User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2005, 07:06 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default US Xpress or Crete???

I was supose to have Orint. @ USX next Monday ( 01-24) but cancelled it due to the fact that I found out I CAN get on with Crete (if they will have me) I have everything they require as for as a new grad. goes. Did'nt want to make the wrong move starting out. so my question is : which one should I go with: USX: terminal appox. 5 mi from home 20 and can run OTR or SE regional. or Crete(if they offer) : terminal appox. 70 mi. away and can run OTR or SE regional. ??? I really don't think that being a driver, that 65 mi. should be that a big thing I really want to make the right move here and do it right the first time. I know that if I chose wrong I think I could still go with the loser. (Bad choise of words) Well maybe not as whoever gets me will be a "winner" as that they will get a good honest MATURE person that can do the job the way they want it. Don't mean to sound cocky..... well maybe I do :twisted: but from what I have seen (at school) ... God help this industry!!! Dang it!! I took a big left turn on this one. Back to the orgional topic.(Can I get booted for hi-jacking my own thread . What say you all?? I'm afraid to ask for another sign from above as I have enough cats as it is and I think at times He has a sense(sp) of humor.
Old 01-16-2005, 07:45 PM
Senior Board Member

Personally I would go with Crete, though the learning curve is going to be a lot higher there.

The main reason is that US Xpress is all auto shift trans, which I have no problem with, but could hurt a new driver on their next job if it is a manual.

If you do go to Crete be sure to fully pick your trainers brain about how to get the most miles with their dispatch system.
Old 01-16-2005, 08:53 PM
Rookie
Default Ok

Since you are new and need training I would definitely say to not go with Crete. I have been with Crete now for 3 years and they are for sure not a training company. Crete is a company that one can do well with when someone has experience. Just hate for you to go in and get frustrated and quit and hate trucking.
Old 01-16-2005, 11:24 PM
Senior Board Member

Thanks guys. I never really thought about the company being "better for a rookie" than the other. I just assumed that one was the same as the other as for as the learning curve goes. ops: So your saying that USX is better set up to train newbies like me and after I get a few behind me and better understand the industry then Creat would be a good way to go in the long run?
THIS is why I come here! I would have never known 8)
Old 01-17-2005, 01:52 AM
Rookie
Default Re: Ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky
Since you are new and need training I would definitely say to not go with Crete. I have been with Crete now for 3 years and they are for sure not a training company. Crete is a company that one can do well with when someone has experience. Just hate for you to go in and get frustrated and quit and hate trucking.
I need to hear more about this. I'm scheduled to start at Crete the week of Feb 7, provided a trainer becomes available.

I graduated from a PTDI school, above 95% grades. I also went through Schneider National Academy, satisfactory is all respects. I spent two weeks with a Schneider Training Engineer aboard his Tanker, whereupon I resigned due to risk of chemical exposure. I observed too many people who refused to follow safety regs.

I then applied at Crete Carrier because they seem to be held in high regard by those who work there, and they have low turnover numbers.

So, please tell me why you think I won't learn as much there as elsewhere. "On the Road" is On the Road, isn't it? Provided the company treats you fairly and supports you well, what's the problem?

Thanks,

--Charlie Henderson
Old 01-17-2005, 02:32 AM
Senior Board Member

Read through THIS LINK . Lucky went into great detail the problems drivers and new drivers in particular have with Crete.

Basically it boils down to Cretes dispatch system which is a lot different than most companies use.
Old 01-17-2005, 02:51 AM
Rookie
Default Ok

Mrkite. It is not impossible to do well at Crete if one is a newbie. The whole thing comes down to what you said and that is "support". Uturn was good enough to place the link to what I went into greater detail before. Please go and read and hopefully anyone else also so that it would be understood.

Crete is from what I have experienced since I have been with them a better than average OTR company if someone comes over that is already experienced. There are many good "starter" companies out there for newbies that are set up for new blood to come into the industry. Specifically a Driver Manager that one can daily keep in contact with and help and guide until they are ready to be let loose, so to speak. These people have seen about everything and are able to more than likely know about all the things that pop up every day.

After a certain amount of experience it gets easier and easier and the confidence raises and the comfort level becomes bearable. After a time one learns what is out there and what one prefers to do. Then it is easier to find a company that can fit into what ever one is looking for to continue ones career satisfactory. The main thing to do is stay and not jump around. If you do jump around then you will find that carriers will pass on you and eventually fail and that does no one good. Good luck.
Old 01-17-2005, 03:17 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uturn2001
Read through THIS LINK . Lucky went into great detail the problems drivers and new drivers in particular have with Crete.

Basically it boils down to Cretes dispatch system which is a lot different than most companies use.
Ah, thanks. That helps a bit.

Here's a question: How long does a guy have to drive at Crete before he can become a Trainer? Any other input about the Trainer program? How much do they make and how do they make it?

I find it helps to understand the trainer's motivation and incentives, too. I'll be spending 8 weeks with him....

--Charlie Henderson
Old 01-17-2005, 07:35 PM
Senior Board Member

You have to have at least one year of over the road experience and a good driving record to become a trainer with Crete. Noel Stanley is the Director of Driver Development and reviews the applications as well as Safety to determine who will become a trainer.

I think Crete is a good company to start with. The training program is very thorough and you will NEVER be released on your own if the Safety Department, trainer AND Noel feel you might need some more training. The new guys to me have a better advantage then the driver who doesn't go out with a trainer. They have someone there who will explain things in a way that the newbie will understand. We don't even have you go through driver orientation until after you complete the 8 weeks because that way you understand what is being said. A drivers success depends on how comfortable they are when they are out their by themselves. If they feel that no one cares, then there will be a higher level of anxiety. Where we don't hold drivers hands and tell them what they are to do every minute of the day, some drivers have problems.

I have been told by a lot of experienced drivers that we are a lot different then alot of carriers. When I first started they required a driver with less then 2 years go with a trainer. Try and sell that one Batboy! But it assured that the driver would be comfortable and understand what we do.

Go with Crete. You will be alot happier and if you have any questions or concerns, either talk with some drivers or call Noel at 1-800-998-9980 ext 8777.
Old 01-17-2005, 08:42 PM
Rookie

Thanks, fellas. I appreciate your responses.

I'm presently waiting for Mr. Stanley to contact me and schedule the Physical and Drug Screen in Allentown.

The more I hear about Crete, the more I like it. And I figure 8 weeks with a Trainer ought to get me a good, solid foundation to build on, the Crete way. If I'm not ready, my trainer will know. Hopefully!

Thanks again.

Oh, while I'm at it - is there any other online source of info on Crete? A driver's hangout like pumpkindriver.com or anything like that?

Cheers,

--coh