User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2007, 03:31 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

My old truck was a 88 T-6 I had 1 tank banded NEVER AGAIN!! It was corroded under they straps so they put a band at both straps looked good still leaked. Come to find out they never repaired the actual hole and fuel was getting between the tank and the band and would slowly seep at any pinhole. Than we had to move the tank back 6" so it fit in the saddlesproperly. Looked like crap! I had that tank off the truck 3 times in 2 weeks and repaired on the truck 2 more times. Thank god it was the passenger side tank and I could run without it. If you get it banded than I would epoxy it all the way around under the banding before they weld it.
Old 03-11-2007, 03:44 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Come to find out they never repaired the actual hole and fuel was getting between the tank and the band and would slowly seep at any pinhole.
That's cause they didn't do this:
Quote:
I always air test the tank after welding and before re installation to be sure there are no pinholes in the welds.
You must air pressure test it and re-weld any spots that are leaking.

Quote:
Than we had to move the tank back 6" so it fit in the saddlesproperly.
To fix that problem, I stated this:
Quote:
This may make it tough to get the straps back on due to the slightly increased diameter of the tank in the repaired area, but you can then weld an extension on the T bolt on one end of the straps if necessary.
When you can keep the banded areas partially hidden under the tank straps, the repair is much less noticeable.

Whoever fixed your tank did it half assed.

When done right, and pressure tested, you don't need that epoxy BS.
Old 03-17-2007, 12:08 PM
Board Regular
Default Re: leak in fuel tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibnflannel
I just noticed when i fueled today the left tank must have a small crack in it behind the support strap about 3/4 the way up the side. I t began dripping down the back side of the tank. My question is, on a Pete 379, can I shut the valves on top of the right tank in order to draw down the left tank quicker, then open the right tank valves, close the left tank valves and not use the left tank till I can fix it? Or does the engine just draw fuel from the left tank and rely on the right tank to bleed over? Or vice versa? I dont want to starve it and have it die on me if Ive got one tank shut off. Thanks
I drove a Cabover that had a crack Fuel Tank. The Boss welded it 2 times before he got it stoppewd. The Driver before me used a bar of soap to stop the leak till he got it back to the yard.