User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2006, 05:45 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Dump body on a tractor?

So I am thinking about buying a dump truck. Prices are so high! Have you guys any advice or cautions about putting a dumpbody on a tractor (trailer-tractor)? Any suspension differences, etc. ?
Thanks!
Old 10-10-2006, 01:51 AM
Senior Board Member

I do not advise this. One, most tractors are single frame. Most factory built dump trucks are double frame. Two. the front springs aren't rated for the additional weight. Three, the rear suspensions usually aren't as heavy. Four, the transmission and gear ratios are probably higher than you would want. Take it for what's worth. That is just my opinion.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:21 PM
Rookie

Thank you! You've saved me much trouble.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:17 AM
Rookie

I agree that unless its a double frame and price is really really right dont bother converting. Involves lots of things besides just frame though....length iussues, bracketry ,hydraulics, controls and so forth.and then to have someone compotent enough to do the install..my 2 cents
Old 10-12-2006, 03:30 AM

I have owned a converted tractor, and helped spec out trucks for others. There are lots of converted dumps in this area.

Most trucks have a strong enough frame. Peterbilt is the one frame that usually is NOT strong enough, and will need to be doubled.

International and KW usually have a very good frame for using as a dump.

A lot of the dump bodies have a mini-frame built into them that attaches to your frame and helps reinforce it.

You do want to look carefully and find a truck with the right engine, trans, and rear ratio. The suspension is important also. If it is very hilly where you are then you may not want to use an air ride, or convert it to where there is an air suspension ride height valve on each side of the axle to keep the lean factor down.

Another good idea is to have bump stops between the frame and axles, then drop the air suspension when dumping to keep the tip-over factor down.

Ox Bodies in S.C. will tell you if your frame is strong enough if you give them a call. They do this conversion every day, and know a lot about what they are doing.

If you strip your frame and get ready for the conversion yourself, you can drive down there in the morning and leave with a new dump body that evening. Darn good bodies too.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:07 AM

Been doing it a while,true most road trucks are overpowered and geared too high,big power in the dirt combined with tall gears usually means breakage, If you are not hauling material where light weight is a concern any dump body mfg./installer can glove or sleeve your frame,99% of the dumps out there are not factory dump chassis but converted road trucks, I look for factory day cabs 230" wheelbase 400 hp is nice air ride sucks in the dirt Hendrickson extended leaf or the new AR works best,and I only buy Pete's. :lol:
Old 10-30-2006, 04:01 PM
Board Regular
Default Re: Dump body on a tractor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASEPETER
So I am thinking about buying a dump truck. Prices are so high! Have you guys any advice or cautions about putting a dumpbody on a tractor (trailer-tractor)? Any suspension differences, etc. ?
Thanks!
If you don't mind me asking what part of the world are you in?

I know of a guy in MD that we buy trucks from that can get you a good deal on a tri axle Sterling they are ugly but would do the job.