User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2013, 11:02 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

JR OTR i'm not doing this to buy a truck. Im doing it to learn how to operate as an o/o and to learn flatbedding. Then im saving 5-7k up and buying my own and probably getting my own authority. That truck wont be a freightliner and it wont have 700k on it. Also the payment is 325 a week 8 months a year. The other 4 it is 140 a week. the math is pretty sweet on that. And if it blows up they just get me another truck (which i also wont buy). the only problem with this truck is lack of power.. im thinking due to age and bad compression or a bad turbo.

On with the story: I got a load from clayton, de to beech island sc... only to have the broker call to talk me out of it. Theyre apparently picky as hell.. want an 8 foot tarp, every inch of the 48 etc.. honestly i think he was keeping it for his own guys. I devoured the load boards for hours and called on two loads. Both paid laughable money. The brokers agreed. Got a call offering me a load to south florida. Said no thanks. Last minute i refreshed the load board and boom.. a load picking up in boonieville, pa and going to elkhart in! Pay is meh but ill make a few hundred minimum. Headed west and.. the bridge was restricted due to wind. turned around drove 30 miles back (thats 60 x .80 or so including maint *sigh*). Went north and... drove tiny local roads into pa (reminded me of bedbugging). Didnt mind the roads.. minded the 25-40mph! Was going to pick up today and unload tomorrow by 12 at the latest and head south but it took over 4.5 hours to do 200 miles. Now im in a truckstop in martinsburg, pa. PS dont come here.. the pilot is a nightmare. So im shutting down til 7amish maybe 8 then loading 5 miles away. Light aluminum load! Pay to truck is about a grand. 525 miles + deadhead (ya..i was that desperate to get out). Pay about a grand. Previous load paid about 1400 to the truck. So when im done with this i should have 2400-1200ish fuel (maybe less) - weekly payments. About 1600 miles but thats with deadhead to pick up load one (i forget.. 150 miles?), deadhead home and out (about 120-140 miles home). 250 miles on this load (because of bridge being closed having to turn aruond and go the other way ARGH). thats a LOT of deadhead but it wont be regular. I had to get out of delaware so that 250 is unavoidable. As for home ill deadhead 300 miles if i have to.. i value hometime more than $200 any day. The first load being 150 deadhead was not my choice or doing. I was in atlanta .. id have gone up to chicago not to friggin delaware. I figure on a normal week where >I< run my loads ill be able to do <10% deadhead easily excluding my run home.. and deadhead on it if i run n/s might be 0. Im thinking if tomorrow were my last load of the week id make at least 500 (because no payments at first). I plan on running from indy down to SC or ga for another 500-600 miles then if i feel like it ill grab something up to tennessee then something back by home (or just deadhead there are loads 100 miles from my house) or south.. at most one more short run back up into tennessee. Theres no reason i cant clear above a grand maybe 1500 my first week even with being forced into this ****ty northeast run with all the deadhead. If this were 3 weeks later id have to do all that to clear 1000 (no truck paymetn etc etc now). It's looking good but ill be damned if i run the northeast again (or the SD run the broker wanted me to.. i almost laughed). Honestly i didnt expect to make anything my first couple weeks. Looks like i will. Once i can run the actual freight lanes i should do well i think.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:52 AM
Board Regular

"End" of first week.
Offered a last minute run from Iowa to nc. It pays crap because of the deadhead mostly (240 miles). Load is 900 miles 2 stops for 1550. took it because why not.. might as well get home and set up.
Not sure but i should make around 1500+. Im TIRED so this could be way understated. If this run had paid decent it would be about 2. Ran about 2700 miles + deadhead. Around 700 deadhead. That's a lot but considering i was in both KC and delaware... Shockingly i'm getting 6.6mpg in one opportunity i had to measure.

Things that hurt me: being clueless on securement. I'm learning quick now. First time it took me 3 hours + maybe 4. One lumber tarp and two steel tarps. UGH ill never touch that lumber tarp again. Second time took me 1-2hrs to doubletarp a tall load outdoors. It looked and rode sweet and tight!!! Im still making small mistakes and having to fix them so time will improve. Tarping TIME is really affecting me.
Windshield cracked *sigh* guess one of the few things not covered by our maint contract

Moneywise: our maintenance contract is killing me. If you run a lot of miles it really kicks your ass. Trailer rental. Laughably high. I'm buying a curtainside ASAP. It will pay for itself thrice over because of the cut down on tarping time and it'll be cheaper.

