User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2007, 09:15 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default buying cummins

i'm looking to buy my first truck, and i've recently come across a 2000 freightliner with a N14, factory 460, cummins. it has app. 830k miles on it, but it's clean, seems well-cared for and i like the midroof sleeper set up. only thing i dont like is the meritor 10speed, i've always driven eatons. they're asking 24k. is this a good price? i'm going up next weekend, hopefully, to test drive and collect an oil sample for analysis. whatever i get, i need the motor to last me out a year, maybe even two years before i get into any major work on it.

how many miles can/do people run on these cummins motors before having them inframed? how much is a good inframe kit for this model cummins? are there any known reliabilty/parts issues with them? my dad works on trucks and it seems like he used to replace a lot of injectors on N14s, and he says they generally dont have the longevity that cat motors have.

he thinks i should just buy the freightliner i'm in, because it has a cat c12. although they drive a little different, and burn a little more fuel, it's been my experience that cats are extremely dependable and durable, especially with heavy haul applications. the guy only wants maybe 18k for the one i'm in, but i really dont like the way the c12 pulls our heavy (50-57k) loads, and the truck needs at least 3500$ in work, from the fan clutch, front end alignment, tires, shocks and kingpins, etc, just to get it back in half-way decent shape.

anybody have any advice? any experience with both of these motors?

i think this forum is a really great place for young drivers learn more about trucking, i really appreciate the older drivers taking the time to share their experience.[/list]
Old 12-15-2007, 09:50 PM
Board Icon

$24K for an 8 year old Freightliner with that many miles on it seems a bit high, especially with a 10 speed.
Old 12-16-2007, 01:24 AM
Senior Board Member

On the driver's side of the engine, at the front of the gear case area there is a pulley that drives the water pump. Look behind that pulley for oil leaks.
Old 12-16-2007, 05:41 PM
Board Regular

Got 1.2 million out of our 525 signature before we overhauled it. Smoked more out the draft tube than it did out of the stack and had oil coming out of ever place it could come out of. Damn, damn good engine. Wish I had em in all the trucks. We run a fuel lubricity additive in it and have had very few injector problems. It was a bit expensive to overhaul, though. The 2 piece pistons alone were only available thru Cummins and cost $1,600.
Old 12-19-2007, 01:43 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit102
Got 1.2 million out of our 525 signature before we overhauled it. Smoked more out the draft tube than it did out of the stack and had oil coming out of ever place it could come out of. Damn, damn good engine. Wish I had em in all the trucks. We run a fuel lubricity additive in it and have had very few injector problems. It was a bit expensive to overhaul, though. The 2 piece pistons alone were only available thru Cummins and cost $1,600.

ISX is a totally different beast than the N14.

Not sure about ISX... but, N14 pistons generally don't incur much wear in normal operation... I've re-ringed them at overhaul on more than one ocassion.
Old 12-19-2007, 02:21 AM

I have a Cat C-12 in my international and it had 628k on it when I had a complete in-frame done, and that is very unusual from what the mechanic says. The mechanic told me that whoever had the truck before me really kicked the crap out of it and was very surpised it was still running. But my engine had a bad turbo and 5 of the 6 cylinders were blowing oil and the thing still ran like a champ. But either way it runs very good for me now after the rebuild and I get around 6 mpg which is a good thing right now. I know it says my engine is 410hp but it does have 1450 ft/lb of torque which is the main thing when it comes to pulling heavy. Hope this helps!!
Old 12-19-2007, 03:01 AM
Senior Board Member

We have a 1995 T600 with a 410 hp N14, 15 speed, 3.93 rear and thing is awesome. Stays right with or out pulls a 475hp C-15 with a 13 speed/3.73 rear and a 500 Detroit with a 18speed/3.73. Gets better fuel mileage too. 9 empty and 7 with 45,000 on the deck ( Cdn gallons).

The N14 was rebuilt at 400,000 because someone didn't replace the oil plug after changing the oil. Currently has 600,000 on that rebuild.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:26 PM
Board Regular

Drove a Pete years ago with a 460hp N14, 15 speed against the dash, and something like 3.34 drives. That was a BIG truck. I loved that Cummins. Don't know about the 550's of today, but back then there never was a Cat or Detroit that could hold a candle to that cummins in that pete. Even with the high gears, that thing pulled and pulled hard!

The guy still has that truck, its a 1991 and he's overhauled it once. I don't know how many miles were or are now on it but I do know that he still loves it and says he'll NEVER get rid of it.
Old 12-21-2007, 01:03 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
The N14 was rebuilt at 400,000 because someone didn't replace the oil plug after changing the oil. Currently has 600,000 on that rebuild.
Actually, it sounds like they didn't replace the drain plug after draining the oil.

They couldn't have actually changed the oil if they forgot to replace the drain plug, because the new oil would drain right out again.

:lol: :lol:
Old 01-01-2008, 05:41 PM
Rookie

thanks everybody for your helpful info ... decided not to buy. truck wouldn't start, got spooked i guess. was leaking of rear main pretty good and needed new steer tires. oh well. hope everybody has a really good holiday season and gets to spend a least a little time with their loved ones.