User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2008, 11:18 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default I NEVER HAD JAKES IN MY LIFE!FINALLY!

In the past two years of being an O/O, I have been through Monteagle,Jelico,Jonson city TN(321 and 421),hills of Seligman on I-40(AZ),I-77 in WVA or I-81 from TN.I was driving a truck with no jakes.I never knew how serious it was until I saw the smoke and smelt the brakes.I also woke up when my wife and uncle kept saying I would kill myself one day by going to those places.

I found a guy who will install a used one for
$1050.I am picking up the truck tomorrow to test this soo called Jakes.
He said those were Jakes and not retards and I believe the jakes are stronger.
What is the most common problems with these equipment?I hear many people say their jakes are weak etc....

I am picking up the truck tomorrow for a test drive.I also learned that if I had some other ECU(besides a D DAC 2 etc), only Detroit Diesel would have to reprogram it for about $400 to enable this install.
I am glad I am alive, hauling OD at 48k and coming down Monteagle and all I saw was smoke.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:24 PM
Board Regular

I've been through Monteagle countless times, problem is the drivers seem to treat it as been there done that. I mean I always kept to a safe speed below the suggested maximum, but I would see at least one super trucker roar down the hill and get stuck behind someone doing it the right way. Well they smoke the hell out there brakes trying to slow down.

Very common to see a smoke show and a truck in the run away.
Old 05-31-2008, 08:43 PM
Board Regular
Default Finally!

While bobtailing, I really didn't notice much of a difference (3 being the strongest) as far as the stopping ing power, althought the sound was louder than the other 2 stages.At 70MPH my rpm is at 1600.I finally realised that at a more higher rpm is when I really see a difference in the stopping power.This is a 9speed Eaton Tranny, and so I dropped the gear to 7TH and at 1600-1800 there is a major difference in the stopping power than at the last gear(8TH SPEED).Then again I don't know the response on other trucks to compare with. 8th speed with jakes on with 48kibs of load will do nothing until I drop the gear.Obviously I wouldn't be doing Monteagle in 8th gear.

Over all I am happy!!!
Old 06-05-2008, 12:26 AM
Senior Board Member

Just don't force a down shift and over rev the motor. You will blow it up.

Who you doing OD for?
Old 06-11-2008, 08:02 PM
Rookie

went down 8 mile hill near salina utah in a 85 pete with no jake -will never do it again lol
Old 06-11-2008, 08:30 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: I NEVER HAD JAKES IN MY LIFE!FINALLY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by henboy1
In the past two years of being an O/O, I have been through Monteagle,Jelico,Jonson city TN(321 and 421),hills of Seligman on I-40(AZ),I-77 in WVA or I-81 from TN.I was driving a truck with no jakes.I never knew how serious it was until I saw the smoke and smelt the brakes.I also woke up when my wife and uncle kept saying I would kill myself one day by going to those places.

What is the most common problems with these equipment?I hear many people say their jakes are weak etc....

I am picking up the truck tomorrow for a test drive.I also learned that if I had some other ECU(besides a D DAC 2 etc), only Detroit Diesel would have to reprogram it for about $400 to enable this install.
I am glad I am alive, hauling OD at 48k and coming down Monteagle and all I saw was smoke.

Biggest Problem with retarders are Driver's becoming over dependent on Jakes-- and thinking they are easy way to solve other issues -- like starting down a steep grade-- in too high a gear and smoking those brakes--- news flash--- Jakes won't stop you--- their only nice extras to "help"-- and you're suppose to engage them--from a stop at the top of a hill...... and their nice to have to bring you to a stop 10 miles down the road after you lose all your brakes completely good luck, Glad every "hill" you named is in the eastern US.--
Old 06-11-2008, 08:32 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: I NEVER HAD JAKES IN MY LIFE!FINALLY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by henboy1

Biggest Problem with retarders are Driver's becoming over dependent on Jakes-- and thinking they are easy way to solve other issues -- like starting down a steep grade-- in too high a gear and smoking those brakes--- news flash--- Jakes won't stop you--- their only nice extras to "help"-- and you're suppose to engage them--from a stop at the top of a hill...... and their nice to have to bring you to a stop 10 miles down the road after you lose all your brakes completely good luck, Glad every "hill" you named is in the eastern US.--
Old 06-14-2008, 11:27 AM
Board Regular
Default Through my company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidman82
Just don't force a down shift and over rev the motor. You will blow it up.

Who you doing OD for?

I am getting them through my company by seeing them via laptop and booking them.There are a lot of machinery in this kind of work with the company.