Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2004, 03:26 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Knight Transportation

I heard some information from someone on the forum that I should look to Knight Transportation for regional work. :roll: :roll: After I gain some six months to a year of otr I will be looking to either stay with the company I train with or go elsewhere to do regional work. I want to do southern regional. I would like to know what anybody can tell me about Knight Transportation. I heard they have a lot of miles available and that their equptment is good to go. Whatever opinion there are out there would would sure enough be apreciated. Go safely; see you on the big road :rock:
Old 10-07-2004, 01:43 AM
Rookie

I visited their website (Knight Transportation) and I can't find their rate of pay, or hardly any info on them.
So I voted "maybe"
My brother is looking right now for a good Regional position and I am trying to help him out while he's out on the road.
He has 5 or 6 yrs exp. and lives in California, any leads for me to check out feel free to PM me.
I don't want to butt in to this post...LOL
Old 10-08-2004, 06:26 PM
Rookie

I know out here on the west coast Knight offers four different type of runs....First off is 11 western states, second is a Four-on, Four-off run, Third is a casual run(Basically its a part-time position with no benefits), and last but not least Teams where you run all 48-states...I know this dosent help you out seeing you live in Penn. but thats what info I know of them...Their a pretty descent company they have a sliding payscale:

1. Under 500 miles-.34$
2.500-2500-.33$
3.2500 and over-.32$
Alot of home time though being their a short haul regional carrier. I also know the they have a Reefer division now.....

As for CATEYES you should have your brother look into KKW out of Pomona, CA. Their a short-haul regional carrier as well and their a really good company to work for they take care of their drivers and start off at .32$per mile........Hope this helps both of you out......
Old 10-09-2004, 04:59 AM
Rookie

I have worked for Knight Transportation out of Katy, Tx for 1 year in a couple of weeks! I have had a few minor downs but more ups with them, Ive been driving since 97 and they are the 5th company I have worked for! I was doing OTR 3-6 wks out 1 day off for a week out prehistoric trucking time off crap before. I wanted more hometime, decent pay (Was willing to take paycut for hometime), nice truck, dedicated\regional to stay near home.

I have gotten all the things above, Im home every weekend usually friday afternoon thru sunday nite or monday morning, drive a 2005 volvo, have a dedicated run from san antonio (home) to dallas\houston\valley cities. Im making 35.5 cpm at my highest pay scale and my trips are all usually under 300 miles so with the sliding pay system I make the highest pay for the short runs. Im not sure of the exact pay scale atm for starting but it was 31 cpm a year ago and the fleet got 4 raises in the past year. We get detention pay by the minute, after 2 hours.

To start with I drove a 460,000 mile century which I didnt like, then it had problems so I got another 500,000+ mile century which finally after 10 months of driving they gave me a new truck, which is a volvo and they are in the process of making the dry van fleet all volvo. After about 8months I got my first dedicated run which only lasted about a month which upsetted me, then last week after running regional around Texas mostly for 3 weeks I got another dedicated run I mentioned above (home every nite\in town at least)

They are the best company I have worked for, list of other companies I worked for and comparing to below

1. Stevens Transport > 18mths, low pay, taught me allot though, good starting company, get experience from free training and leave after contract.

2. James Helwig and Son > 3 yrs off and on, great small company, no hometime though, too much east coast big city, tired of it, meat hauler mostly.

3. CFI > 6 mnths messed up hometime, crazy dispatch number system, hated the phone highway miler thing, felt like a number with this company big time, would never consider going back!

4. JB Hunt > 6 mnths , actually really liked them, slipped seated 2wks out 4 days off but I had to go from houston to san antonio on a bus to and from work, I really liked there dispatch system (never met my dispatcher in another state) but you were a number.

Knight is really a good company even though we drive slow 62 mph trucks! They have a killer back breaker physical, you go to a physical therapist and he works your butt off to test you! Lots of drop and hook at Knight, lots of dedicated runs. You will have to work for them for awhile to get the ded runs but sometimes you may be in a hot spot and get lucky from the start. When I started I told my dispatcher I liked running the southwest and went to LA, Las Vegas back to Texas allot. You can choose or ask what loads they have or tell them what your plan is!

I have problems with load planning (really thats everywhere but they dont utilize the info from the qualcomm we give them), lack of empty trailers (drive around for hours looking sometimes), my 2nd dispatcher just quit so here we go again waiting for new guy. I really want a speed increase but its not the most important thing, hometime and pay are!

Overall if your looking to staying close to home, having more time at home and eventually getting a dedicated run Id go for it! Just dont forget we drive slow so get a xm radio to kill some time or something

Need more details let me know, some of my info may not be precise cause things change allot and ive forgotten stuff from orientation a year ago!
Old 10-10-2004, 04:25 AM
Default Physical

What do you mean by back breaking physical?
Old 10-10-2004, 08:05 AM
Rookie
Default Re: Physical

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnc915
What do you mean by back breaking physical?
They have had problems with people who have back problems already and not mentioning them. So they give you an intense physical, backwards situps and heavy weights etc. Fraud is a problem everywhere so they want to check your physical abilites beyond putting a checkmark on a list and saying Im good to go!

Cant blame them, Id do the same thing!
Old 10-14-2004, 04:19 PM
Senior Board Member
Default BLESS YOU ALL

I want to thank you all for your info. You all have been very helpful. I don't know as yet where I am going with my trucking career. I know I am going to have my fourteen year old son with me. He is my baby boy and I am comitted to being his dad. As a matter I soon have to get out to pick the boy up from school. So I say again; thank you all for your info. May the Lord bless you and keep you from all hurt, harm, and danger; seen and unseen. :lol: :lol: Go safely; see you on the big road :rock:
Old 11-20-2004, 10:57 PM
Default You, all... go 2 swift...

Thats right.. i drive 4 Knight... and your not smart enough!!!!!!
dtrain, -senior driver in easton... dont make the area look bad. Im from
the lehigh valley..

cateyes... you i dont have an answer 4. hope your blonde... if not buy a wig..

ryan b... read the above..........

Sincerley, TRK. 10199... Katy!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-20-2004, 11:21 PM
Default Knight Transportation, South Central Region.

Heres, what i have dealt with.... Since august.
I keep try to keep positive...

My first trk. ac slept 4 nights with out and then ecm went out.
thats real brief.. They put me in a better trk. now.

Loads our second rate.. from what i had. drop an hook 75%, not 4 me.
lots of x at the dock.

there dm.s will tell u get there.. they will take u.. call cust first... thats a tip. dont lose your own time to sit @ a dock.

Now im having problems getting detention X... Will see soon if they are true.

They lack former drivers, in the admin area... this is based on my view from, South Central division..

now.. this is what u willl have...

Home X is a plus, fueling is easy.. someone will answer the phone there..
when u call in.
remeber this a fast trk. gets u around the states , but will it bring u home like my, SLOW TRUCK???

TRK.. 10199.. Katy..
Old 11-22-2004, 05:29 PM
Rookie

You should check out J.B. Hunt. They smoke Knight. They started me at .38cpm and I'm averaging 3000 to 3200 miles a week. Almost all drop and hook, no touch freight.