User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2006, 08:31 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Autoshift durability?

Should I be wary of buying a used truck with an autoshift because of repair costs? I'm looking at a 2000 Freightliner with about 700k miles on the truck and 100k on an overhauled engine.

A driver told me he'd definitely order autoshift with any new truck he'd buy but was worried about the inevitable cost to replace/repair it in a used one. To replace a standard clutch is, well, pretty standard. What about an autoshift?

Thanks
Old 10-05-2006, 11:25 PM
Rookie

i would think that an autoshift would outlast a manual because they hit every shift every time no grinding imho
Old 10-06-2006, 02:54 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

I believe an autoshift also has a pretty standard clutch. And, while I could be wrong, I think it's air-servos that operate the shifting. I've heard of guys having autoshift trannies rebuilt for about $3,000. About the same as a manual shift. I would think it would be a little less dependant on just who was driving.

There's a bit more to a truck than new engine and autoshift. Check out the kingpins on the steer axle. Look at the fuel and water lines, including the heater lines. (Fuel lines do not have to have a leak to be wet. They start to "weep" when they get old.) Look at the power steering hoses. Especially, check where you have one hose or cable harness laying against a hose. How are the brakes shoes and drums.

Old 10-06-2006, 04:39 AM
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Those early autoshifts are just a manual transmission with an ECM, an electric shifter(it uses electric motors and jack-screws), and some extra wiring. The clutch is the same as any manual transmission. The cost to replace the clutch is the same as a manual transmission. If they try to charge you more, they're ripping you off.

Meritor made an competitor to the early autoshifts that had an air-operated shifter. I don't know what it was called, and I've never messed with one. Now Meritor has the Freedomline transmission, and it does have a unique clutch.