User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2007, 04:04 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default '05 Metal Coolant Tank Woes (UGH!)

After getting my truck I was not aware of this particular issue until I started having the problems with heat build-up.

After dropping a gallon of coolant into the tank, I noticed that the neck, the seat for the cap, and the cap where all rusted. I had the cap replaced hoping it would fix the problem and it has not.

Since coming up from Chandler Az yesterday I had to keep my fan on for the entire trip into Beaver Ut. The truck was running around 215 (I kept my R's down to 1500 and kept it in a low gear) and eventually got it down. It did not help the fact that it was 110+ for most of the trip.

I got up this morning and checked on my coolant and have found that in the week since I last filled the tank, I have lost in excess of 1 1/2 gallons of coolant, I filled the tank with the gallon I had, and limped it to the terminal up here in Ut. Hopefully they get this fixed.

Is there a good way to get rid of the rust on the seat for the cap? Peterbilt is closed tomorrow and I have a feeling that the shop is going to say that they cannot do anything about it.

I was thinking of stuffing a rag down the neck, taking some sand paper and sanding down the rust, and then blowing it out before removing the rag from the neck.

Any ideas would be great, thanx!