User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2009, 12:04 AM
BANNED
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default radiator...

I think that i may have a leak on my radiator, i can where it is coming out of but not with a 100% accuracy.

Its DD60 series and it has 355K miles on it.....Leak is coming out of drivers side top corner right beneath the plastic which is blocking my view......I would like to find out if anyone has a similar problem and was the cause actual radiator or something else up there, are there any gaskets or something?

How much does that new radiator costs?

Are the aftermarket radiators same quality as the one in Freightliner?

I have checked out Ace radiators and they seem to be OK, are they and do you guys have any other suggestions?

BTW
Does that ,,stop radiator leak'' thing really works, bottles that you can buy at a truck stop?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GetAttachment.aspx.jpg (37.4 KB, 15 views)
Old 08-10-2009, 12:10 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejanh View Post
One more pic....
looks like rad. make sure the coolant isnt dripping off the bottom side of that vent hose.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:19 AM
BANNED
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob h View Post
looks like rad. make sure the coolant isnt dripping off the bottom side of that vent hose.

Yeah Bob, i checked that like million times, it aint it am sorry to say...
Old 08-10-2009, 12:48 AM
Senior Board Member

Do not use that radiator stop leak stuff. It sometimes clogs up the heater core. Now one problem has become two.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:19 AM
Rookie

buy the whole radiator with the brackets on it,DONT buy just a core.there are 2 pins on each corner that almost never come out,and if they come out hard you sometimes bend the brackets real bad,and they never go back together right. also,the bolts holding the frame together break easy,especially with age.

where the leak looks like it is the top tank to the core has sprung a leak,i guess you are using lifetime(red) coolant.ive seen at least a dozen freightliner radiatores leak either there or the core pops a hole in it.

call freightliner with the vin and see if there is a extended warranty on the radiator.ive seen them warranty a radiator that leaks before.its worth a try!!

to change them out doesnt take much at all.remove the a/c condensor,dont disconnect it,just flip it over the pass side.take the left radiator braces right off,more room,pull the air to air off,less weight,plus unbolt the fan shroud,3 bolts on each side,the mount bolts,2-19mm nuts come off easy.also be carefull when pulling the air to air off on the pass side,the bolts go into the core,be gentile with them,breaking them off is bad stuff!! also been there before!!!

how do i know this,done quite a few of them,almost all the leaks were at the tank to core gasket.

the price we got was $355 for a core,$785 for a complete radiator with brackets.

Last edited by magna19; 08-10-2009 at 05:21 AM. Reason: addition
Old 08-10-2009, 12:18 PM
BANNED
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magna19 View Post
buy the whole radiator with the brackets on it,DONT buy just a core.there are 2 pins on each corner that almost never come out,and if they come out hard you sometimes bend the brackets real bad,and they never go back together right. also,the bolts holding the frame together break easy,especially with age.

where the leak looks like it is the top tank to the core has sprung a leak,i guess you are using lifetime(red) coolant.ive seen at least a dozen freightliner radiatores leak either there or the core pops a hole in it.

call freightliner with the vin and see if there is a extended warranty on the radiator.ive seen them warranty a radiator that leaks before.its worth a try!!

to change them out doesnt take much at all.remove the a/c condensor,dont disconnect it,just flip it over the pass side.take the left radiator braces right off,more room,pull the air to air off,less weight,plus unbolt the fan shroud,3 bolts on each side,the mount bolts,2-19mm nuts come off easy.also be carefull when pulling the air to air off on the pass side,the bolts go into the core,be gentile with them,breaking them off is bad stuff!! also been there before!!!

how do i know this,done quite a few of them,almost all the leaks were at the tank to core gasket.

the price we got was $355 for a core,$785 for a complete radiator with brackets.
Thank you magna. So its the whole thing ha, i thought so.

Would you recomend Ace radiator supply or just go with the Freightliner one....You said it should not cost more than 800 at the shakershop..that does not sound too bad i think.

Thanx again....
Old 08-10-2009, 02:59 PM
Rookie

call freightliner with the vin,see if there is any warranty on it.ive seen them warranty stupid things,and they did have a run on radiators lately.so it is worth a try.

they use behr as there company,which i think supplies quite a few companys with radiators,so do the dealer thing.i know money is tight for everyone,but just sometimes the dealer us the way to go.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:54 PM
BANNED
Senior Board Member

Just a quick update on my situation..

It was a radiator and it was a top tank. I replaced the whole thing but i was able to buy one with a metal top. It is about 300$ more but i bought it. Labor with all parts was 1260 out the door. I didnt think twice about it.

Freightliner did not warranty it, it has expired at about 100K miles so thats it about that.

Thanx guys for all your help.