Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Truck Driving Jobs: What About This Trucking Company? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company-15/)
-   -   Superior Carriers and Carry Transit (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/truck-driving-jobs-what-about-trucking-company/30827-superior-carriers-carry-transit.html)

wsyrob 02-01-2010 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1catfish (Post 473938)
you know the cali. runs aren't at charlotte, your perch is in the highpoint window.

Naaah. Hang out too long there and you might wind up swapping out the 5 holer at Sherwin Williams. Tightening down that dome takes a while but then some drivers "don't do local work" Hmmmmm.

1catfish 02-01-2010 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wsyrob (Post 473980)
Naaah. Hang out too long there and you might wind up swapping out the 5 holer at Sherwin Williams. Tightening down that dome takes a while but then some drivers "don't do local work" Hmmmmm.

i'd rather do local work than road work anyday, i like being home with the family like a regular joe.:)

wsyrob 02-01-2010 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1catfish (Post 473989)
i'd rather do local work than road work anyday, i like being home with the family like a regular joe.:)

I like out and back runs with 2-3 sleeper berths. Gives me a break from the honey do lists. Can't make any money doing local work.

2009 was good for me.
I got more home time than a lot of OTR drivers:

2009 Totals

Days Home: 126
(got up and went to bed at home)

Partial days Home: 96
(left home to go out or got home)

Whole days out: 138

Road reset days: 5
(company paid hotel)

wsyrob 02-13-2010 08:52 PM

Whats up with Kingsport?

Was talking to a driver this week and he said they no longer pay layover on 34 hour resets away from home. That's just wrong!

1catfish 02-14-2010 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wsyrob (Post 475036)
Whats up with Kingsport?

Was talking to a driver this week and he said they no longer pay layover on 34 hour resets away from home. That's just wrong!

what's next hotels, idiling during hot or cold nights? can you say swifperior.:roll:

wsyrob 02-14-2010 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1catfish (Post 475084)
what's next hotels, idiling during hot or cold nights? can you say swifperior.:roll:

It's all terminal specific and I am glad for that. It appears that if a terminal is profitable the TM is allowed to run it as he sees fit. Terminals in decline have hard decisions to make. No managers want to lay off people or cut benifits. We won't be Swift like unless corporate starts micromanaging things from the top. That would be a mistake as there is always a disconnect between Corporate and the men in the field. Its like the government trying to run a war.

Phreddo 02-19-2010 02:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1catfish (Post 473989)

Oh, they really make you work for that "home every night." If by "home" you mean "unconscious in bed for 6 hours," then, yeah, you can be home every night :/

1catfish 02-20-2010 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phreddo (Post 475350)
Oh, they really make you work for that "home every night." If by "home" you mean "unconscious in bed for 6 hours," then, yeah, you can be home every night :/

curious, do you work for superior or you just speaking in general about most trucking companies? :confused:

1catfish 02-20-2010 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wsyrob (Post 473980)

are you talking about sherwin williams in morrow,ga.? thats a pretty good place to get unloaded. :thumbsup:

1catfish 02-20-2010 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wsyrob (Post 475087)
It's all terminal specific and I am glad for that. It appears that if a terminal is profitable the TM is allowed to run it as he sees fit. Terminals in decline have hard decisions to make. No managers want to lay off people or cut benifits. We won't be Swift like unless corporate starts micromanaging things from the top. That would be a mistake as there is always a disconnect between Corporate and the men in the field. Its like the government trying to run a war.

your right on that one, because if all the terminals were run like markham,ill. this would be a sad sad company, because markham sucks!:thumbsdown:

wsyrob 02-20-2010 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1catfish (Post 475474)
are you talking about sherwin williams in morrow,ga.? thats a pretty good place to get unloaded. :thumbsup:

No Greensboro. The High Point Terminal keeps a couple of dedicated 3-5 compartment tanks spotted over there all the time. They load them with different color spray paint and we run 5-7 a week up to Holland Mi. they are a pain in the butt to switch out because you have to spot an empty when you do it, put 12-20 placards on the tank and they never tighten anything down so you have to deal with 3-5 dome lids as well. Pain in the butt.

1catfish 02-21-2010 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wsyrob (Post 475487)
No Greensboro. The High Point Terminal keeps a couple of dedicated 3-5 compartment tanks spotted over there all the time. They load them with different color spray paint and we run 5-7 a week up to Holland Mi. they are a pain in the butt to switch out because you have to spot an empty when you do it, put 12-20 placards on the tank and they never tighten anything down so you have to deal with 3-5 dome lids as well. Pain in the butt.

thats alot of placards to keep up with on a trip that far, i try to carry 8 or 9 of those clear lenses you slide over the paper or plastic placards. i thought about making my own t-handle for all those dome lids.

