User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2013, 02:24 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Looking for your opinion on opening a free CDL school that charges for placement

This idea came about after unsuccessfully looking to find drivers for my company. Knowing that a starting truck driver can make between 3.5k-5k/ month, if working long hours and maybe 20-25 days a month, a lot of people would be interested, because we all know that no job without a degree pay that and many college graduates start with less than that. The way I see it, which I have done myself, you work for a company 4-12 months, gain valuable experience on their trucks, make an average of 4k a month, save 10 and in 4-12 months but your own truck and reefer and make 8-12 k depending on what your plans or choice of lifestyle is. So why aren't more people doing this? My reasoning is that either they do not know the income potential, they do not want to be away from their family or they cannot leave their current job and attend CDL school which can take a month or more and costs big money. My first questions to you are:
1. Why do you think there arent enough drivers to recruit?
2. What is the average cost and completion time for CDL school?
3. Do you agree with me on the income potential?

My solution to this problem is opening a CDL school which offers great training with superior certification so the drivers do not have problems getting recruited by good paying companies, very flexible hours with night classes to allow students to work it around their current work schedule and make it a free school to the student with the condition that we place them with a company which will cover their fee. Student could also be pre approved by a company and they will sponsor them into our program.

What is your opinion on this? Thank you for reading this and please let me know if you have any questions.
Old 08-27-2013, 01:27 AM
Board Regular

Everything you've posted is wrong and you'll lose your ass.
With elogs i cant see a newbie making over 30-35k unless he never gets home.
Yes people want to be home with the people they love ...
Most people have a family to support so "just tossing back 10k" when they spend 150 a week to live on the road and support that family is.. nuts..
Noone is going to sign on to "work wherever i tell you for a year"
There arent enough drivers because 1 out of 10 people who start school last more than 6 mos. And the pay and hometime are going down because of elogs.
Average retail cost is 3-5k. Competion time for a good school is 4-6 weeks. For a diploma mill 2 weeks....
Yes every company on earth would love to do your plan because amoral people love the idea of serfdom...