User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2009, 03:24 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Well, I didn't own the trucks that needed the new trannies.

First one we started to drive, and told owners it was slipping out of gear. Went home, put into shop, found the broken shiftfork and numerous other problems, got a rebuilt, since they just bought the truck used for us to drive a few weeks earlier.

Second one my husband and I started to drive right before he died. I drove it home from Pennsylvania (it was in a wreck, driver got fired). It had 74,000 miles on it. It made a faint noise through the drive line, not really anything we could put our finger on, but you could feel it more than hear it. Put it into shop, they couldn't find anything. About 8 weeks later, put it into shop again, same faint "noise", can't find anything. Fast forward to 150,000 miles. Gears slipping, grinding and whatnot. Boss had me drive it home, and the tranny was pulp. Several gears had hardly any teeth left. It took several weeks fighting with Eaton, but in the end the honored the warranty. They may not have, if I hadn't brought the truck in to have it checked out twice.

They tried to blame it on driver error. While I can't speak for the first driver of the truck, I know I didn't do this. Here I was widowed, counting on having this job. Thank God it worked out well.

Well, sorry about hijacking this. I am talkative tonight. And I am sorry to hear I was right....hopefully you will get going soon.
Old 11-12-2009, 04:01 AM
Senior Board Member

I always wondered what happened with that story, I couldn't remember who it was on here. Glad everything seemed to work out ok. Still sorry for your loss, must be tough.
Old 11-17-2009, 01:44 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrick4 View Post
Looks much worse than first anticipated. They dropped somthing when fixing it and found a broken retaining something or other. Long story short I need a new transmission. On top of the new egr cooler for another truck I am having done and this is a costly week.

By the way, it's obvious I know nothing about mechanics but I went with someone to visually inspect the transmission on the floor, the thing that kills me is it was out of warranty by only 31 days.
What type of transmission? What's the cost? Who's doing the work? (big shop or little guy?)
I'm just curious for my own information someday, hopefully way down the road.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:06 PM
Default Slipping out of 10th or high gear

I hope this bit of info will help anyone having a similar problem in the future. Most of the time on a roadranger (eaton) transmission jumping out of the final gear, it is not that serious of a problem, and certainly does not indicate it's time to rebuild or replace the trans. Many times it can be repaired without removing the trans. As stated above there is a spring and ball in the shift tower that sometimes gets lost while other repairs are being done that require the removal of the tower. In my experience though the shift fork in the top cover that stays engaged to the sliding clutch gear, for your high gear (9th or 10th or 13th or what ever gear you spend most of your time in, wears quicker than the rest and will more frequently cause the problem. You can usually get away with taking the top cover off the trans. and replacing the fork at least once before you have to go into the trans. The next time you do it, it's a good Idea to replace the corresponding sliding clutch gear and closely examine the gear itself. You have to remove the trans. for this and partially dis-assemble. I have done this many times without finding any other problems. Yes, from time to time you do see other problems, but a jumping out of high problem is not usually related. I am stating this from a truck owners point of view and not a commercial shops point of view. I know there are a lot of good, honest mechanics and shops out there but unfortunately there are also rip-offs. they know they can repair your jumping out of gear problem cheap, and easy and sell it to the next guy so they sell you a rebuilt or in some cases, they say they've rebuilt yours and show you a bunch of worn out parts that weren't even yours. Also I've never seen anyone address this but the Eaton transmissions are what's called constant mesh, almost everything in there is turning when the engine is turning, therefore excessive idling also wears on the trans. I am only familiar with Eaton roadranger style transmissions and none of this may hold true with other make transmissions.