Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitshifter
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob h
Quote:
Originally Posted by COLT
Pre Filling Filters...

Hmm, sounds like a good debate, I used to prefill until a tech pointed out the fact that I was exposing the engine and fuel system to unfiltered fluids.... I thought about it, and stopped doing it.

:lol:

that is the very reason that cat does not want their filters pre-filled. filling the filter through the 'outer ring' of the filter eliminates this 'unfiltered oil' problem, but takes all day to fill

furthermore, when you re-start the engine following the oil change the engine is only cranked, started, and then set to run at idle speed until the oil pressure appears on the gauge... no load on the oil saturated bearings, so no damage

i.e. - I fill my fuel filters, but often not my oil filters
As for myself, I'll continue to pre fill the oil filter(s).

That's how I've always done it, that's how I will always do it.

The thought of the bottom end running without oil while the filter fills up disturbs me.

And regarding the possibility of exposing the engine to unfiltered fluids, I believe that possibility is remote, as long as proper cleanliness is maintained while filling them.

Actually, if proper care is not exercised, dirt could fall into an unfilled filter too, during installation.

it's lacking oil pressure not oil ; I have yet to remove a bearing shell that was dry… no matter how many hours, days, or weeks since the engine last ran

Every time you start an engine it runs without pressure momentarily… is a few extra seconds gonna wipe those bearings? There’s zero load on the engine, I don’t suspect much (if any) damage should occur… I’ve yet to see it on any unit I service

... i didn't say anything about dirt falling into the filter
Old 09-20-2007, 12:44 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitshifter
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by COLT
Pre Filling Filters...

Hmm, sounds like a good debate, I used to prefill until a tech pointed out the fact that I was exposing the engine and fuel system to unfiltered fluids.... I thought about it, and stopped doing it.

:lol:

that is the very reason that cat does not want their filters pre-filled. filling the filter through the 'outer ring' of the filter eliminates this 'unfiltered oil' problem, but takes all day to fill

furthermore, when you re-start the engine following the oil change the engine is only cranked, started, and then set to run at idle speed until the oil pressure appears on the gauge... no load on the oil saturated bearings, so no damage

i.e. - I fill my fuel filters, but often not my oil filters
As for myself, I'll continue to pre fill the oil filter(s).

That's how I've always done it, that's how I will always do it.

The thought of the bottom end running without oil while the filter fills up disturbs me.

And regarding the possibility of exposing the engine to unfiltered fluids, I believe that possibility is remote, as long as proper cleanliness is maintained while filling them.

Actually, if proper care is not exercised, dirt could fall into an unfilled filter too, during installation.

it's lacking oil pressure not oil ; I have yet to remove a bearing shell that was dry… no matter how many hours, days, or weeks since the engine last ran

Every time you start an engine it runs without pressure momentarily… is a few extra seconds gonna wipe those bearings? There’s zero load on the engine, I don’t suspect much (if any) damage should occur… I’ve yet to see it on any unit I service

... i didn't say anything about dirt falling into the filter

Quote:
I don’t suspect much (if any) damage should occur…
But why take the chance when it's so easy to pre fill the filter(s) with clean oil?

All the years I ran my own trucks I always pre filled, and where I work now it's shop policy to pre fill.

As fussy as my boss is about his trucks and equipment, I'm sure I'd be fired if I put filters on "dry".