Most of all what killed me was being on the delaware and kc run. It was a b**** getting out of delaware though i made money. Because of that my deadhead all week was through the roof trying to get repositioned. the I made my money on the first 1600 miles this week. I could have ended the week and gone home wiht 1000+.

My plan is to buy a good truck as fast as possible. This truck has serious quirks and i just now got it to run decent. It's cut down to nothing.. i have to use the cruise to get past that.
I have to learn to say no to agents. But on the other hand at least 1 has me on speeddial now.
I can NOT seem to get set up the way i want. I need to be home and unloaded to start off so i can start running from spartanburg, sc north. I'm going near raleigh in the morning to unload 2 stops. About 350 miles. Checked all load boards found one to indiana one to kentucky on outside boards but not sure of price . Ill call tomorrow. Tomorrow is burned with the unload and the maintenance.
I was out sunday at 7am til this sunday at 6pm approx. My choice really. Im going to try to grab 1500 miles that pays around 2 a mile this week then go home thursday or friday Morning and take the weekend off.
after this week i'll be home every weekend regardless.

I SERIOUSLY have to get my own truck to get out from under this maintenance plan + truck payment. I can buy a sweet 2010 or 11 volvo/pete for what the overpay on the combo is costing me. A curtainside would save me enough time (as a newbie at least) that alone would let me run another run each week.

Keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:01 AM
Board Regular

one note:

If youre a newbie with crst. they do have a $100 advance. However it comes out of your fuel. that's bad .. they are WAY too tight on fuel money. Basically $1 a mile fuel advance which sounds great til you realise it doesnt include deadhead. And in the big picture youre often better deadheading 100 extra miles for a run than you are taking the cheaper paying one 40 miles away. It's all about the bottom line.

You MUST bring money /food/clothes etc for more than a week. this hurt me BADLY and i went through a lot of cash. I had to fuel mostly at places we dont get a fuel discount because i needed fuel NOW. Also had to log fuel every 5 bloody minutes.... Beg borrow or steal and bring as much cash as you can it will make life easier til you get that first paycheck.

Fuel discount or not (which equates to 5-70 a tank IF you fuel at exactly the right places.. and you never know which is which) you're better off once you have the money for a fuel fund to fill up using cash whenever you find cheap fuel. Iowa price $3.85 at a little truck stop i had to stop at or run out. Illinois ( i think) fuel price 4.12.... Much better off just paying cash to fill the tanks up in iowa if you get what i mean.
I'll get a handle on all of this..
Old 03-20-2013, 02:52 AM
Board Regular

The Week from Hell and i have to vent!
so first of all .. i have a cracked windshield. One of the FEW things not covered under our ridiculous maintenance plan. Thats gonna hurt. Had a gravel pockmark(?) in it but thats not where the crack started so im going to be paid for it (i could probably convince them but my principles are worth more than money). Sucks.. but stuff happens
Headed to drop the 2 stops 240 miles (last stop) from home. Get to first stop around 1130 (delays).. and it takes 3 hours to unload *sigh*. So cant make the second because apparently they in their desperation for the load (i would have stayed home, got a 34, and delivered today both stops..)... they close at 4. Say deliver in the morning.

Fine i do and.. copilot SUCKS around charlotte and greensboro. Random roads.. made up roads.. finally get there and unloaded. Dispatcher finds me a load to indiana. I have to go to lowes and pay 75 bucks for ugh heavyass treated 4x4's but ok. get half way to the load and.. it cancels!. FINE. I hit the load board.. lots of other stuff..... um thing is if i take Any of it i run flat out of hours. I get 1.5 back tomorrow. 7 the next day... nogo. I call dispatch and say im going home (110 miles). head down 85 and.. theres a 30 mile backup. (seriously dot you couldnt clean up a wreck in 8 hours? even one lane?). Also: dot has half the onramps between greensboro and charlotte shut off. Guess how i know... For roadwork theyre not actually doing....

So screw it ill head back up , across country, and take 40. Only cost me another 50 bucks or so! I get home at 9:30. Literally.. on the dot out of hours. My sister comes to pick me up. And the key breaks off in the door (Freightliner seriously?? this isnt a new problem your keys are crap. Youre saving .02 on keys get a grip).

