User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2006, 01:08 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default POS DD500

Why does everyone love these Detroits? My 97 FL Classic has one (500hp) with a 10spd. 4.7 miles per gallon is average. Have a friend with a 400 N14 that can blow my doors off up a hill and get 6.5 mpg doing it. 100K on an inframe o/h, 1 gal. of oil per 2,000 miles, pushes the dipstick 2 inches out of the tube. (Yes, the draft tube is clear) Oh, but it is operating normally. Thats more oil than usual, but everyone I've taken it to says its running normally.
Old 12-07-2006, 01:33 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Your friend probably has a 13 speed
Ten speeds, unless you're on the Flats, when you're climbing you're either over-revving or Lugging.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:41 AM
Board Regular

His is a 10 as well. Dont know the rears, tho. I can smoke him after a while on the flat ground, that would explain him being faster on the hills. I guess. This Detroit just doesnt seem right to me. Maybe it is.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:48 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: POS DD500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit102
Why does everyone love these Detroits? My 97 FL Classic has one (500hp) with a 10spd. 4.7 miles per gallon is average. Have a friend with a 400 N14 that can blow my doors off up a hill and get 6.5 mpg doing it. 100K on an inframe o/h, 1 gal. of oil per 2,000 miles, pushes the dipstick 2 inches out of the tube. (Yes, the draft tube is clear) Oh, but it is operating normally. Thats more oil than usual, but everyone I've taken it to says its running normally.
#1... everybody doesn't love them. I loved them when I worked as a tech at the dealer.

The s60s that I saw "doing well" were 430s and 470s, they made decent power and excellent fuel mileage. Any 500s I worked with were fuel pigs, power complaints were fewer with the 5 though.

If you are using a gallon per 2000.... your rings probably didn't seat from the in-frame. Is there slober (black, oily substance) beneath your exhaust manifold or between the exhaust manifold sections?
Old 12-07-2006, 01:33 PM

Might want to check your intercooler for leaks. That seems to be the #1 cause of poor performance with detroits in Frieghtliner. How's your boost pressure looking under load??
Old 12-12-2006, 02:43 PM
Board Regular

It does, It does! It slobbers oil out the exhaus pipe coming off the turbocharger, down the frame, onto the leafsprings and down onto the ground while idling. Nasty darn Detroit. And you should see her smoke when you leave a parking lot after idling at 1000rpm for a couple of hours. Move over James Bond!!!

#1... everybody doesn't love them. I loved them when I worked as a tech at the dealer.

The s60s that I saw "doing well" were 430s and 470s, they made decent power and excellent fuel mileage. Any 500s I worked with were fuel pigs, power complaints were fewer with the 5 though.

If you are using a gallon per 2000.... your rings probably didn't seat from the in-frame. Is there slober (black, oily substance) beneath your exhaust manifold or between the exhaust manifold sections?[/quote]
Old 12-12-2006, 04:04 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
It does, It does! It slobbers oil out the exhaus pipe coming off the turbocharger, down the frame, onto the leafsprings and down onto the ground while idling. Nasty darn Detroit. And you should see her smoke when you leave a parking lot after idling at 1000rpm for a couple of hours. Move over James Bond!!!

If you are using a gallon per 2000.... your rings probably didn't seat from the in-frame. Is there slober (black, oily substance) beneath your exhaust manifold or between the exhaust manifold sections?
[/quote]

are you sure it's oil? ... wipe it off the block with your fingers and then rub them together, and then pull your fingers apart... is it sticky??? or smooth and slippery? sticky indicates fuel, slippery is oil.

I would expect that you're gonna pull the pistons to hone the glazed cylinders. IMO.

some dealers will do a hard-ass dyno run to try and brake glaze, but it usually doesn't work .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .. as i've said before --- drive it like you hate it... or, it won't break in properly!
Old 12-13-2006, 01:52 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpersons
Might want to check your intercooler for leaks. That seems to be the #1 cause of poor performance with detroits in Frieghtliner. How's your boost pressure looking under load??
Not sure about my manifold pressure. I dont have a mash meter in this truck. Pyro doesnt work either. (Big surprise there, huh?)
Old 12-13-2006, 10:05 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
[/quote]

make sure the oil leak don't come from the turbo oil supply line, or any source other than the mainfold itself... any decent ddc tech will be able to guide you from there...

SO, is it oil or fuel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yeah, I figured it was oil
Old 12-16-2006, 02:02 AM
Board Regular
Default yippee!!!

I'm gonna run this Detroit till it does something really stupid. Then I'm gonna buy a big boat, cause I already got the anchor. Found and bought a wreched FL Classic with an ISX @ 525hp and an 18 spd. trans. Think it'll be an easy swap??? Anyhow, once I get the cummins in here, I'll be showin those CAT/Pete guys a thing or two!!!!