User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2008, 01:53 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default freightliner columbia radio issue

freightliner columbia radio... the radio in my company daycab is a peice of shit. i dunno if it overheats, but it turns itself off like 40 times aday.. pisses me of. its a reg am/fm no cass or cd i cant even turn the volume up so i can hear it without it clipping off. somedays itll be fine all day, others itll cut off every few minutes. id like to replace this radio with a aftermarket cd player . i dont have the 2 little hooks to pull it out of the dash to see if the harness is loose.... my question is where can i buy a cd player that is a direct plug in for the truck. i did this in my old mack, but a buddy got the radio for me on his route no clue where he got it from.
Old 06-14-2008, 02:10 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: freightliner columbia radio issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by INKTOXICATED
freightliner columbia radio... the radio in my company daycab is a peice of $&!+. i dunno if it overheats, but it turns itself off like 40 times aday.. pisses me of. its a reg am/fm no cass or cd i cant even turn the volume up so i can hear it without it clipping off. somedays itll be fine all day, others itll cut off every few minutes. id like to replace this radio with a aftermarket cd player . i dont have the 2 little hooks to pull it out of the dash to see if the harness is loose.... my question is where can i buy a cd player that is a direct plug in for the truck. i did this in my old mack, but a buddy got the radio for me on his route no clue where he got it from.
What is the voltage reading on the volt meter in your truck?

Some radios have over voltage protection and will shut off if input voltage is too high in order to prevent damage to the radio.

If the alternator voltage regulator is allowing too high of a voltage in the truck's electrical system that could be the problem.

Or, maybe the radio is a piece o' sh*t after all.
Old 06-14-2008, 02:23 AM
Senior Board Member

You can pick up those radio removal tools at Wal-mart by the radio display for a couple three bucks. 8) 8)