, do it.

As noted, get the valve adjustments done.

You need to get real friendly with your grease gun, and buy cartridges by the case, it's cheaper. Hardcore types buy it by the barrel. The grease zerk you don't find today is tomorrow's expensive unneccesary repair. I find it helpful to add another length of hose to my grease gun, more flexibility in reaching stuff.

Bags and bags of rags. Fabric scraps from the garment district, purchase or rent like a shop does.

Best of luck!

Ontario, Canada
Old 11-22-2009, 12:09 PM
Senior Board Member

I agree with what LBF posted above, and I will add this:

Always keep in mind that grease is cheaper than parts and it's much easier to install.

Old 11-22-2009, 03:03 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBF View Post

At that mileage, I'd expect the brakes might be close to needing done, pull the drums and do wheel seals at the same time as inspecting the brakes. You can do this in the driveway, however, you need a big piece of cardboard, a piece of tin, the socket for the bearing nut, some grease, and something to catch the oil... your mechanic friend will know the rest, be sure to measure the insides of the drums for wear, don't just hang new shoes.
Don't you need an air gun to get the lugs off? I tried it once with a breaker bar and the bar broke in half.
Old 11-22-2009, 03:20 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmon View Post
Don't you need an air gun to get the lugs off? I tried it once with a breaker bar and the bar broke in half.
If you've got Unimount hub piloted wheels as most modern trucks & trailers do, then a 3/4 drive air impact wrench with a 33mm socket is what you need.

Old 11-24-2009, 01:48 AM

A length of fence post to length your breaker bar will make quick work of those stubborn nuts if you want to do them manually.

Remember, only tighten them to 500 foot/lbs, which is your weight that far out the piece of pipe.

So, if you are 250 lbs, 2 feet out the bar, and you gently lift your feet off the ground gives you proper torque.

Ontario, Canada

Tags
cat c-15 maintanace