User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2006, 02:31 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

It depends on how good you are at managing your money. If you have a good healthy maintenance/emergency fund and you maintain the truck properly, then you could go for ever. If you're lousy with your money and don't take care of the truck then I would trade it in every three years on a new one.
A friend had a 96 FLD w/ CAT 435 1.6 million miles before an inframe. He took care of it, got it up to 2.2 mil before he died at the wheel.
Another had a 99 Century w/ Cummins N14 525 800,000 miles and it was completely trashed. Drove the heck out of it, didn't take care of it. The head gasket went, opened it up, everything was worn out. The king pins were worn out, rear suspension shot, on and on.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:45 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas
When a truck gets so old and ragged out that it stays in the shop all the time, that's when it has too many miles on it; whether it be 30'000, 300'000, or 3'000'000 for that matter. :wink:
When I bought my truck, the first 6 months were hell. It had 550,000 miles on it. Now it has about 850,000, and is reliable as hell. Go figure.
Old 09-22-2006, 09:15 AM

Our company fleet of daycabs are shot with 400,000 miles, falling apart.

Running long haul a Volvo ran like new, cleaner and less vibes than our daycabs with 1.8 million on it.

It's all in how they are treated.
Old 10-03-2006, 01:49 AM
Rookie

I just bought a 97' Freightliner w/ a Detroit 60 series with 945k on it. It was well maintained and runs great. Hasn't been rebuilt but the rod and main bearings were changed as PM item. I just put 3.5k miles on it w/ no noticable use of oil. It has some BS issues that you would expect out of truck that old but nothing major.

I heard ryder trucks are well maintained trucks and have heard good things about drivers who bought them.
Old 10-03-2006, 03:14 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodave
I just bought a 97' Freightliner w/ a Detroit 60 series with 945k on it. It was well maintained and runs great. Hasn't been rebuilt but the rod and main bearings were changed as PM item. I just put 3.5k miles on it w/ no noticable use of oil. It has some BS issues that you would expect out of truck that old but nothing major.

I heard ryder trucks are well maintained trucks and have heard good things about drivers who bought them.
Turbodave, did you ever run a blue intl pulling a 53 step?