1catfish 03-04-2010 01:08 PM

went through greer term. this week, seen they were giving the week long safety course. there was probably 12 guys standing in semi circle watching how to hook up a trk. trl. for a truck unload . they have a informitive(did i spell that right?) class. i thought i heard mike sharp was in bad health. best of luck mike. :thumbsup:

wsyrob 03-05-2010 01:01 AM

After about 3 weeks of making more money off layover pay than mileage they have decided to run the hell out of me this week. Going to run my 70 out and actually need the 34 this week.

1catfish 03-08-2010 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wsyrob (Post 476223)
After about 3 weeks of making more money off layover pay than mileage they have decided to run the hell out of me this week. Going to run my 70 out and actually need the 34 this week.

hammer downnn!:thumbsup: now that it's getting close to spring(somewhat) we can all make more money, without getting stuck in bad weather.:smokin:

1catfish 03-18-2010 01:28 PM

2003 international with 594,683 miles on it. yep, superior is on the lazer edge of technology. :roll:

Phreddo 03-21-2010 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1catfish (Post 475464)
curious, do you work for superior or you just speaking in general about most trucking companies? :confused:

Dunno if Superior does local, i'd assume they do it somewhere.
I was just referring to my current company, and sorta projecting that onto other companies.

wsyrob 03-21-2010 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phreddo (Post 477110)
Dunno if Superior does local, i'd assume they do it somewhere.
I was just referring to my current company, and sorta projecting that onto other companies.

There are some local guys at all the larger terminals. We have 4 in High Point. One guy has a desk in the dispatch office and handles everything that comes out of Ashland. He makes several a day over there weighing and spotting trailers and bringing loads back to the yard. There are a couple of other drivers who run only short out and back loads that are less popular with the OTR guys. Anything over 75 miles only pays mileage rather than hourly. There is one other guy who is strictly hourly.

I have subbed as a local driver. While still training I did 3 weeks of it. It is harder work and I find my pay suffers when I do it. Its Mon-Fri work averaging 50-60 hours but at my pay range that only grosses 600-800 a week. I average over 1000 a week OTR and still get most weekends at home and if running dedicated through the house during the week. One dedicated run to N Chicago and back that takes 30 hours driving and 2 10 hour breaks pays as much as a week of local work.

1catfish 03-25-2010 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wsyrob (Post 477116)
There are some local guys at all the larger terminals. We have 4 in High Point. One guy has a desk in the dispatch office and handles everything that comes out of Ashland. He makes several a day over there weighing and spotting trailers and bringing loads back to the yard. There are a couple of other drivers who run only short out and back loads that are less popular with the OTR guys. Anything over 75 miles only pays mileage rather than hourly. There is one other guy who is strictly hourly.

I have subbed as a local driver. While still training I did 3 weeks of it. It is harder work and I find my pay suffers when I do it. Its Mon-Fri work averaging 50-60 hours but at my pay range that only grosses 600-800 a week. I average over 1000 a week OTR and still get most weekends at home and if running dedicated through the house during the week. One dedicated run to N Chicago and back that takes 30 hours driving and 2 10 hour breaks pays as much as a week of local work.

man that sounds like the perfect job, i wish i could get on with superior!:bow:

wsyrob 03-26-2010 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1catfish (Post 477457)
man that sounds like the perfect job, i wish i could get on with superior!:bow:

Far from perfect but a hell of a lot better than most trucking jobs

pd 03-28-2010 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wsyrob (Post 477523)
Far from perfect but a hell of a lot better than most trucking jobs

I've been onboard with Superior for about a year and a half and I have to agree with you Rob, I don't think I could have picked a better company to start with. And right now, I don't see a better place to go, so I think I'll stick around for awhile longer.

BHG0069 03-28-2010 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pd (Post 477630)
I've been onboard with Superior for about a year and a half and I have to agree with you Rob, I don't think I could have picked a better company to start with. And right now, I don't see a better place to go, so I think I'll stick around for awhile longer.

Trust me friend, there aren't any solid company's looking for drivers at the moment.

Plus with Superior (in Atlanta) you can play local driver for a few days if need be and get that outta your blood rather quickly. They pay us road drivers a lower pay rate than the local guys for a reason.

