Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Truck Driving Jobs: What About This Trucking Company? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company-15/)
-   -   Superior Carriers and Carry Transit (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company/30827-superior-carriers-carry-transit.html)

PonceDeLeon 03-01-2009 11:42 AM

Has Freight Picked Up? Or,

have I just gotten lucky? The last couple weeks have had me running like a maniac. A ten hour break to the minute and blast down the highway. Last week was over 3300 miles and 4 deliveries.

Anyone else notice a freight uptick?

Believe me I'm not complaining. Just wondering if it's been the luck of the draw, freight has really picked up, or if consignee's have depleted inventory so much that everything is needed yesterday?

What's been your experience?

Hicksie 03-01-2009 12:42 PM

Hey Ponce, Didnt you say you ran out of the Atlanta Term. I might be mistaken if so, Sry. I ask because I am trying to get my foot in the door and have talked to them once and waiting to call back. Said frieght was slow and to try back in march. So I was thinking about calling back mon. Im really hoping to come to work there. If you are not the Atlanta Guy opps my bad and I'll go back and read again till I get it right. And nice to see you are running hard and making The green:clap: Im out

pd 03-01-2009 01:46 PM

I don't believe Ponce runs out of Atlanta, but BHG and I do. As far as freight goes I'm getting a good week followed by a slow week. I'm delivering in Memphis today then headed for the barn, where I'll expect to sit for most of the week based on recent experience.

It sure can't hurt to call Ken to see what your prospects are. He's the dispatcher and certainly knows whether business can support another driver out of Atlanta. You'll eventually be speaking with Barry, the terminal manager, who is a real nice guy. He moved into that job just as I came on board with the company last May.

I came to Superior straight out of CDL school after reading Carlo's posts and deciding that this would be a great place for a first job, if you could get in the door. I took awhile for them to find an opening for me, but I believe I'm with a very good company. I'm just hoping freight continues to recover in the next few months, I went through a real slack period from November to January.

If you have any questions about running out of Atlanta I'll try to field them.

Phil

Hicksie 03-01-2009 02:36 PM

Thanks for the reply PD. I have my ap in and have talked to Barry already. Yeah he seems to be a super nice guy. I dont wanna bug the crap out of him but I do wanna Keep my name out there for him to remember. And it is nice to see that they are not like most crap companies and keep on hiring even if they dont have the loads. I am sure I will have some questions as I get closer to my goal, But untill frieght comes up im just going to call and keep checking in. One thing, What is the normal time out for the Atl. drivers. I dont mind being out, In fact it would be to my benifet to be out for a bit because im around 135 miles out from Atl. and home everyday or every other would suck. Again thanks for info and When I think of anything I will for sure shoot you a PM. Be safe out there. Chris

pd 03-01-2009 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hicksie (Post 440752)
What is the normal time out for the Atl. drivers. I don't mind being out, In fact it would be to my benefit to be out for a bit because im around 135 miles out from Atl. and home everyday or every other would suck.

When freight was good, say last September and October I was typically out up to two weeks at a time. Presently if I can stay out 7 or 8 days I'm thanking my lucky stars. I prefer to stay out in the system at least 2 weeks at a time but lately that hasn't worked out. The veteran drivers tell me they are out sometimes 4 weeks at a time, but it's their choice to stay out that long.

kentucky24 03-01-2009 07:59 PM

I am having very good luck in the system

Three good weeks in a role and freight seems to be on the upturn or so it seems where I have been. I stopped by Atlanta but not for a dispatch.

I have great luck out of

Memphis, Augusta, Greer

Leave out tomorrow again on a hot load after 1 day home pick up ST Louis to Augusta from what I have been told and seen things are starting to pick up a bit but maybe not all over just yet.

I heard you had a business get near Atlanta and are hiring a few real soon ...

kentucky24 03-01-2009 08:03 PM

Harley Pipe

If I knew your truck number I would have stopped over and said hi.. in AUGUSTA. the other day when I got there everyone had curtains pulled at 1030 pm So didnt want to work the parking lot to find you...

Cyinade told me you were there... before I arrived

Get my cell # from him give me a shout ...

harleypiper 03-01-2009 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kentucky24 (Post 440790)
Harley Pipe

If I knew your truck number I would have stopped over and said hi.. in AUGUSTA. the other day when I got there everyone had curtains pulled at 1030 pm So didnt want to work the parking lot to find you...

Cyinade told me you were there... before I arrived

Get my cell # from him give me a shout ...

I'll get it next time I head out. 3320 is my truck. We are going to be a little slow this week from what I heard so I'm going to take the week off.

Seems to be up and down with us lateley. We picked up a couple of new shippers but really hasn't kicked in. We supposedly hired 2 or 3 new drivers so it better kick in. I was running pretty good all last month so I'm up for a little R & R.

wsyrob 03-02-2009 01:23 AM

I got a High Point NC to Carlsbad Ca run last Wednesday so I have been running good through the weekend. Delivers Monday and they will probably head me to Pasadena Tx.

One thing my dispatcher told me to do is always call him if another terminals dispatcher deadheads me home. A couple of times they have had a load they were holding for someone else. Its supposed to be first in first out but politics happens. I have found if you want to stay out they will let you to a point. The layover pay and hotel costs needs to be less than the cost to deadhead home though.

harleypiper 03-02-2009 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wsyrob (Post 440828)
I got a High Point NC to Carlsbad Ca run last Wednesday so I have been running good through the weekend. Delivers Monday and they will probably head me to Pasadena Tx.

One thing my dispatcher told me to do is always call him if another terminals dispatcher deadheads me home. A couple of times they have had a load they were holding for someone else. Its supposed to be first in first out but politics happens. I have found if you want to stay out they will let you to a point. The layover pay and hotel costs needs to be less than the cost to deadhead home though.

There has only been a few times where I was able to stay out. For the most part, after I drop the dirty tank I'm sent to either NY. or ME.. I'm told they have route me back, I've yet to come across 1st in 1st out.