User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2007, 01:00 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porchclimber
Even if it's a one piece anybody with a torch and a good eye can cut it out and then just replace it with a two piece.

I'd grind that thing into gear and drive as fast as I could get away from anybody that wanted to pull the trans to change a clutch brake.
I've removed a few clutch brakes using the torch method, and it sure as hell ain't fun with all that molten metal falling in my face.

It's also risky 'cause the input shaft seal is right there & if it gets too hot, then the trans will have to come out anyway! (Been lucky & didn't have that happen)

Since then, "i've used nothing but the 2 piece type, even when a trans is re installed after a clutch replacement or whatever, I put the 2 piece in anyway.

Sure saves a lot of cussin' later on.
Old 02-11-2007, 12:55 PM
Senior Board Member

quote="Splitshifter"]quote="Porchclimber"]Even if it's a one piece anybody with a torch and a good eye can cut it out and then just replace it with a two piece.

yeah, instead how about; anyone that's proficient with a cutting torch, i've seen plenty of guys "with a torch and a good eye" that were able to sucessfully destory the clutch shaft, release bearing, or their own flesh =)

I'd grind that thing into gear and drive as fast as I could get away from anybody that wanted to pull the trans to change a clutch brake.[/quote]

that's a fairly dramatic method of saying "no, i'll opt for the 2-piece clutch brake instead"

I've removed a few clutch brakes using the torch method, and it sure as hell ain't fun with all that molten metal falling in my face.

i've never had issues with the metal/slag, it's the burning/smoking/dripping globs of grease that ruins all my fun

It's also risky 'cause the input shaft seal is right there & if it gets too hot, then the trans will have to come out anyway! (Been lucky & didn't have that happen)

why would you be heating up the input bearing retainer?... never had that problem before either

Since then, "i've used nothing but the 2 piece type, even when a trans is re installed after a clutch replacement or whatever, I put the 2 piece in anyway.

HUH? you're pulling my leg, right?!?

you are aware that the current 1-piece brakes are torque limiting brakes that "break-free" when the rotational load is too great?

i.e. - the brake slips internally when the clutch pedal is held to the floor while the vehicle is moving with trans in gear... greatly reducing the chance of brake destruction

why would you take that feature away from the owner to make your job easier (maybe) down the road?

I completely disagree with that recommendation IMO

Sure saves a lot of cussin' later on.[/quote

not for the owner; who will now have to replace that brake when his driver slips up once or twice.

from my experiences; a properly maintained/adjusted clutch assembly accompanied by a torque limiting brake will probably never require a brake be replaced until the clutch is worn out... at least, that's what i see around here... good luck with that sales pitch
Old 02-11-2007, 01:27 PM
Senior Board Member

bobh wrote:
Quote:

you are aware that the current 1-piece brakes are torque limiting brakes that "break-free" when the rotational load is too great?

i.e. - the brake slips internally when the clutch pedal is held to the floor while the vehicle is moving with trans in gear... greatly reducing the chance of brake destruction

why would you take that feature away from the owner to make your job easier (maybe) down the road?

not for the owner; who will now have to replace that brake when his driver slips up once or twice.

from my experiences; a properly maintained/adjusted clutch assembly accompanied by a torque limiting brake will probably never require a brake be replaced until the clutch is worn out... at least, that's what i see around here... good luck with that sales pitch
Not a sales pitch.

This was my own fleet of dump trucks I'm referring to.

A couple guys would tear up the torque limiting clutch brakes just as readily as any others, so it was a case of saving the owner (me) from cussing when I had to go under there & replace the S.O.B.
Old 02-11-2007, 01:32 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitshifter
bobh wrote:
Quote:

Not a sales pitch.

This was my own fleet of dump trucks I'm referring to.

A couple guys would tear up the torque limiting clutch brakes just as readily as any others, so it was a case of saving the owner (me) from cussing when I had to go under there & replace the S.O.B.
understood.

your previous post seemed to have influenced that everyone should request a 2-piece brake at clutch replacement... which is wrong in most situations... and will just get you a lot of funny looks from the techs in the service bay
Old 02-11-2007, 04:26 PM

[quote="bob h"]
[b]

So that's what "torque limiting clutch brake" means/does.
I saw it on my spec. sheet, but was curious about the "torque limiting function"
Makes sense now.

I'll bet alot of drivers and truck owners are not aware of some of the developments in the newer trucks today.

Question: Is it ok to over ajust the clutch, so the time between ajustments is extended ?
Old 02-11-2007, 04:47 PM
Senior Board Member

[quote="Bobby"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob h
[b]

So that's what "torque limiting clutch brake" means/does.
I saw it on my spec. sheet, but was curious about the "torque limiting function"
Makes sense now.

I'll bet alot of drivers and truck owners are not aware of some of the developments in the newer trucks today.

Question: Is it ok to over ajust the clutch, so the time between ajustments is extended ?
less than 12.4 mm of release travel can cause clutch drag, not worth the risk IMO

you also cannot "choose" your pedal free travel when resetting a solo clutch... whatever the proper internal adjustment leaves is what you get