User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2007, 11:41 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default 2004 Freightliner Columbia Engine (Detroit) Issue

I have had a truck looked at by a mechanic. The "Check Engine" light is on. The mechanic used a laptop and an analyser to try to get a clear picture of the problem.

He said the analyser indicated that the cylinder 4 injector was flagged by the analyser as slow to respond. But he also said that when he turned the engine off, the analyser switched the indication from cylinder 4's injector to cylinder 6's injector. He thought it was a possible short in the wiring or a bad ECU.

On the road, the engine seems to run rough and sounds like it is "missing". The fan comes on frequently as the engine runs hot.

The mechanic stopped working on the truck because he was not making progress and switched to other jobs. He did advise sending the truck to a dealership. He said that was because the dealership may have a service bulletin covering this particular problem.

I played with the dash display and saw what looked like an error code (S1d 006).

The original problem was that the turbocharger self destructed. The mechanic put a new one in.

Anyway, does this ring a bell with anyone?
Old 02-26-2007, 09:07 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: 2004 Freightliner Columbia Engine (Detroit) Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAVP375
I have had a truck looked at by a mechanic. The "Check Engine" light is on. The mechanic used a laptop and an analyser to try to get a clear picture of the problem.

He said the analyser indicated that the cylinder 4 injector was flagged by the analyser as slow to respond. But he also said that when he turned the engine off, the analyser switched the indication from cylinder 4's injector to cylinder 6's injector. He thought it was a possible short in the wiring or a bad ECU.

On the road, the engine seems to run rough and sounds like it is "missing". The fan comes on frequently as the engine runs hot.

The mechanic stopped working on the truck because he was not making progress and switched to other jobs. He did advise sending the truck to a dealership. He said that was because the dealership may have a service bulletin covering this particular problem.

I played with the dash display and saw what looked like an error code (S1d 006).

The original problem was that the turbocharger self destructed. The mechanic put a new one in.

Anyway, does this ring a bell with anyone?
can you contact the mechanic and ask him what the active fault code is? i suspect that it's "cylinder #4 injector response time too long". S1d 006 is not a fault code

mechanics often point at the ecm when the problem doesn't make any sense to them

i would recommend a ddc (or, hd dodge dealership =)). the aftermarket should be quite inexperienced on post '02 electronic controls... sounds like this tech was lost???
Old 03-01-2007, 09:31 PM
Rookie

Super Trucker is right about the tech being lost. The reason the laptop changed its mind when the truck was cut off is because the laptop was set the view the last history which was probably what was wrong with the last truck it was connected to. If the injector response time is to long that usually means that something is afoul in the electronic part of the injector. Another problem that showed up for some time on the Dte's was the injector harness terminals under the valve cover would become loose and cause a fault and a miss. This however would start out intermittently and then get progressively worse. Not usually happening suddenly. I could see where a turbo explosion could cause an injector problem but it should not log a fault code since it would be on the mechanical side. A cylinder cutout test needs to be performed in conjunction with an accurate problem fault survey.
Old 03-05-2007, 01:23 AM
Rookie
Default Slow Response Issue

I believe I saw a 1696 come up but I will have to check the dash LCD display.

The "Check Engine" light was intermittently on when I first got the truck in January but it did gradually become constant or almost constant in February. This did not change with the replacement of the turbo.

One other thing, I've heard a banging coming from the engine compartment when driving on the road. Inside the cab, it sounds like someone hitting the firewall or hitting some panel with a big rubber mallet. There will be several of these bangs in succession about a second or more apart. With every bang the engine seems to lose some power but recovers within a second's time afterwards. Occurances of these bangs were much more frequent in January than now but sporadic episodes of the banging still occur.

This is very strange. I haven't been able to convince any of the mechanics I've talked to that the banging isn't a loose shock mount or isn't the sliding fifth wheel shifting back an forth. There's no "clank". It's more like a loud "thud".

A deteriorating turbo couldn't cause the injectors to ingest metal debris could it? I know the mechanic was very concerned about flushing any metal debris out of the intercooler.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:54 AM
Rookie

I believe you have an issue with #6 injector be it the electrical part or the harness. SID 006, which by the way means system identifier, is in fact the SAE equivalent of a flash code 71 or 61 which can be # 6 injector response time long or short depending on whether the "006" is followed by a 0 or a 1. This is indicting a problem at #6 injector. More than likely the injector harness terminals are loose at #6. This thud you are feeling is more than likely a miss and it will not smoke when this happens as it is not over fueling, it is not fueling at all when this happens. Need a Detroit or a F-liner shop to make the call. Not at all likely that the ECM is bad.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:54 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Slow Response Issue

quote="WAVP375"]I believe I saw a 1696 come up but I will have to check the dash LCD display.

The "Check Engine" light was intermittently on when I first got the truck in January but it did gradually become constant or almost constant in February. This did not change with the replacement of the turbo.

One other thing, I've heard a banging coming from the engine compartment when driving on the road. Inside the cab, it sounds like someone hitting the firewall or hitting some panel with a big rubber mallet. There will be several of these bangs in succession about a second or more apart. With every bang the engine seems to lose some power but recovers within a second's time afterwards. Occurances of these bangs were much more frequent in January than now but sporadic episodes of the banging still occur.

This is very strange. I haven't been able to convince any of the mechanics I've talked to that the banging isn't a loose shock mount or isn't the sliding fifth wheel shifting back an forth. There's no "clank". It's more like a loud "thud".

if the thud is due to suspension, 5th wheel, etc it should be dependant on road geography; bumps, dips, potholes, etc

A deteriorating turbo couldn't cause the injectors to ingest metal debris could it?

no

I know the mechanic was very concerned about flushing any metal debris out of the intercooler.[/quote]

it could however cause cylinder damage... i would be more concerned about losing a piston/liner than a fuel injector