User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2014, 10:55 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Marten Transport vs Earl Henderson Trucking

I'm sure neither of these choices are stellar, but these are the offerings right now!

We reside in San Diego, CA... Hubby has job offers with both... We would like to know from those with first-hand experience or reliable knowledge up-to-date pros and cons...

We've heard good, bad and ugly for both...

What is your take?

Thanks in advance for any info.
Old 04-14-2014, 12:59 AM
Senior Board Member

I don't know about Earl Henderson, but I know just a tiny bit about Marten, where one of my former co-workers has been driving for a while.
The only gripe he has is that they for drivers to take per-diem, and the mileage pay is split in a rather funky way due to that. Whenever I talk to him, I'll ask him the breakdown of that.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:19 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPIDarkAngel View Post
I don't know about Earl Henderson, but I know just a tiny bit about Marten, where one of my former co-workers has been driving for a while.
The only gripe he has is that they for drivers to take per-diem, and the mileage pay is split in a rather funky way due to that. Whenever I talk to him, I'll ask him the breakdown of that.
Thanks VPIDarkAngel...I didn't think I was ever going to get a response! :-)

I've been on both CAD and another site, going back and forth looking for responses, but I got only yours here and very little on the other. For some reason I'm not getting the info I'm looking for.

And yes, per diem stinks no matter what. I honestly don't see how trucking companies get away with forced per diem--seems to me they've found a way to keep a little more money for themselves, a little less for Uncle Sam and their drivers.

If you do happen to talk to your friend, could you ask what he knows about Marten's western regional fleet? We live in San Diego.

Thanks again for hollering. :-)
Old 04-28-2014, 04:21 AM
Senior Board Member

I did manage to talk to him, and he said that the actual pay per mile (taxed) was $0.22. The rest of whatever they claimed the mileage to be was paid as per diem ($0.14/mile). I doubt he'd know anything about western regional, as he's from Newark, DE.
Your assessment of the per diem situation seems pretty accurate, and I'm not sure how they get away with it either.
As for responses, it's usually either feast or famine... usually famine. With major companies, a lot of folks say "stay away" and then there'll be a few who actually work for said company that give a first-hand account. Mid-size companies (like Marten) don't get much press on here, since the odds of having one of their drivers (current or former) on here is a lot lower than, say, a Swift driver.
Old 05-05-2014, 04:16 AM
Rookie

if hubby has experience, he could look on craigslist in the transport area and find one that will fit his criteria.
hope it helps