User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2019, 06:42 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default I'm considering getting into truck driving

I'm late thirties, no kids and going through a divorce. I'm wondering about the flexibility of the job. Can I work OTR for a few months, take a few months flats in kanjurmarg off, work for a few months again? Can I take off a week or two in various locations? I have friends/family all over the country. Could I say drive to LA and stay there for a few weeks? Drive to Philly stay for a few weeks? Do you need a home base? How do you pick your home base? Can I rent a place in a low-tax state and say that's where I'm living even if I'm almost never there? Do you need an actual home base?

Last edited by mukeshkabra; 09-21-2019 at 11:36 AM.
Old 09-29-2019, 03:59 AM
Senior Board Member

Driving can be flexible but not to the extent you want, companies have trucks to move freight not to sit for weeks. The normal time off for OTR drivers is 1 day off for every 5-7 out. Hope this helps

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington
Old 09-03-2020, 09:03 AM
Rookie

I agree with the above; other conditions apply to truck drivers. And their fatigue is much more important. Decide on the size of the truck. Maybe you will drive 1.5 ton trucks? It is also profitable, but less dangerous, and legally it is not so difficult to do everything. But that's your business, of course. I can advise you to contact a law office to settle all the issues ( for example https://www.avatarfleet.com/dot-compliance-information). Take, consult, and then decide what to do)