LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2009, 02:29 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Nose Cone

A friend of mine just started pulling his van. He parked his flatbed. The problem is that he has lost quite a bit in fuel economy so he is thinking about getting one of the nose cones or bubbles. I was wondering if anyone knew how much fuel mileage would improve and if anyone knew about how much these cost and a good source?
Old 10-18-2009, 04:19 PM
Default nose cone

I went thru all the checking about 5 years ago and this is what I came up with then. Nose cones are expensive and if you hit a tree limb, even a small one they break. I ended up with a turbo wing I got from 4-State delivered for about $1100. I think they still are about $1000 if you pick it up. The results were incredible. I went from a 4.6 quarterly to a 5.5 mpg. in fact there was also a noticable difference in handling while bob-tailing. When I bought it I had hoped to pay for it in a year and ended up covering it's cost in a matter of months.Sorry to say I lost the info I researched for the nose cone, but I highly recommend the turbo wing anyway.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:25 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Thanks for the information, moe. That is a pretty impressive increase in fuel mileage. My friend told me that he didn't really want to buy a wing since he will be pulling his flat after the first of the year. I think that he just didn't want to drill any holes in his roof. He owns a Freightliner Century midroof. I will pass it along and let him make his own decision.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:59 PM
Default Big jump

One of the reasons for realizing such a good increase in mpg was the fact that it is a 359 flattop pete (which is not the most aero-dynamic truck out there to begin with) and there was quite a bit of flat area from the top of the sleeper to the top of the trailer I had hoped for even a small increase and was very surprised myself with the results, and kicked myself for not having done it sooner. I now average about 6 mpg per quarter with that truck and could do much better if not for my bad habits. I would guess though if a nose cone could be purchased and installed for under $1100.00 it would be worth doing. depending on the amount of time he plans on pulling that trailer. I base that on realizing a .3 increase in mpg at an average of 2000 mile per wk. for about 6 months with fuel at about $2.50 per gallon raising mpg from 5.5 to 5.8 That's a lot of guesstimating but close to realistic.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:57 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I think that he only plans to pull the van through the winter months. Once spring gets here he will likely go back to his flat. I appreciate the information, moe. I will pass all of that along to him. There is nothing like having information from someone who has experienced it first hand.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:07 PM
Default great scource for information

That"s what I love about this place. Although I maintain a low presence around here, I do follow it often. After 35 years of owning trucks I still manage to pick up some really helpful and or useful information. Once in a while you need high boots and a shovel to get to it, but that sometimes proves to be fun in itself. But seriously there is a combined wealth of knoledge here that is priceless.
Old 10-23-2009, 05:28 AM
Rookie

I bought a Nose Cone back in '01, factory installed by Nose cone themselves. The price then was just under 700$. My fuel mileage went from an average of 5.6 to 6.2, but the best part was the added control in cross winds, no fighting the steering wheel. I'm not sure if the Cone is also the reason my trailer tires seem to wear less, a lot less. I've got over 260k miles on my trailer tires and still have over 50% of the tread left.

I've also pulled other trailers w/o the Cone, and the difference is night and day in handling and fuel mileage. I've had zero problems with my Nose Cone in 8 years. I have lent my trailer to other o/o for a load or two and they love pulling it, even tho it is on the heavy side, being a Great Dane, it pulls much better then any make of trailer that doesn't have the Cone. :thumbsup:
Old 10-23-2009, 03:45 PM
Senior Board Member

I've also pulled other trailers w/o the Cone, and the difference is night and day in handling and fuel mileage. I've had zero problems with my Nose Cone in 8 years. I have lent my trailer to other o/o for a load or two and they love pulling it, even tho it is on the heavy side, being a Great Dane, it pulls much better then any make of trailer that doesn't have the Cone.

this cone... it goes on the truck, not trailer correct ?
Old 10-30-2009, 04:58 AM
Rookie

this cone... it goes on the truck, not trailer correct ?[/QUOTE]

Mine is on the trailer nose.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:36 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
I think that he only plans to pull the van through the winter months. Once spring gets here he will likely go back to his flat. I appreciate the information, moe. I will pass all of that along to him. There is nothing like having information from someone who has experienced it first hand.
I talked to a tarp dealer that sells flatbed equipment, tarps and builds/installs rolling tarp systems and a nose cone was mentioned as an option on their rolling tarp system description. I'd say any U.S. dealer/shop that makes rolling tarp systems will be able to sell your friend the nose cone.

Watch my YouTube videos