Superior doesn't bother or harass me unless I mess up with a log or have a little heel. I don't like being treated like a child and so far, (over 2 years) no one has done that here.

I do have a greener pasture in mind, in the near future. But thats only because I want to be home every night and off Sat and Sun with good pay. I've earned it. =)

wsyrob 03-29-2010 09:50 PM

Its picking up. I had a new driver ride with me today for a few hours while his trainer was at the Dr. He was at the training center last week. Jack told the class Karns City was turning down 15 loads a week.

1catfish 03-30-2010 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wsyrob (Post 477793)
Its picking up. I had a new driver ride with me today for a few hours while his trainer was at the Dr. He was at the training center last week. Jack told the class Karns City was turning down 15 loads a week.

what did you think he would say in front of a bunch of drivers that just got hired on. he's management.:roll:they can have all the karn city they want. :thumbsdown:

1catfish 04-11-2010 01:39 AM

i know superior is not the high cpm type company like the other guys, but don't you think they've been around long enough to been have seen in a trucking publication. showing million mile drivers or drivers of the month or driver of the year. just asking.:roll:

wsyrob 04-11-2010 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1catfish (Post 478543)
i know superior is not the high cpm type company like the other guys, but don't you think they've been around long enough to been have seen in a trucking publication. showing million mile drivers or drivers of the month or driver of the year. just asking.:roll:

You mean those free rags they give away at the truck stops? They only write articles on companies who advertise in them. Turnover is low enough at Superior they don't need to advertise in them.

1catfish 04-11-2010 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wsyrob (Post 478575)
You mean those free rags they give away at the truck stops? They only write articles on companies who advertise in them. Turnover is low enough at Superior they don't need to advertise in them.

your response was predictable, let's think out of the box. so your saying since turn over is low that they don't need to have a some type of driver appreciation type programs. say driver of the month or year, or million mile drivers if there is any, o thats right they have such a low turnover there's got to be dozen of old timer's.:roll3: like i stated all you got from the previous post was free rags, typical lifer.:smokin:

wsyrob 04-11-2010 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1catfish (Post 478587)
your response was predictable, let's think out of the box. so your saying since turn over is low that they don't need to have a some type of driver appreciation type programs. say driver of the month or year, or million mile drivers if there is any, o thats right they have such a low turnover there's got to be dozen of old timer's.:roll3: like i stated all you got from the previous post was free rags, typical lifer.:smokin:

LoL. Lifer I am not. This is a second career for me. Only been driving about 2.5 years. I expect to drive maybe 7-8 more years and then retire. I worked for the YMCA for 28 years. Believe me they are really into all that touchy feely employee appreciation bull *****.

Pay me a decent wage, get me home when I ask, don't make me sit without getting paid and don't micromanage me. That's all I ask. Superior recognises people every time the corporate newsletter comes out.

It's not a bed of roses out here but this company stacks up pretty well. Perfect?...No way but better than most.

1catfish 04-19-2010 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pd (Post 477630)

as long as you can hold the steering wheel and not roll over, you'll have a job with the big blue.:bow:

wsyrob 04-19-2010 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1catfish (Post 479310)
as long as you can hold the steering wheel and not roll over, you'll have a job with the big blue.:bow:

Watch out for CSA 2010! I bet we see some drivers get canned once that comes online.

geargrinder 04-20-2010 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wsyrob (Post 478575)

A while back I saw Superior advertising in some of the free rags. I think the headers was something like "Got Benefits?" Recently turnover has spiked quite a bit.

geargrinder 04-20-2010 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wsyrob (Post 479332)
Watch out for CSA 2010! I bet we see some drivers get canned once that comes online.

It is now CSA 2011

BHG0069 04-20-2010 08:58 PM

Just turned in my two week notice today. Got a job hauling gasoline in ATL area.

Have nothing bad to say about Superior on this end. They have been nothing but good to me. I got along well with both the dispatchers and TM and never really had a problem with anyone while working here.

Never in my 2 1/2 years here did I miss a schedued home date. Never did anyone complain about how much time I took off, if I want 3 or 4 days off, then I tell them and it happens. Never did I have to wait days to get loaded (after 15 hrs you are on the clock for 8). When the truck breaks down you are on the clock until you are in a hotel room, then you get paid to sit in the hotel after 15hrs. If the shipper or consignee screwed around you are on the clock after 2hrs, until they stop screwing around (I've been on the clock for 27hrs once). I got paid 10 dollars for every night I slept in the truck (peanuts add up). You basically get paid for everythig you do here.

