User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2008, 05:02 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default 89 Freightliner COE driverside cab tilt release stuck

I'm not a trucker so go easy on me if this is a dumb question. I have 89 Freighliner COE and someone broke my driverside CAB tilt release handle. I assume they were trying to get at the batteries since they also stole my running lights and gas caps. Since I don't know how they broke the handle I have little knowledge of what is wrong.

I manufactured a new handle (to replace the broken one) but now there is zero movement in the cam (lever) mounted to the cab and zero movement of the dual springs. The rod going from the handle to the cam just flexes.

The Passenger side has a chrome safety pull lever and the painted release handle moves smoothly. When the cam (lever) rotates the dual springs move away from the frame bracket. There is no such movement on the stuck drivers side.

The truck is new to me an in order to get the plates (vin verification) and my license (pre-trip) I must be able to tilt the cab.

Does anyone have an idea why the release mechanism is stuck? Is this a common problem on the COE? Is there perhaps too much tension on the dual springs (they have a bolt going through them). Is there a way to disassemble and fix this?

Additionally; is it just me or do the COE have extremly sloppy shift linkage? Any aftermarket fixes to make the shifting better?

Thanks for any and all tips.
Old 04-23-2008, 12:51 AM

Is it possible that the bandits started to jack the cab up without releasing the latches and the stuck side is just bound up and you need to release the the jack or if it has dual acting cylinders reverse the jack and jack the the cab down to unbind it???????
Old 03-27-2012, 12:50 PM
Rookie
Unhappy 90 COE cab won't tilt..

I have a similar problem. I just picked up a 90 Freightliner COE and I can't get the cab to tilt. I filled the pump with hydraulic oil and cranked away but nothing.
Is there more than one position on the pump valve (up /drain) and is there a valve in the cab that needs to be set?

Same problem, I can't do pre-trip without tilting the cab.

Also I have an air leak that I can hear but can't get to the area with the cab in place. It's leaks down to about 80-90 PSI then I can't hear it anymore, probably an accessory line.

When I pull a trailer with only 90 PSI the trailer brakes lock up really easily.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:53 AM
Rookie

Hi all!! While searching the solution for your problem just found this FREIGHTLINER COE Problems | FREIGHTLINER COE Recalls & Defects hope this helps you.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:53 PM
Senior Board Member

I have never been asked to tilt cab for inspection. by anyone.