User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2017, 04:03 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default At what size or point are companies still led by Ex Drivers?

I am done with larger trucking companies. Just done. I know that this is a trend for American business. But when did it become the business model for people who have never before performed the duties of what the company does.. to oversee and run them? Normally into the ground.

My last and maybe last ever company is guilty of this. NONE of those in my chain of command that resided at the company headquarters have ever been in a truck, have never been licensed to drive, have little to no empathy for drivers as they cannot relate to what it is that they do, have done or must do to the job that these people demand they do.

The company that I worked for had a dedicated operation in my area, I decided (a bit reluctantly) to accept the safety rep position for a fleet of (then) around 160 drivers. The accident rate was staggering.. STAGGERING. But it was apparently acceptable enough for the company to stay profitable enough to keep going. The root causes of the accidents? 1. Inexperienced drivers who had the same basic skills that most new drivers have. 2. Equipment poorly spec'd for the work to be performed. Tractors are purchased based on resale and recruiting tools. Trucks were too large, too long and had way too much aerodynamic froo froo glued and screwed onto them.. trailers 53' vans that were stuffed to the gills and an added liftgate to unload customer freight with.

Bottom line, drivers forced too soon to "get up to speed". i.e Operations used these new drivers for any and all deliveries.. even in areas that were extremely difficult and in fact dangerous to get into. The results are easy to figure out..

Most months the account would have at east twenty accidents and there were many months where there were over 30 accidents. "Real" accidents were rare, but did happen. Most accidents were based on close quarter maneuvering failures, and honestly most were totally preventable..

For the first time in my life (I'm 55) I was terminated from a job.. I was terminated for "failure to take ownership of the account" and "being too negative"...

In my defense.. I do not see holding operations and the driver's feet to the fire on having up to 6 accidents a DAY as being negative.. I saw it as being REALISTIC.. There can be no high fives and congratulatory BS when the accidents are costing over a million dollars a year on an account with less than 200 drivers..

Rant almost over...

Last edited by Fozzy; 09-08-2017 at 09:50 PM.
Old 09-05-2017, 04:43 PM
Senior Board Member

That business model is not just in trucking, it's the new way of all business's. When I worked in the collision industry I applied to a few insurance companies as an estimator and was told (unofficially)that I wasn't hired because I #1 would be biased and write higher times for shops and #2, I knew to much and wouldn't conform to company policies.(ended up for the best because they're right)
Lot's of higher up jobs don't need any/much experience in that field BUT it sure wouldn't hurt in many cases!
I do feel for you, it sucks being put in a position to do a job and then never given the tools, authority, or backing to complete the task and then be held responsible for failing. You were nothing but a sacrificial lamb on the we have to do something alter.
As far as who would be a good fit for you, no idea. Have you thought about going out on your own? It's not for everybody but might be the best option.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington
Old 09-06-2017, 03:12 PM
Senior Board Member

I see the trend in other businesses for sure. The way it seems to work is that the company is started by someone who loves the industry and does it for their entire life.. they build the business up till its making money and has a great name.. then the boss retires or sells the company. The company name is still there.. but Biff, Tad and Buffy are now in charge. They get the company and instantly feel alienated and alone as the people who are already there have alliances with the old owner and they have something else that the newcomers do not.. EXPERIENCE. They then start replacing these people with people from THEIR world.. people they can relate to.. they keep replacing old schoolers with newbies until there are no newbies left. Then when that starts to fail.. they hire "consultants" instead of relying on their own people... and thats what happens. I got gray bearded out of a job more than anything I feel. One of my safety coaches is now my replacement. He's a great kid! Good Driver, Great attitude.. but three guesses who trained him?

I have looked into some things.. but still try and stay in the trucking safety, training, management realm. I have considered driving again.. its just easy. It does however come with all of the pratfalls and issues that trucking has.

I have thought about getting into the hotshot deal.. then when I get sick or fed up.. at least I have a pick up that can be used for different things! lol

PS. I have had to undergo an unemployment tribunal recently.. of course the company (the guy who fired me) is contesting my unemployment claim.. its irritating.

Thanks for the response.
Old 09-07-2017, 07:33 PM
Board Icon

Fozzy, sounds all too familiar at Schneider. At least in my little quadrant on Walmart dedicated, both safety guys are still current drivers on the account. They know exactly what the problems are at each store or the routes getting to them. 2 of the 3 Driver Managers are ex drivers on the account and 1 night dispatch. But, the head of it all, has never driven and she makes up rules as we go. The company itself, so many ticky tack rules. Idling is a big no no unless it's over 70 or under 20. Trucks are programmed to not idle, get a truck that is programmed wrong or has a bad temp sensor, they refuse to fix it. Oh well, don't idle.......dude its 94 degrees with high humidity and it will not idle.........you shouldn't idle. So ok, lemme go down the road, fall asleep and kill innocent folks because I didn't get my proper rest, your good with that? Yep they are, so long as I did my proper pre-trip, wore my safety vest and didn't high hook a trailer.
Old 09-08-2017, 09:00 PM
Senior Board Member

Well the good news is that the company that terminated me and then tried to deny unemployment.. lost in court. I have to say with out a doubt this was a horrible experience. I had to get on the phone for a "trial".. The company had the rat that fired me and the company's lawyer.. The more they tried to make me look bad, the worse it got for them. So the good is that while being terminated sucks.. they did not prove any wrong doing or cause to do so. It makes no real difference. The damage has been done.

I have to put together a presentation on HOS for an interview on Monday, we shall see what happens

Last edited by Fozzy; 09-08-2017 at 09:10 PM.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:11 AM
Rookie

I've seen this trend in some businesses. The company is started by someone who loves the industry and does it for their entire life.. they build the business up till its making money and has a great name.. then the boss retires or sells the company.
--------------------
“Reality continues to ruin my life.” - Papers Please apk
Old 09-15-2017, 05:57 PM
Senior Board Member

I had to call the company in OKC and tell them I was unable to go further in the process. 100 mile commutes with winter coming on and a 14 thousand dollar pay cut, I just couldn't rationalize it. I applied for a couple of positions here close.. if these don't go anywhere. I'm going to go back to driving. At least there, its a pretty short list of people I have to deal with.