Last trip paid 1850 not 1550 which is good. If i get the docs transflo'd tonight my net from last week should be $2100-2300. 325 of that is a truck payment i dont have to pay yet. There are also other things i dont start paying yet. Note that is Monday to tuesday morning because of the screwed delivery etc. Im sitting home now on a 34. Plan is to leave thursday early and try to hammer out two 600ish mile runs up near chicago and back or something similar. If not ill try to do a few short hops. Theres TONS of freight out of spartanburg i just need to find runs back. Because at first you dont have a truck payment i need to make 450 + .15 a mile to pay the truck bills this week and after this hellish week ill be happy with that. Paying for the windshield and key as well would be nice (gonna try to fish it out and take it to a locksmith). The windshield gives me ulcers. If i run two 600 miles runs at $2 a mile to the truck (plenty out there.. its where they go that can be a problem) it will pay for everything and if i average it out id make 1100 or so each for the first two weeks. Not awful.

some things i learned/decided:
Starting friday things change radically. One of THE biggest problems with malone is theyre so tight on fuel. that means you fuel when and where you do NOT want to. I'm ALWAYs on empty (my guage is screwed and they give you basically $1 per loaded mile in fuel to play with... which is fine if you dont give a **** where you go or what it pays). Starting with my first payday i fill the truck up and let that loads fuel advance sit on the card. That should let me fuel when and where i want from now on. Im guessing it cost me $100 in high fuel prices and fuel discounts. It definitely cost me in terrifying me watching that guage. This will cost me a little.. i will only get the .05 cash discount but it is WAY worth it. It will remove 50% of my stress. Theyre fools to do this (i get why.. still foolish longterm).

I'm buying a truck from loan mountain, period. And that is based entirely on the math (and not the fact that they have MUCH better trucks than these pos freighliners).
Their maint charge is .15 a mile (supposedly .12 but x18% = .15 because.. i dont know.. the moon is blue? havent had time to read jack). That doesnt cover everythign and if something MAJOR goes wrong theyre going to offer you a new lease instead. From their pov its not worth doing a $12k inframe on a $20k truck. From my pov if i run 3200 miles total im paying you freaking 500 a weekin maintenance. If im doing that ill just lease TWO trucks instead and if one breaks down ill just drive the second one! And use the extra 175 a week to snort powdered money off columbian hookers... seriously..

I can put down 5200 on a truck with 400k or so from loan mountain. Pay the SAME truck payment (3 months a year it would be more), put .15 per mile in a maint account (cause why not.. ) and if my Newer Nicer more Powerful more fuel efficient truck doesnt break down in the first year.. i have lots of pretty money sitting in an account and can drop that .15 to 0 once the fund hits 15k or so.

Now i have to decide between the loan mountain trucks. they currently (and usually) have garbage freightshakers, Pete 387's on occasion, Volvo 670's and Prostars.
I want to try out a volvo ive never heard anyone who didnt love them and they are supposedly quiet with a great ride. That is IMPORTANT to me. Especially the quiet i have hearing damage from trucking. I hear volvos are genarally heavy ..
Prostars are pure class. SWEET trucks nothing bad to say about them. I think they might be a tad heavy.
Pete 387's I LOVE those trucks. There isnt a better dry van truck on the road. Period. Full stop. Only downside is their turn radius is a joke. SMOOTH. Pretty quiet (till the doors warp as ALL Trucks). Huge interior.
I think theyre heavy.

All 3 of those get >6mpg. My worry is weight. Turn radius isnt a factor because i pull a split axle and they don't like curves anyway. Any thoughts?
Old 03-22-2013, 02:00 PM

As far as trucks go, there is a HUGE difference between a Volvo 670 and Volvo 780. The 670's have much less interior room and are marginally lighter, whereas the 780's beat all when it comes to storage space, the workspace table in back (converts into lower bunk), ride quality, etc. Look inside both to compare before you buy, the difference is dramatic.