The company is not perfect and its still a job at the end of the day. But personally I hate OTR driving and cannot do it anymore. Even with the majority of weekends off, it still isnt enough for me. I like to be home every night period.

If you like OTR driving then Superior Carriers would be a good choice in in my opinion. They are really not a bad company to drive for.

1catfish 04-25-2010 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BHG0069 (Post 479368)
Just turned in my two week notice today. Got a job hauling gasoline in ATL area.

Have nothing bad to say about Superior on this end. They have been nothing but good to me. I got along well with both the dispatchers and TM and never really had a problem with anyone while working here.

Never in my 2 1/2 years here did I miss a schedued home date. Never did anyone complain about how much time I took off, if I want 3 or 4 days off, then I tell them and it happens. Never did I have to wait days to get loaded (after 15 hrs you are on the clock for 8). When the truck breaks down you are on the clock until you are in a hotel room, then you get paid to sit in the hotel after 15hrs. If the shipper or consignee screwed around you are on the clock after 2hrs, until they stop screwing around (I've been on the clock for 27hrs once). I got paid 10 dollars for every night I slept in the truck (peanuts add up). You basically get paid for everythig you do here.

The company is not perfect and its still a job at the end of the day. But personally I hate OTR driving and cannot do it anymore. Even with the majority of weekends off, it still isnt enough for me. I like to be home every night period.

If you like OTR driving then Superior Carriers would be a good choice in in my opinion. They are really not a bad company to drive for.

good luck with your new indever, i never liked going in and out of atlanta, that place is like a warzone sometimes. have you already got your load cards, or do you have to ride with someone till you get carded in all the loading facilities,(been there got the t-shirt).any way good luck stay safe!:thumbsup:

BHG0069 04-28-2010 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1catfish (Post 479519)
good luck with your new indever, i never liked going in and out of atlanta, that place is like a warzone sometimes. have you already got your load cards, or do you have to ride with someone till you get carded in all the loading facilities,(been there got the t-shirt).any way good luck stay safe!:thumbsup:

Thanks buddy! Hope things work out for you too.

1catfish 04-28-2010 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BHG0069 (Post 479736)
Thanks buddy! Hope things work out for you too.

you know, that is one word i hate more than any other. buddy, my dispatcher seems to use that name alot, buddy. the only time it is used is to belittle or dismis somebody. i'd rather you call me an s.o.b. or a no good rotten #%&*+$@. thanks.:roll3:

Orangetxguy 04-28-2010 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1catfish (Post 479775)
you know, that is one word i hate more than any other. buddy, my dispatcher seems to use that name alot, buddy. the only time it is used is to belittle or dismis somebody. i'd rather you call me an s.o.b. or a no good rotten #%&*+$@. thanks.:roll3:

:clap: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl::lol2:

What a coincidence!!! MY terminal manager and dispatcher...as well as several of the "Corporate" rats.....have those very thoughts of me!! Only...they do not say so to me directly...but you can see it in their faces!! I think they probably use the term..."What a Miserable S. O. B.!!!"

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

My MOTO is..."GIVE NO QUARTER!!!"

BHG0069 04-28-2010 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1catfish (Post 479775)

Shouldn't you be out on a ledge somewhere?

BHG0069 05-06-2010 02:45 AM

Looks like things have changed for the good. One of the local drivers quit last Friday, so I'm the new local guy at Superior. The only reason I wanted to leave was because I just couldn't take OTR anymore and there wasn't a local spot open.

I'm pretty happy because I didn't wanna leave a good company. I also wasn't too happy about having to work nights and weekends and holidays hauling gasoline, but I was willing to do it just to get off the road haha.

Get to sleep in my bed everynight, get weekends off and they are very flexable if I have somethin to do and need a day or two off, or need to leave early. Yep, I'm a happy camper =)

wsyrob 05-06-2010 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BHG0069 (Post 480381)
Looks like things have changed for the good. One of the local drivers quit last Friday, so I'm the new local guy at Superior. The only reason I wanted to leave was because I just couldn't take OTR anymore and there wasn't a local spot open.

I'm pretty happy because I didn't wanna leave a good company. I also wasn't too happy about having to work nights and weekends and holidays hauling gasoline, but I was willing to do it just to get off the road haha.

Get to sleep in my bed everynight, get weekends off and they are very flexable if I have somethin to do and need a day or two off, or need to leave early. Yep, I'm a happy camper =)

Congrats. I was at the Atlanta terminal yesterday for about 30 minutes. Just long enough to drop a tank and bobtail over to Stepan to grab a spotted one.