User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2007, 02:10 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Every michelin dealer in north america is supposed to have them...
Old 05-19-2007, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_worries
I've been running single for 2 years and have been happy with the tires. However, it seems that there is an issue with my suspension that has just recently been identified by KW. Because SS are not the norm, they could cause issues that aren't initially apparent. This is something that seems to be specific to this transmission but it does heighten my awareness of the potential for problems.

What are the problems you are having ?
Old 05-20-2007, 05:35 AM
Senior Board Member

Speedco's and Petro's all carry X-ones as well.

Bobby,

Wide-base tires derive their fuel efficiency from the fact that there are half as many sidewalls flexing. In addition, the sidewalls are beefed up, resulting in less flexion. The consequence is that X-ones vibrate at a higher frequency while going down the road. KW has determined that the AG400 suspension is not engineered to properly dissipate this higher frequency of vibration. The end result is that added stress is transferred to the brake components. I've snapped 3 S-cam brackets and ripped 3 brake cannister off of their mounting bolts. They've come up with a possible solution that's factory installed on all new trucks and can be retrofitted on older ones. I had it installed this winter so we'll see if if does the trick. I have to say, I'm skeptical.
Old 05-20-2007, 06:22 AM
Senior Board Member

Honestly, higher frequencies are usually much easier on components. It's the lower frequencies that hurts things.

I think kenworth is scapegoating.
Old 05-20-2007, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_worries
Speedco's and Petro's all carry X-ones as well.

Bobby,

Wide-base tires derive their fuel efficiency from the fact that there are half as many sidewalls flexing. In addition, the sidewalls are beefed up, resulting in less flexion. The consequence is that X-ones vibrate at a higher frequency while going down the road. KW has determined that the AG400 suspension is not engineered to properly dissipate this higher frequency of vibration. The end result is that added stress is transferred to the brake components. I've snapped 3 S-cam brackets and ripped 3 brake cannister off of their mounting bolts. They've come up with a possible solution that's factory installed on all new trucks and can be retrofitted on older ones. I had it installed this winter so we'll see if if does the trick. I have to say, I'm skeptical.
Interesting,
What is the possible solution ?
Also, how did the truck feel after you switched... handling...ride.....running in the rain...etc.
Old 05-20-2007, 10:07 PM
Senior Board Member

I was going to get the SS,....but when I saw the video of how easy it was to control a blowout, I changed my mind. Not because it seemed unsafe, but because it seemed to me that they were blowing out both tires on one side at a time.
When they did this, it was impossible to tell what would happen to the good tire,...would it also blow, or could it hold the weight of a missing tire?
The video led me to believe that if one tire went,...the other would blow as well. I'll try to find the link and post it, but in the meantime, has anyone seen a blowout in action on SS's?
Old 05-20-2007, 11:54 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Honestly, higher frequencies are usually much easier on components. It's the lower frequencies that hurts things
Suspension systems are engineered to deal with vibration within certain tolerances. Get outside those tolerances and you're going to have issues, whether it be higher or lower frequency. A higher frequency means more vibration in a time period. They're looking at their own engineering as the problem so if somebody is looking for a scapegoat they kind of missed the point, don't ya think? :lol:

Bobby, their fix is a bracket that's welded to the axle housing to which a clamp is attached which has a swivel point. That clamp goes around the s-cam bracket and allows added range of motion with the flexion of the suspension. This is meant to relieve the stress placed on the braking components when the suspension flexes.

I've love the wide-base tires. The ride is smooth and I've never had a handling issue. In two years I haven't broken traction in rain or snow. Maintenance is a snap and I've been pretty happy with the tread life (projected at 340,000 miles). I had one blowout and it was a non-issue as far as handling. I didn't even realize it had happened as it felt and sounded like I'd just hit a bump in the road. Only when my traction control showed I was spinning did I realize what had happened. The truck tracked normally the whole time and there was no issue as far as added weight on the remaining tire, nor was their any damage to the wheel or my equipment. It happened near Van Horn, TX on a Saturday night, so I was down for about 3 hours waiting for a service truck from El Paso. I called the Speedco in El Paso, purchased a tire from them and the service guy brought it out and installed it. Ran me $300 for the call and 3 hours. I was very pleased. Now that I have my own trailer I carry a spare.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:56 AM