Good luck,

Jim
Old 03-24-2013, 07:49 PM
Senior Board Member

I vote for the 387. Yes, the ProStars are heavy, especially on the steers. Our guys couldn't get the 5th wheel far enough back to get weight off the steers at times. ProStars can also leak rather badly due to improper gasket installation between the bottom and top halves of the sleeper roof. Also, their side-skirts sit way too low (if so equipped).
Not surprisingly, Werner's Fleet Sales will often have 387's (and possibly ProStars, Cascadias, Century's, and T600's) floating around and some will even have APU's. Keep us posted on what you end up with.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:03 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I think that any of them could work well for you. I would stay away from the Volvo if it has a Volvo engine. The reason being is maintenance. If you need anything done on the engine you will likely need to go to a dealer and that will increase your repair costs considerably over having one of the major US engines (Cummins, Detroit or CAT) which can usually be repaired at most shops and parts are normally available without a major hit on price, although CAT parts can be a little more than the other two. Volvo's do have a very good ride. If you are wanting to save weight, I would think that the 670 would weigh less than the Pete or International. If weight is a concern, you can always check the weight before buying. Volvo should have the best ride and would probably be more quiet than the other two. But, it depends on what you really want in a truck. I probably see more Internationals pulling flats than the other two models you mentioned.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:41 AM
Board Regular

I'll probably go prostar eventually thanks everybody. Yes im concerned about weight but honestly... i HATE hauling coils and if the moneys close i go for lighter loads. Pays off in the end (fuel, wear on truck, time).
I love the idea of at 780 or even 70 but ive heard repeatedly maintenance costs are high and hard to come by. And i like the prostars a lot. I like 387's a LOT. But they dont turn worth a crap and split axles are already horrible at that. And its not worth the extra money for the peterbilt name if i'm not getting a cat engine to boot. I'll look for a 13 speed prostar with an apu when the time comes.

Money: I cleared 1250 or so on this settlement. Last settlement i cleared 350ish (700 mile trip to delaware). I havent had tiem to delve into the math there.. i was thinking i should have cleared a lot more but i think i have 2 weeks of payments tied up in there (no truck payment first 3 and some other things but everythign else is in there). And this week was screwed because of the bullsh** unloading the iowa run. Two days to unload 11 plastic containers.. bs. Anyway the money is actually fine.

This week: hell. I plan on delivering monday both stops then picking up or worst case pick up in the morning. And this load is "hot". they told me they were running out and neeeded it badly if i could make it. First stop they take forever. Cant make second in time so ill deliver in the morning. They take hours. My dispatcher actually finds me a load (i had been looking at) that requires more dunnage than i have so im forced to go to lowes and drop 80 bucks on pretreated lumber (all they had that would work). Hour away from pickup they cancel the load (GRRR). I look for more cant find anything really. Windshield is cracked and I WILL run out of the 70 soon and wont get much back for days. I call dispatch and tell them screw it im going home ($ 100 fuel wasted going to pick up load. $100 more to go home).
Key breaks off in lock at home (seriously frieghtliner.. seriously??????). $80. Call companies glass guys they say cant get a windshield til tomorrow yada yada. I call frieghtliner they ask when i want to pick it up... i pick it up and call my best friend who installs glass. He asks me for 60 to do it. we sit in front of the house with a beer and put it in. I pay him 100 bucks. He's my buddy and im not hurting.
Get a call about doing a load from asheville to middletown ohio hauling plastic pipe. I heard about this load and watned to check into it. Show up.. 2 or 3 hour weight (bad timing). I leave and go get new glasses made. Come back and apparently they were shocked i left *shrug*. The guys loading were awesome. If i ever do this load again im taking them pizza or oranges. oranges used to be my trademark. Problem with this load is it's short.. 384 miles. Upside.. i can load in the morning and go home.. or wake up at noon and go pick it up.. etc. downside is its 384 miles. 2-3 hours to load (including waiting). 2-3 hour unload. Upside no tarping (smoke tarp only) and pipe is TOP heavy wow. Heres the bad part. Got a call from alabama offered me a load to pa. Said it paid good and they kept bidding it up. I had committed to the agent that id call her back when windshield was fixed to assure here id do the asheville load so i said no. Called her and .. she'd given it away (not sure if im upset or not i did take a while). I think shes trying to get me to compete for them. Wont happen.
Checked the boards HOLY CR** the load from sc to pa paid about 3 per mile. And theres a run back. I could have made a grand clear running it up and say 6-800 running back (thats Gross profit - fuel/maint). @#$#@$.
I see the load is still on the board along with about 5 nearly identical runs paying a little less. I wait til morning and start calling.. noone is answering their bloody phones.. how do agents make money??? I get a call one of the drivers dropped on the pipe load. I can take it and go.. or wait for the pa runs which may be taken (the others paid good not Awesome). I decided to take the pipe run since neither agent was answering their phone.
I wish to god i hadnt.

