User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2006, 04:15 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyB
What bothers me about this is that he's on his 3rd dryer. That's why I went looking elswhere for the problem.
agreed... that's why i asked about "oil passing" or blow-by.
Old 12-23-2006, 04:17 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tumbo1
no water comes out i checked the tanks and th valves on the tanks they look in good shape and i could hear no leaking the truck is an o4 so everything is in good shape yet i called freightliner and can buy the whole air dryer system for 287 so i am picking it up today and putting it in i will post once i am done thanks for all the help
let us know!!!

this is one of those ones i'd love to get my hands on ;0)

...should be a simple fix.
Old 12-24-2006, 03:15 AM

just finished the install not bad for 287 dollars kit came with new valve the one that goes by the air tank new hardware new cartridge and of course the new block were all this screws into took about 1 1/2 hours and now it all works perfect the valve on the front of the old block was toast looked like it was blown out compared to the new one thanks for all the help guys really appreciate it.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:16 PM
Rookie
Default Air dryer driving the driver nuts...

I have a similar problem with a 02 Mack Granite. If and when the dryer works properly, it sneezes every 15 seconds. Most of the time, it is simply blowing thru the dryer. Since the system feeds off the manifold, it reduces my manifold pressure by about 5 to 10 lbs, therefore reducing my power. Occasionally during blow-thru, it will sneeze and suddenly my manifold pressure rises. Also the airdryer will blow through or sneeze no matter the air tank pressures. The shop cant figure out the problem. Almost every part from the compressor to the dryer has been replaced. A couple weeks ago after putting up with endless blowthrough and no manifold pressure, I had the dryer filter replaced. There was no blowthrough for 2 days, but it sneezed every 15 seconds like clockwork. If you bleed the tanks, there is no residue expelled. I had the airdryer bypassed last year and there was no problems and manifold pressure was normal. But, the water buildup in the tanks was impossible to keep up with and freezeup became a problem come winter, so the bypass was removed. Could use some good advise!
Old 10-13-2009, 09:24 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRANITE957 View Post
I have a similar problem with a 02 Mack Granite. If and when the dryer works properly, it sneezes every 15 seconds. Most of the time, it is simply blowing thru the dryer. Since the system feeds off the manifold, it reduces my manifold pressure by about 5 to 10 lbs, therefore reducing my power. Occasionally during blow-thru, it will sneeze and suddenly my manifold pressure rises. Also the airdryer will blow through or sneeze no matter the air tank pressures. The shop cant figure out the problem. Almost every part from the compressor to the dryer has been replaced. A couple weeks ago after putting up with endless blowthrough and no manifold pressure, I had the dryer filter replaced. There was no blowthrough for 2 days, but it sneezed every 15 seconds like clockwork. If you bleed the tanks, there is no residue expelled. I had the airdryer bypassed last year and there was no problems and manifold pressure was normal. But, the water buildup in the tanks was impossible to keep up with and freezeup became a problem come winter, so the bypass was removed. Could use some good advise!
I have the same problem was told purge valve. replaced that. 69.00 did nothing to change the purging every 7- 15 seconds. put rebuilt compressor. still no different. put entire bendix dryer on. no difference. no one can tell me how to fix. got tired long ago paying for process of elimination fixe's
Old 10-14-2009, 03:07 PM
Rookie
Default What he said...

Tumbo1 wrote in this thread the he "just finished the install not bad for 287 dollars kit came with new valve the one that goes by the air tank new hardware new cartridge and of course the new block were all this screws into took about 1 1/2 hours and now it all works perfect the valve on the front of the old block was toast looked like it was blown out compared to the new one thanks for all the help guys really appreciate it. " He went over his system repeatedly, but didnt discover the "blown out valve on the front of the old block" until he installed the kit. I think a better explanation of this discovery would be worth looking into with my scenario. Thoughts, experiences, and knowlege shared will be appreciated...
Old 10-16-2009, 05:22 PM
Rookie
Default Not a quitter...

The Mack dealership/shop said they never heard of such a problem. The company shop that works on this Granite, the mechanics, are at their wits end. They are a hard working bunch but not overly experienced. Typical R&R and PM mechs. You would think that these air dryer problems and resolutions would be documented with as many drivers who seem to share the same problem. I am the type of driver who will drive on old 220, so long as its giving me all it got. An engine (of any size) that isnt performing as it should simply pisses me off. Guess I will keep digging. Let you all know how it goes. Meantime, should anyone have anything to share on the matter...LET ME KNOW. Thanx - Larry