When im loading i realise i have ot do soemthign with this big heavy timber. I say screw it and give most of it to the loader. It's too heavy to deal with and id have to mount it weird along the flatbed frame. I make a bulkhead out of 2 and give the rest away. Deliver to lowes dc in ohio and .. theres a bunch of dry 6x6 hardwood dunnage therer. SCORE (i still prefer 3x3). Karma baybee. The dock guy and i bull**** forever while unloading. Coulda been out much faster but gotta enjoy life while u can. Lowes dc wasnt bad at all and no rolling tarps etc was awesome. I get a coil load to pick up from ak steel in middletown. First time chaining a coil other than "class". I get in.. have to buy a hardhat from them (thank god ive searched for one for 2 weeks). Get inside and.. no frickin edge protectors. I checked my truck for all but that and assumed they were buried under the giant mass of rubber and lumber in the side box (i have never had time other than hometime to do a proper inventory and to heck with htat). I sigh write it off to murphys law, shake hands and say bye. The dock guys were awesome and helpful. I get outside and do the trucker whine to another trucker who.. gives me 4 edge protectors. I give him a couple plastic edge guards to make up for it pull back in and am good to go (they require 2 chains to roll out). I get in and load. These binders have never seen a drop of wd 40 and its cold as crap . UGH. I get it chained and pull out. they hand me basically my original paperwork. I chain , strap and tarp, get to security and they want the tag off the coil. They handed me a tag the first time which i gvve back. i dont have one this time. Not sure if i lost it (doubt it but possible) or they didnt hand it to me. ARGH. Guard is an ass. I go back in talk to them. the guy inside is nice but a rule guy.. makes me untarp/strap/chain. Removes roll calls his supervisor to see if they can get this fixed. Yes it was ap ita but it's his job i have no problem.. not his fault its' mine. Supervisor comes down gets me a new roll etc. The guy tells me to just do my thing inside since noone else is coming and i completely strap/tarp/chain inside. MUCH quicker as first time i was freezing and blind. Still im DEAD and covered in sweat and suit and hurting when im done. Total load time 8 hours. I will never go back to ak steel period. theres nothing wrong with the company or the dock guys. But it was a bad experience and exactly why i avoided that. Also i dont mind tarping but i HATE binders. My "avoid coils" rule along with my "avoid aluminum" rule was reinforced strongly.

In the end i get home the next day at 3:30 and spend all day with my niece then party all night with my friends who i feed so many shots i had my own personal bartender (THIS is why i truck people.. friends and family).

My "end of first period" impressions:
CRST's maintenance REALLY pisses me off. $500 out of this settlement. thats frickin ridiculous. I could buy a second truck as backup for that. And a SWEET truck.
This truck is sortof getting better. Once it warms up 50 miles or so it seems to get some staying power. It NEVER has "pulling" power (torque). If i drive 62 i do 25mph up every 2% grade. If i do 65 i can haul 44 up a 3 or 4% grade and usually never drop below 55. Honestly though weight seems irrelevant to the truck it doesnt really haul differently regardless of weight. That coil pulled as easy as the pipe. I think they have ti turned down.. except on cruise. I use the cruise almost solely as accelerator most of the time now. You can hear the turbo kick in with it. The turbo doesnt kick in with the pedal. I need to have that checked sometime.

My driver marker light is out . Was going to replace it on my way home but its my run home, it's daylight, and im not sure which bulb to buy. Ill take it apart tomorrow when i deliver 60 miles from home and pick one up at a truck stop. also rear marker got cracked (?????????????????). Picked up a cheap one at the truck stop. I'll replace it at the same time . It still lights its just cosmetic.
Duct taped the crap out of this tarp. Anyone have better solutions? Id try black helicopter tape but dont know where you can buy it.
I'm going to try to grab some long runs early. Id LIKe to get a 600 mile run in tomorrow and get it on this settlement so ill have a check. right now i think i paid for the truck thursday and friday. (no truck payment til next week). If i can run 600 -900 to deliver tuesday i'll be good to go. Im not stressing regardless. Id LIKE to run up to iowa but that's hit and miss on loads out. Id like to run farther west maybe to east texas but REALLY wary of getting freight that isnt pocket change out of texas. Ive seriously seen full loads that pay .80cpm out of texas with no fsc. And indiana load would be good to hit a maint facility (rockport) but they LOVE them some steel/aluminum up there and i have no desire for that nor for sitting a day. I want the oil changed, the passenger seat replaced and for them to check on the computer settings and compression . I need more power flat out.

Summary: money is fine here.. you can make as much as you want. Maintenance plan is utter bull****. Its bs im paying 500 for maintenance and so far have had to pay 200 for a windshield, 80 for a key (bent when i got it and all freightshaker keys do this crap.. the replacement i got Is steel. the freightshaker original is garbage pot metal.. i know metal). 50 for an airline that they might reimburse or not (havent thought of faxing it in when i was near one). I can run the asheville to oh twice a week and something back and clear maybe 650 if im lucky with anything i can do on friday as a bonus. For a lazy trucker this woudl be a dream. Id be home late tuesday night. Leave home at noonish to pick up wednesday. Only drive around 400 a day. Be back home thursday night sometime (expecially if i could get an earlier unload at lowes dc. noon sucks).I think for now ill grab the longest highest profit load i can for mondays then spend the week working my way back home. that way you get the truck paid for quick and the rest of the week i decide between home and money. If i want a $500 week and to relax and go home early i can do that or i can run my butt off.

THIS IS DIFFERENT!! I dont mind being out!! it's weird! i think of my truck as my home. Ive NEVER done that. I ahted being out!! I dont now.. because >I< decide when and what i do. It makes all the difference on the planet people omg. this is exaclty what i thought it was. When i go o/o i WILL be leasing to crst (after i look closer at their settlements).

Now to equip my truck. I need more edge protectors(chainthrough!). Also: tv. mobile sattelite. A new fridge/microwave/inverter. Im thinking of trying the deep cycle battery idea instead of a generator or apu. I really only need one for a couple hours to fall asleep too. I need more storeage of EVERY kind. This is NOt a 387. The standard truck cabinets are idiotic. But in truckign once someone does something thats the way everyone does it for a decade *sigh*. When i buy my truck the upper bunk is toast and handbuilt cabinets are going in as are both side cabinets. I'll replace the driver side with a good sized fridge. Ill have one built or build one for the passenger side. Going to walmart tonight to pick up an lcd tv and either antenna or stuff to make one. Also the stuff to make a laptop mount. I can make these in my sleep. Im thinking a Lot of industrial velcro for now to mount the tv. I really want to find some good advice on in cab cooking. also im getting one of the coffee pots with the thermos pot those are awesome in a truck. Forget all this dc stuff it's crap and just dumbly designed by people who have theories about living in a truck. going to take my $$$ electric skillet when i can spare money for a 2500 watt inverter (1000 is plenty but heck iwant extra). Stopping at a harbor freight asap to pick up a cheap cordless to strapwind.

So far i like this and the company. ONLY downsides are maintenance plan bs, i hate coils, i want to burn this annoying lumber tarp, and my engine belongs in a camry.

Thanks for all the advice guys keep in coming please you guys are the only reason i could make this work.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:34 PM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member

Enjoyed sitting down and reading the entire thread cdreid. Thanks for sharing all the ins and outs. I'm rooting for ya on this end. Your experiences that you are posting are invaluable to someone considering the path that you have taken. And very interesting for someone like myself, who is enjoying reading the experience of someone that walked in to this lease opportunity well informed and with a goal.

Best of luck out there! G

Old 03-26-2013, 01:14 PM
Board Regular

Thanks a lot belpre. This thread and the people commenting on it actually help me keep my head straight. Honestly so far my biggest obstacle has been murphys law. Yesterday i spent 4 hours in a ta getting my lights repaired (wire rubbed through and took out marker light and backing lights). Plus the windshield, key, the loading debacle. I was going to take the saylorsburg, pa load yesterday but it was 4 when i got repaired and i was pretty sure either: a: they wouldnt load me today or b: it's a coil or something equally awful so i called and got the asheville load and drove 40 miles home. I'll turn in 3 loads on this settlement (including asheville) so the truck will be paid for and ishould make a little something. Then i really want a LONG load. maybe one out and back and be home saturday morning.(HOT date ive been waiting on forever!)

If i had to give a newbie to malone advice id say 1. Get that first run under your belt (as with all companies). 2. Stop and take the time and get everythign you can find on your truck fixed. 3. Go to a good ta (spartanburg sc is great for this especially prices) and buy miscellaneous securement. And be honest and tell people youre a newbie to flatbed. Ive gotten a lot of help. One of the most important things i learned was how to fold a tarp so it's prepped. I always fold mine on the flatbed now.. it freaks some old hands out but it works and keeps it clean.